Old NYT article on Handbags but still interesting

minicoop said:
I agree. I often think twice about a starbucks because I feel I can just brew it at home or at work. But I just love my bags. I think if I can stay sensible, not go into debt, still put money away in other savings and investments, then why not?

Yessssssss! I don't get Starbucks! Four bucks for a cup of coffee?! But you know what, for people who enjoy coffee: more power to you. I guess I don't love it that much. Folgers for me!

I agree with the give and take. If you can buy with or without saving for the that handbag and still be able to invest and not go into debt, then I agree that it is sensible.

On the coffee subject...does anyone use the Toddy Maker to make their coffee? I have it and can't live without it. It is the BEST coffee ever!! (I like Community Coffee from Louisiana) It is cold brewed, you just put in a pound of coffee, pour the water over it, let it sit overnight. Then in the morning let it filter, you have coffee concentrate that is stored in the fridge for two weeks. All you have to do is pour boiling water over the concentrate or concentrate and water in the microwave. Perfect coffee!!! If you are a coffee lover, try it, better than gourmet or Starbucks $4 coffee!! Perfect for iced coffee, too.

You're welcome, it will change your life!! Sometimes when my toddy coffee runs out and I forget to make it the night before, I brew in the coffee maker and it is horrible in comparison, too bitter. Just think, saving electricity and filters for more bag money :smile:

An aside here- I go overboard on a few things- one of them is coffee and I roast my own beans and grind them- brew in a french press. Cheaper but more time consuming. Mornings are total nirvana.

Anyway, I liked the article it made me do some self examination. The thing that bothers me about the whole "It" bag phenomenon is that the quality of the bags can be poor at times and I can't even justify to myself that "at least I am getting a quality bag that I can hand down to family". I understand that I'm paying for name, and status, and even marketing/advertising, but I really hate when they compromise the quality thinking that we won't notice.

Bagpuss said:
An aside here- I go overboard on a few things- one of them is coffee and I roast my own beans and grind them- brew in a french press. Cheaper but more time consuming. Mornings are total nirvana.

Anyway, I liked the article it made me do some self examination. The thing that bothers me about the whole "It" bag phenomenon is that the quality of the bags can be poor at times and I can't even justify to myself that "at least I am getting a quality bag that I can hand down to family". I understand that I'm paying for name, and status, and even marketing/advertising, but I really hate when they compromise the quality thinking that we won't notice.

I agree, when bags become 'It' bags, then the production increases to meet demand and the quality fails sometimes. That is why I feel it is important to voice complaints to the fashion houses directly, not just the retailer like Neiman's.

On the coffee note, I use to use the french press, but like the toddy so much better because hot water isn't used to brew the coffee, eliminating the bitterness. I sound like a commercial.