Shopping for an engagement ring...t&co, cartier, vera????!

I have a Tiffany e-ring and eternity band and LOVE it!! Your budget was around the same as ours, and you'll ge a great setting from them. Tiffany holds the value well, which is a plus over wholesale diamonds which don't have a "brand". But you will able to get a much larger stone if you don't buy a brand name.

wow, that's an amazing costco ring!!!

I just tried on the tiffany again, this time a 1.30 carat, VVS2, H color that cost about $18,000. It looks freakishly big on my size 4 1/2 finger but I LOVE IT.

I am also considering Hearts on Fire? Do you guys have an opinion on it? I just seems like I can get the same carat size with a fancier setting for much cheaper if it's not tiffany. I like the split shank look, and also the cushion-ish stone. Here's one to look at. Diamond Jewelry By Hearts On Fire - Engagement Rings, Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets, Accessories

I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!!!! AGHHHHHHH!

wow, that's an amazing costco ring!!!

I just tried on the tiffany again, this time a 1.30 carat, VVS2, H color that cost about $18,000. It looks freakishly big on my size 4 1/2 finger but I LOVE IT.

I am also considering Hearts on Fire? Do you guys have an opinion on it? I just seems like I can get the same carat size with a fancier setting for much cheaper if it's not tiffany. I like the split shank look, and also the cushion-ish stone. Here's one to look at. Diamond Jewelry By Hearts On Fire - Engagement Rings, Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets, Accessories

I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!!!! AGHHHHHHH!

by the way, the sales person at T&Co put the ring underneath something to block out the light, and the diamond still sparkled like mad! do hearts on fire diamonds do that too? Or is it hearts and arrows?

I really like the designs of Daniel K and Mark Patterson, which are affordable, and allow you to choose your diamond loose. Larger jewelry houses like Tiffany's and Cartier have lovely items as well, but you pay a premium for the brand name. Have fun in your search!

Daniel K (Daniel K Diamonds)

Mark Patterson (see Michael C Fina web site under engagement rings)

Another great site with beautiful rings is: Diamond Jewelry, Diamond Engagement Rings, Estate Jewelry, Antique Engagement Ring

In the end my fiance and I went with the classic Tiffany solitaire in a little over a carat. I have to say that I love my ring. Its not just the diamond, I really can't tell you how much I love the classic Tiffany setting. Its simple, but also very delicate in comparison to other settings. Lots of other rings look clunky to me. I also like how I can wear it with alot of different looks and it will go. I decided against something with paves or a fancier setting in part because my fiance is very sentimental and would never want me to get a different ring - I don't think I would either actually. Also I was worried that these looks will look dated in 5-10 years like some of the 80s style marquise cut rings I see. People should get what they love, this is just my opinion.

Anyways, I hope you pick a ring soon! Its soooo great to finally have and wear your engagement ring! I can't stop looking at mine and I have to say that I think it sparkles more than others, but that's just my opinion.

20,000 is a great budge to be working with! I purchased my wedding band at Tiffany's (platinum etoile band) and my engagement ring from Bailey Banks and Biddle. The designer was Ritani, and he had a setting that matched PERFECTLY! You can pick from their amazing collection of diamonds. Also if you don't mind ordering online, Certified Loose Diamonds at Excellent Prices has an UNBELIEVABLE amount of diamonds (white, or colored) and settings. Have fun looking!

I tried on an amazing Daniel K ring when we were ring shopping. It was beautiful, but almost 4 times our spending range!

I hear what you are saying! His settings alone can be $5k - $10k! Its a hard choice though because they are so beautiful. I think I would probably put that into my diamond and then upgrade the setting later :smile: I really like the one called "Rosebud".

Get what you LOVE, and will wear forever! Follow your heart! Tiffany, Cartier are both excellent choices! I was just viewing the Tiffany setting, absolutely breathtaking. Something about how simple it is, makes it soooo romantic. :love:
Have you thought of other jewelers? Harry Winston maybe?

