My Going Grey Gracefully Journey.

Good for you, Narnanz! Your progress is beautiful. I’m into it by a few months now. Wanted to start earlier last year, but kept the dye going until our son’s wedding in September. My natural color is dark brown, and after 25 years of monthly root jobs, I’m done! My “new” hair is white, so I have quite a bit of contrast going on! Kind of torn between just going cold turkey for awhile, or letting my hairdresser high/lowlight it. I’m going to try to grin and bear it, and enjoy the ride, at least for another month!

I’m wearing less makeup in general, too much emphasizes the wrinkles and crepeyness. I do use tinted primers to minimize the red tones in my skin color, and a cooler foundation shade. Minimum makeup overall, but I’m tending to use bolder lip colors.
I can think of three women I know casually who are not what I'd call old and have natural grey hair. One has long straight hair that is white but really looks more blonde. She's slender and dresses youthfully; looks good.
Number two is maybe in her late 50's, Irish and wears her hair medium length - not very short but not long. She happens to have a pretty face and looks good. Not really old for her age.
Third one is 63 or so. Wears her grey hair short. Not much makeup. Fair skin. I think she looks pretty old for her age.
To each her own. Its a very individual thing.

Good for you, Narnanz! Your progress is beautiful. I’m into it by a few months now. Wanted to start earlier last year, but kept the dye going until our son’s wedding in September. My natural color is dark brown, and after 25 years of monthly root jobs, I’m done! My “new” hair is white, so I have quite a bit of contrast going on! Kind of torn between just going cold turkey for awhile, or letting my hairdresser high/lowlight it. I’m going to try to grin and bear it, and enjoy the ride, at least for another month!
I think it is much worse for those of us with dark hair. Way too much contrast. If you get anything done, please post pictures.

I feel fortunate as my hair was medium blonde with some natural highlights when I was young. Some grey started in my 30s. I started with highlights in my late 30s. I wore it short until I was about 50. As it grew out, it was clear my temples where white and spreading to at least 75%of the front of my head (thanks Mom!) ! So I still get highlights for the back of my head, which has darkened and some in the front, with some low lights through the white from my temples ( I wear an angled bob). So I look like a blond that is going gray. Which I like, as it suits my age.
I have been lucky to find great stylists/colorists at a bargain. The current woman I go to is at a chain that I found by pure luck as a walk-in 4 years ago. I will go with highlights / lowlights until I am ready for being mostly white (in 10, 15 years? we’ll see). I only need to do it every 4-5 months.
I support letting the gray, white come in. Btw, OP, great texture in the layers.

Thank you for this thread. I'd love to stop coloring but my DH isn't ready. My mom reached a point when the dye just wouldn't take without bleaching first. That was when she gave up and went natural.
I remember when my mom decided to stop coloring her hair, my dad didn’t like it. He tried to spin it as she was to youthful looking to do it.

Reactions: whateve
I intentionally was silver about a year, but with lowlights. Wondering if I could hide the beginning grays with more gray! As someone mentioned, gray/silver dye is not permanent, but all the ‘fun’ colors aren’t.:amuse:
Silver/gray hair on ‘younger’ people is in now; thanks to ‘Game of Thrones’.
I hope they, like, make some leaps in silver dye technology soon to cash in on that.
Cheering for OP!

Reactions: pjrufus and Narnanz
I intentionally was silver about a year, but with lowlights. Wondering if I could hide the beginning grays with more gray! As someone mentioned, gray/silver dye is not permanent, but all the ‘fun’ colors aren’t.:amuse:
Silver/gray hair on ‘younger’ people is in now; thanks to ‘Game of Thrones’.
I hope they, like, make some leaps in silver dye technology soon to cash in on that.
Cheering for OP!

I actually found my colorist by looking for someone who specialized in the “fun” colors, mostly young people going from dark to pink, aqua, etc.

And . . . If your hairdresser insists that the best way to transition is to just cut off your long hair, go short, find another colorist. May have been the best way 30-40 yrs. ago, but you can keep your long hair and go silver now. Technology has progressed, hopefully, permanent greys are coming.

And . . . Can’t say enough about Olaplex when bleaching hair. Although I had highlights done for years without it and had no problems, when it came time to bleach my whole head (the first colorist) my hair was fried. I didn’t know about it until it was too late. It really can’t repair previous damage, IMO, but will totally prevent further damage.

I am potentially starting my journey today; I usually get highlights/lowlights every 12 weeks, my hair looks blonde with some lowlight streaks, and the gray roots barely show. My natural color was light/medium brown. Today I canceled my next color appointment, I am going to see how the roots look. I have an inch right now, so we'll see how I like it. I can always go natural then do some lowlights - right now I have what I think is double process color and it is $$. Will keep you all posted :smile:

I have just started getting some grey hair. Indeed, it shows up primarily right in the front at the part, like a streak, so it could be worse. I've decided to let it come in for now because I keep thinking if I start coloring it will be that much worse later on. I teach, so it is heresy not to color my hair, and I am probably the only woman in the building who doesn't. But I figure the kids already think I'm ancient, so why bother? I actually had one student tell me I needed to color my hair because it was showing grey, and I replied, "Why? I'm old!" He looked shocked for a minute and then said he'd never thought of it that way.

As for whether it is easier to go grey as a brunette or a blonde, that is up for debate. Some people think brunettes have it harder because the contrast is greater, while others prefer the contrast. Some people say being blonde is harder because grey doesn't "go" with blonde and they don't like the similar but different colors, while others think it blends in more so it is easier to transition. I think it is always easier for someone else to go grey, regardless of what color their hair is!

I think as long as one takes care of their hair it will look good no matter what the color. Using extra products such as a hair masque, products that will protect against heat and even something simple such as a few drops of a oil to calm flyaways. Add to his a good cut every now and then. I personally do not use anything on my hair to dry or style it. Air dry with a few drops of a oil product. My hair looks and feels very healthy.

I am undecided what to do with color right now. I last colored my hair myself about 3 months ago with a blond color and it blended in with my highlighted hair. I have some grey on short hair but it looks more like highlights. I am sick of blond blond color and want a change. I decided to get my hair cut back to a pixie cut and might actually ask my stylist to do a cap frosting with some blond color which might blend in everything versus doing lowlights and highlights. I have had this done before with my pixie and loved he results since it was softer than the frosting looks from many many years ago. Hopefully I see my stylish in two weeks, I am so ready for a change.

I think the progress pictures look great.