Pros & Cons of Platinum/White Gold/Palladium/Titanium, etc.

illinirdhd, is the rubbing issue not a problem with palladium and wg together? I know that wg and plat are not safe to wear together, but I haven't heard anything yet about wg and palladium.

I was wondering this also. I have heard the same thing about WG and Plat too, although the effects explained were over long-term.

musey- thanks for the input. I never even thought about the different percentage mixes b/t the metals. oy, what a load!

My bf is pretty dead set on getting the e-ring at Robbins Bros (might only be in CA) and they have rings by all sorts of designers. they have pretty good policies on replacement, cleaning, upgrading, etc (still have to familiarize myself w/ their standard policy vs. warrantee programs). AND best of all their diamonds are all conflict free as certified by the Kimberly Process. So for that I *cough*FH*cough* wouldnt mind paying a little extra than smaller retailers who may or may not have conflict free diamonds :sad:

I also think I've read that it can be difficult to find someone to work on palladium b/c it is not common yet? I'd make sure you have someone in your area that knows how and even what it is.

My bf is pretty dead set on getting the e-ring at Robbins Bros (might only be in CA) and they have rings by all sorts of designers. they have pretty good policies on replacement, cleaning, upgrading, etc (still have to familiarize myself w/ their standard policy vs. warrantee programs). AND best of all their diamonds are all conflict free as certified by the Kimberly Process. So for that I *cough*FH*cough* wouldnt mind paying a little extra than smaller retailers who may or may not have conflict free diamonds :sad:
95% of retailers carry conflict-free diamonds only because of the Kimberley Process, and you can ask for certification to guarantee that.

Here's a statement from WhiteFlash on the standing of their inventory:
All diamonds at Whiteflash have been purchased from legitimate sources uninvolved in funding conflicts and in compliance with United Nations Resolutions. We have ensured that our diamonds are conflict free based on personal/written guarantees and declarations required by law, provided to us by our diamond suppliers.

You'll pay roughly one and a half times at Robbins Bros than you would at the most reputable of online vendors (WhiteFlash, James Allen, and Good Old Gold to name a few), but you will get what you think you are getting because their diamonds are well certified (unlike my bro whose diamond was poorly certified--he thought he was getting an H/VS2 that was more likely a K/SI3). Going with a highly reputable online vendor means a big difference in price, that could either be saved or used to increase the carat weight of your stone or the quality of your setting.

As for replacement, the Robbins Bros. website states that they'll "provide" insurance coverage that protects you for one year, which basically means they point you to an insurance provider from whom you can purchase a policy. I don't know anything about their provider (Touchstone Insurance LLC), but most people choose to just include their diamond/setting on their homeowner's/renter's insurance policy or purchase a separate policy (Chubb is popular with the pricescope crowd).

Most stores will clean your ring for free, but you can buy your own if you want to (steamers and ultrasonics usually run between $30-150).

I just read the Robbins Bros. upgrading policy:
If you trade in your center diamond of ¼ carat or larger, purchased at Robbins Bros., you'll receive the full purchase price toward another diamond of at least twice the original purchase price. All you'll need is your original receipt to verify the purchase price.

Here is the policy of WhiteFlash:
We have a lifetime trade-up policy. We will credit you with 100% of the original diamond purchase price towards a diamond of greater value.

Sorry to be nosy, and I don't want to be pushy about it, just always want to help :smile:

thanks musey! you've done more of my own research than I have :lol: thanks for the site links! will definitely check them out! i'm so glad you gals have experience w/ this stuff, and sorry to hear your brother's diamond was SO far off from the certification :s

thanks musey! you've done more of my own research than I have :lol: thanks for the site links! will definitely check them out! i'm so glad you gals have experience w/ this stuff, and sorry to hear your brother's diamond was SO far off from the certification :s
No problem!! I hope it helps, and I hope that you get the ring of your absolute dreams!!! :okay:

Thanks, ame! Gotta love us redheads!!

I'm a redhead too!

I'm also always on a quest for the PERFECT color - much like yours in your avatar, I also love Kate Walsh's and Debra Messing's. I've looked online for the colors they use, and can't find anything! If your red is enhanced (like mine, naturally red, but needs a little something!), I'd love to know which color you use... TIA!

Sorry for getting off topic... ;)

Both my rings are platinum. I was after something durable that was easy to maintain and platinum was my best option.

Husband's ring however is 18K gold with platinum inlay. We originally wanted to get him a plain platinum ring but didn't suit his skintone so we found one that was a mix of both.

I'm a redhead too!

I'm also always on a quest for the PERFECT color - much like yours in your avatar, I also love Kate Walsh's and Debra Messing's. I've looked online for the colors they use, and can't find anything! If your red is enhanced (like mine, naturally red, but needs a little something!), I'd love to know which color you use... TIA!

Sorry for getting off topic... ;)
I made the mistake of going blonde three years ago, and my slow-growing hair still shows a bit of it in the bottom 1/3. The red I have in the pic is what came out when my stylist tried to dye it back to my natural color, and it's basically the same, just a bit darker.

However, before she started fixing it for me, I was spot-treating with Natural Instincts... I think I used Navajo Bronze a couple of times, and it's good, but not quite as red, a little more brown.

illinirdhd, is the rubbing issue not a problem with palladium and wg together? I know that wg and plat are not safe to wear together, but I haven't heard anything yet about wg and palladium.

The short answer is... I don't know. I *believe* the rubbing will affect the white gold more than it will the palladium, so I'll probably have to have my wedding band replated more often than I might otherwise. I don't mind that so much - I just wasn't finding what I wanted in palladium wedding bands (there aren't many to be found yet, and I didn't have time to special order from Tacori or want to spend that much more $$$ for a name brand).

We bought our wedding bands at Jared - they have a similar upgrade policy to the one posted from Robbins Bros. We did have to buy the warranty policy for both rings to get all of the extra stone replacement/upgrade options, but it wasn't expensive - maybe $75? I liked the Jared policies, and that they're a nationwide store (good since DH's work may not let us stay here much longer), and DH liked the store manager we worked with, so that sealed the deal.

I read somewhere that if palladium is not treated properly during sizing, setting stones, etc (I think something to do with heating and cooling it just so), it will crackle - like a spiderweb effect - and be ruined. So if you choose palladium and need it sized, be sure you go back to the place where you bought it or take it to someone who really knows palladium. I think cost-wise it's about the same to size palladium as anything else.

I made the mistake of going blonde three years ago, and my slow-growing hair still shows a bit of it in the bottom 1/3. The red I have in the pic is what came out when my stylist tried to dye it back to my natural color, and it's basically the same, just a bit darker.

However, before she started fixing it for me, I was spot-treating with Natural Instincts... I think I used Navajo Bronze a couple of times, and it's good, but not quite as red, a little more brown.

I did that too! I was really blond for a while & my hair hasn't recovered either! Also, red fades quickly and living in the desert doesn't help! I end up running color through my hair about every 4 weeks (I don't let it set very long - my mom's a hairdresser, so she coaches me on how to do it with as little damage as possible!).

Notice to redheads - if you ever want to be red again, don't go blond! :nogood:

OK so now, how do the prices compare to each other? does anyone know the order from least expensive < most expensive for all these different metals? like would palladium cost less than platinum but more than white gold? you catch my drift. :confused1: