The RealReal shoppers buying from canada be aware!!

Just received an invoice from my last TRR shipment with value of USD$100, and called UPS to explain the charges. Here is what I have heard.

The declared value is USD$100 that I paid to TRR (price of the item before shipment) that they have translated into CAD $131. On this amount, the charges are:

Assessed duty of 18% - $23.46
Assessed tax of 13% of that amount - $19.99
Bond disbursement that is the UPS charges for them paying duty on my behalf - $ 1.32
Total pay is CAD $44.77

The UPS says that if you pay online, you save $5. They note that 'savings are the result of the elimination of the Import Collect on Delivery (ICOD) fee applied to driver collections, where online payment is made prior to delivery'.

An interesting thing though that an amount upon receiving a TRR item in Canada can still be less than expected. A couple of weeks ago I have purchased an item that was more expensive than the above example, but my charges were less. I asked UPS the question, and they explained that it depends on the declared Country of Manufacture. In the example with the more expensive item with less charges, the item was declared as 'made in the US'. That may have eliminated the duties. In the case with the less expensive item but more charges, the Country of Manufacture was indicated as 'made in Italy'. That may have triggered the duties.

Therefore, the amount that we pay locally for the TRR purchases also depends on the country of manufacture. My guess would be that in the above post, the TRR might have declared a non-US country as the country of manufacture.

Inspired by muchstuff, I dialed the Customs Canada at 1-800-461-9999, and the customs officer explained that if the Country of Origin is incorrectly indicated on the shipped item, I have to go to the www.cbsa.gc.ca and fill out the form B2G. To prove a different country of origin, I have to present a letter from the shipper about the country or origin.
In my recent shipment, all tags have been removed from the dress but the TRR still has indicated 'Italy' as country of origin on the customs document. Their act resulted in extra costs for me, albeit a small surcharge though.

For Canadian import, NAFTA precludes duties being charged on Made in US or Made in Mexico items shipped within North America. CETA precludes duties being charged on Made in anywhere in Europe and shipped directly from Europe. Then you are only charged the GST/HST and whatever brokerage fee UPS/FEDEX/DHL decides to charge.

However, this doesn't include Made in Europe shipped within North America (nor Made in North America shipped from Europe - although why would you?). I learned that one the hard way.

BTW, if anyone in Canada is buying from eBay, the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Calculator had still not be updated with the September 2017 duty-free CETA, the last time I looked, so the charges of made in europe, shipped directly from europe are incorrect (and astronomical).

Reactions: BelleZeBoob and KS3
One more unpleasant news about the TRR for Canadians. Just tried to pay for an item from my PayPal USD balance, as i usually did with no problems. Despite the screen said that my PayPal balance will be used first (which is set as my preferred one), the next screen has informed that the money will be taken from my linked CAD bank account. That means draconic currency conversion! At that step, I have stopped. Asked the PayPal on how to pay with my USD balance.