RealReal shares plunge as poor training casts doubt on "no fakes" pledge...

Wow, this thread is so interesting. I have had nothing but great experiences with therealreal. I've bought at least 10 Chanel bags from them and they were all authentic. I've purchased other items as well, including some Hermes bags, some clothing, and some fine jewelry (20k - 30k pieces), and it was all authentic as well (and yes I had the jewelry checked by a jeweler).

I have purchased bags that didn't match the description in terms of condition - say, maybe an odor I didn't care for, or a stain the pictures didn't show. I never had a problem returning anything. Even though they say final sale, in my experience, if the description doesn't match what you receive, they allow a hassle-free return (and they even pay for shipping it back). I recommend not calling, and emailing instead. I did one time get a not-so-friendly lady on the phone who seemed like she was doing me such a big favor granting me a return, but with email I've never encountered that. They graciously grant the return, no issue, within 24 hours.

I personally really like theRealReal....but hey, if less people shop there it's better for me...it means there's more of a chance the super rare, hard to find, coveted pieces will stick around longer & I'll be more likely to grab them!

That is only true for items that are returnable. But the return policy differs by item/categories. For purses, at least all the Chanel, Prada, Dior bags I've seen, there is a strict final sale policy, under the shipping & returns section for purses, it says: "This item is final sale and is not returnable."

They say this, but they have never refused a return for me when something was wrong with the item or didn't match description in any way.

However if you just don't like it in person or have buyers remorse, they won't allow a return for that which I think is fair.

I don't think this is accurate information. Chanel, Hermes, LV and other designer BAGS are final sale and have a no return policy. You can call and ask if they will allow a return but there are no bag returns allowed unless you are given an exception. It clearly states on almost every single luxury bag "This item is final sale and is not returnable."
I’ve returned several designer bags that have said final sale, due to undisclosed issues. No arguments, full refund.

I’ve returned several designer bags that have said final sale, due to undisclosed issues. No arguments, full refund.
Their policy is clearly listed. It doesn't say to give them a call and hope you get a refund. If they are willing to grant refunds to everyone who calls, then that should be a policy that is listed for buyers. It's a major deterrent to see that and the issue is that when you say "final sale" you better be selling something authentic because many people will read the refund policy and not try. They often want photos to back up your claim before they issue a refund, or you end up with a nasty rep who doesn't really want to hear your story, so it's not just ask and you receive. You're treated poorly in the process.

I bought 2 bags so far with real real, No problems so far, I go in the store, inspect the items before purchase. Actually the pricing was great as condition was almost new at almost half price. I bought the capucines and petite malle. I bought when they had promotion of $250 gift card toward next purchase.

Their policy is clearly listed. It doesn't say to give them a call and hope you get a refund. If they are willing to grant refunds to everyone who calls, then that should be a policy that is listed for buyers. It's a major deterrent to see that and the issue is that when you say "final sale" you better be selling something authentic because many people will read the refund policy and not try. They often want photos to back up your claim before they issue a refund, or you end up with a nasty rep who doesn't really want to hear your story, so it's not just ask and you receive. You're treated poorly in the process.

I've never been treated poorly and I never have been asked to send pictures (although I did volunteer pictures a couple of times, just because it makes sense to me to do that).

I think it is written the way it is written so people don't abuse it. They don't want to have to grant a refund to everyone no matter what. They don't want people buying multiple bags a month and returning them all. They don't want to risk people using a bag for a special occasion with the tag hidden somehow, and then returning it days or weeks after - possibly in worse condition. They don't want people doing a return just because they don't like the bag in person or changed their mind. If you have a REAL problem - like the bag really does not match description - they won't have a problem (unless you are buying & returning bags frequently, and never keep anything, which gives you a not-so-good track record in the company).

Fashionphile is very unique in that they allow 30 day returns, no matter what. But I have noticed lately they are changing the placement of their tags and making it so someone could not use the bag without removing the tag first.

I've never been treated poorly and I never have been asked to send pictures (although I did volunteer pictures a couple of times, just because it makes sense to me to do that).

I think it is written the way it is written so people don't abuse it. They don't want to have to grant a refund to everyone no matter what. They don't want people buying multiple bags a month and returning them all. They don't want to risk people using a bag for a special occasion with the tag hidden somehow, and then returning it days or weeks after - possibly in worse condition. They don't want people doing a return just because they don't like the bag in person or changed their mind. If you have a REAL problem - like the bag really does not match description - they won't have a problem (unless you are buying & returning bags frequently, and never keep anything, which gives you a not-so-good track record in the company).

Fashionphile is very unique in that they allow 30 day returns, no matter what. But I have noticed lately they are changing the placement of their tags and making it so someone could not use the bag without removing the tag first.
If a company doesn't want returns, they shouldn't be in business, lol. I'm sure we'll see some changes coming soon to TRR.

I’m not defending the company, I’m merely mentioning my experience with them. Maybe I was lucky but the three issues I had were all dealt with in a professional manner and I was able to return the bags for a full refund with free shipping.

Oh No! I have been looking at a bag on Rebelle but was afraid to purchase because of the low site rating on here. The seller also has it on Vestiare Collective which I thought was ok but maybe not.

Rebelle is totally horrible, sold something recently and they paid out but less than they agreed to, keep emailing them, no reply, total shysters

I don't think this is accurate information. Chanel, Hermes, LV and other designer BAGS are final sale and have a no return policy. You can call and ask if they will allow a return but there are no bag returns allowed unless you are given an exception. It clearly states on almost every single luxury bag "This item is final sale and is not returnable."
Yes it does say no returns. However I've returned three or four bags in spite of that written policy, with no argument at all. Each bag I returned had an issue that I wasn't happy about. Another bag had an issue but I want to keep it so they gave me a store credit for a small part of the purchase price. No problems, the gals I spoke to have all been very pleasant. They also paid the return shipping. I've purchased maybe a dozen bags that I've been happy with. That's not to say that there isn't vast room for improvement but I'll keep buying for now.

Reactions: Glitterbomb