rolex resale value myths

I paid $5200 for my Sea-Dweller in 2005, and it sells for over $10k now. It was definitely an investment and is worth more than I paid. That said, the Datejsut models and models with gold don't hold value as well, but those are best purchased used!

I don't know much about Rolex. But for cartier, the 18k gold watches once they are discontinued actually appreciate in value. And the person is right about the $500 service potentially being needed but a service basically makes it a brand new watch and with polishing if it was taken care of it could look brand new! I would definitely sell private party than to a retailer though. You'll definitely make more

I know this thread was from a while ago but how does one go about finding a reputable reseller? I really want a Rolex but am happy to go the preowned route...

The only way I know is to go with a reseller who is or uses a Rolex authorized service facility. That way you will know all the parts you can't see are genuine Rolex. There will be much cheaper resellers but if you want complete peace of mind your dealer should have official Rolex approval.

So saying my DH is a watch fanatic with a great Rolex collection, he now knows a lot and does buy from small independents rather than the big pricier dealers but there was a learning curve.

If you or a friend know an independent jewellery appraiser they should be able to make a couple of recommendations.

The only way I know is to go with a reseller who is or uses a Rolex authorized service facility. That way you will know all the parts you can't see are genuine Rolex. There will be much cheaper resellers but if you want complete peace of mind your dealer should have official Rolex approval.

So saying my DH is a watch fanatic with a great Rolex collection, he now knows a lot and does buy from small independents rather than the big pricier dealers but there was a learning curve.

If you or a friend know an independent jewellery appraiser they should be able to make a couple of recommendations.

Interesting...thanks so much!

Should also add if a watch is "iced" which means the diamonds are added aftermarket Rolex will not service the watch.

It's still a Rolex and icing can be tasteful and more interesting than a standard Rolex design but don't take it to Rolex for service.

Reactions: Cogmarks
I was definitely under the impression that rolexes went up in value. I paid of 6K for my Rolex and was offered 1300 cash. I was in complete shock but this post confirms they were not trying to rip me off. I decided to keep mines as well

I was definitely under the impression that rolexes went up in value. I paid of 6K for my Rolex and was offered 1300 cash. I was in complete shock but this post confirms they were not trying to rip me off. I decided to keep mines as well

Many Rolexes have gone up in value but those are vintage models from the times that Rolex was reliable watch sold at a reasonable price. Decades later, Rolex now produces millions of watches a year and retails them as a luxury product throughout the world.

There is no real scarcity so the resale market on watches from the 70s onwards for the most part haven’t increased in value outside of certain models.

The only price that is consistently increasing is the cost of a new Rolex in a store due to their aggressive marketing tactics and the short leash they keep their dealers on in order to stop discounting.

Many Rolexes have gone up in value but those are vintage models from the times that Rolex was reliable watch sold at a reasonable price. Decades later, Rolex now produces millions of watches a year and retails them as a luxury product throughout the world.

There is no real scarcity so the resale market on watches from the 70s onwards for the most part haven’t increased in value outside of certain models.

The only price that is consistently increasing is the cost of a new Rolex in a store due to their aggressive marketing tactics and the short leash they keep their dealers on in order to stop discounting.
Thank you so much! I purchased
my Rolex preowned in 2016 so there are
manys things I didn’t understand as I do now.