I seriously suggest buying a loose diamond because you get better quality for the same price as a tiffany diamond. what you can do is go to the stores that sell loose diamonds and look for the quality and carat you want. if they dont have it, they usually take your phone number down and call u when they have what you want. robbins brothers have a great selection of loose diamonds. their prices are pretty good....u can ask to speak to the manager and say your friend got something at this price, so make up a price that you want....hahaha.....and guess wut, u can negotiate the price with them....and probably get a free setting. and there's a better deal if u pay cash. their price was very good, but i couldnt find what i wanted. actually, they had a 1.5 for the same price as my 1.37...but the 1.37 had better quality. it was a d, vvs2, hearts and arrow. and it just took my breath away.....even though i always complain that its too small, but i'm actually very happy with it. i always feel happy about the diamond because it has hearts in it which resembles our love. and guess wut....i later realized there was a meaning to our diamond....our anniversary is march 17.....and when u rearrange the numbers of 317, its our diamond size....1.37.......so even though its not a big diamond, i love it soooo much. i wish my finger was small so it would look big on me...hehehe....but my ring size is a 6 or 8, i forgot....heheheh....
sometimes buying a diamond, theres a gut feeling that that's the one.
at first, my bf wanted to buy a 1 carat only...hahahha....but when we saw this one, he seemed hypnotized and said "i'll take this" hoohhoho....he said the color was as white as a paper...hahahha........and the hearts & arrow meaning took my breath away cuz it makes the diamond special.
FYI, the hearts & arrow seem to always shine in every angle and when i have lotion on it, its still pretty.....it makes it soooo white and colorless...and i feel that it shines even more with a film at the bottom of the stone....hahahha.....so u dont have to wash it as much.
it takes a lot of time to find that perfect ring you want, so please dont rush it!!! i hope my experience and suggestions help you in deciding what to get. i'm thinking of just getting the wedding band at tiffanys. my ring is the simple solitaire which resembles me....a simple girl. but i want my band to be a thin row of round diamonds...i think its so cute and sexy....hehehe
at first, i was thinking of a princess cut cuz i will get a bigger diamond for the same price. but i honestly always wanted the round one. princess cut is cheaper than a round diamond. but i'm soooo glad that i got the round one.....cuz thats what i always wanted....and the resale value is higher, even though i'm not thinking of selling it.
sorry my message was so long, but i just wanted to share my experience and hope it will help your decision.

-happi

cartier would be my pick for sure!!! i am soo far away from being engaged, but I was at the cartier store a few weeks ago in SF looking at the love collection and while my bf wandered off to see the watches, i tried on all these gorgeous engagement rings! i really love their style...i don't really understand much about diamonds/rings, but i remember going next door into bvlgari (just out of pure curiousity) and i definitely liked the cartier designs much much more!

ok the real answer to investment it cartier. while no matter where you get the diamond, it is still a diamond, name does matter for 'investment' purposes. others may think it is all marketing xxxx, but cartier changes designs every few decades like tiffany's (with the exception of a few designs). either way, by the time your older your ring will be a vintage cartier 2010 or whatever. it will be valued more than the day you bought it simply for that fact.

the other day i was shopping for vintage tiffany's jewelry and the prices are in the thousands more for items that are similar to ones made today.

tiffany's will absolutely be a great investment, but cartier is just a bit better. both will always be free to care for if you walk in they will clean it and check the settings. if a setting is lose or the diamond falls out i know some care plans will replace it! high end places like these may seem silly to some but you know you'll get the BEST of the 4 C's (cut clarity color and the inflated cost for the perfect of perfect diamonds), you'll have the bets customer care, and great care in the future with free cleanings!! which are very important.

with a name brand honestly you cant go wrong. so if the cartier ends up being to pricey for your budget, which it may end up, tiffany's is a great choice. they also have far more single shops open so going in to get a cleaning is really easy.

also one tier up from cartier is chopard. truly amazing jewelry. i also recomend going to auction!! southeby's or christies always has rings on auction and generally they are vintage (early 1900's) cartier, tiffany's etc rings and they are beyond gorgeous!!

auction will be where i'll get mine!

Last edited by a moderator: