Price difference on bags in same leather type but different colors?

Wow, this forum is really great!
@momoc , I believe you got the answer for my question! great findings! Thank you so much!
I checked my receipt, it is written "Boreale I2 Nata", the code is H077778CPI2.
Haha, I can't tell the difference from the outlook of these 2 different ostrich leather from the Calvi's photos you found. But at least I know why there is a price difference right now.
Appreciated with your help!
@H Route , as mentioned by @acrowcounted, for Hermes, different colors never lead to a different price (when leather + all other specs are the same). But in your specific case, you mentioned it's Ostrich. There are in fact currently 2 Ostrich "leathers". One is "Ostrich" and the other is "Boreale Ostrich" (which I think is some sort of special / specific dyeing and/or processing method, but don't quote me on that I never figured that out in detail). I don't know for sure if one is more expensive than the other but they are distinguished (i.e. when ostrich products show up on hermes.com they are labelled "ostrich" or "boreale ostrich") and their product reference codes are different. For mini lindy for example, the "boreale ostrich" one is product code H080132 whereas the "ostrich" is H079204. Very interested to see if you and your friend can check your receipts and see different product codes for your Roulises that may suggest this is the case!

ETA: I believe H077778 is the code for the "boreale ostrich" mini Roulis

ETA again: yep I think this may be it. You can see the following Calvis on the Australia website showing different prices between the 2 types of ostrich. Boreale is more expensive

View attachment 5781809

View attachment 5781810

Last edited:
Wow, this forum is really great!
@momoc , I believe you got the answer for my question! great findings! Thank you so much!
I checked my receipt, it is written "Boreale I2 Nata", the code is H077778CPI2.
Haha, I can't tell the difference from the outlook of these 2 different ostrich leather from the Calvi's photos you found. But at least I know why there is a price difference right now.
Appreciated with your help!

You are welcome! While I knew this newer ostrich existed (it was introduced very recently - 2022 maybe?), I didn’t think to check if Hermes priced it differently until I looked into it due to your question!

From what I remember reading, the “boreale” processing technique supposedly makes it possible to have more colors in Ostrich; previously certain colors won’t show well in Ostrich which would have blue / grayish undertones. It’s also maybe smoother. I wonder if Hermes will eventually replace all their ostrich with this newer type.

Enjoy your new Roulis!

Thanks a lot for telling me more about the boreale processing, you inspired me to recall my memory that I didn't find the other light ostrich bag I saw before to be so impressive as mine.
The new boreale ostrich in Nata is so creamy and white and no feel of grayish undertone at all. I love it so much. Now I am more than happy to pay this extra 1K to obtain a new ostrich leather. Hermes is such a wonderful brand to keep updating their technique to improve better performance!

• Love
Reactions: 880 and momoc
@H Route , as mentioned by @acrowcounted, for Hermes, different colors never lead to a different price (when leather + all other specs are the same). But in your specific case, you mentioned it's Ostrich. There are in fact currently 2 Ostrich "leathers". One is "Ostrich" and the other is "Boreale Ostrich" (which I think is some sort of special / specific dyeing and/or processing method, but don't quote me on that I never figured that out in detail). I don't know for sure if one is more expensive than the other but they are distinguished (i.e. when ostrich products show up on hermes.com they are labelled "ostrich" or "boreale ostrich") and their product reference codes are different. For mini lindy for example, the "boreale ostrich" one is product code H080132 whereas the "ostrich" is H079204. Very interested to see if you and your friend can check your receipts and see different product codes for your Roulises that may suggest this is the case!

ETA: I believe H077778 is the code for the "boreale ostrich" mini Roulis

ETA again: yep I think this may be it. You can see the following Calvis on the Australia website showing different prices between the 2 types of ostrich. Boreale is more expensive

View attachment 5781809

View attachment 5781810
Thank you for explaining this so well! It’s a discrepancy I noticed after adding my Ostrich Boreale MKII to the pricing thread - you can see there’s another post-increase Ostrich MKII which is less expensive than what I posted. I assumed that this must be the difference.

Reactions: momoc
Thank you for explaining this so well! It’s a discrepancy I noticed after adding my Ostrich Boreale MKII to the pricing thread - you can see there’s another post-increase Ostrich MKII which is less expensive than what I posted. I assumed that this must be the difference.
Agreed very helpful and informative @momoc! I posted the MKII after @Notorious Pink, mine is black - and looked at my receipt and it says just “Ostrich.”

Curious which colors are using the other processed Ostrich as my jaune citron mini bolide 1923 that I purchased after my MKII is boreale.

Reactions: momoc
May I know which one is the pricing thread? Thank you!