Kelly 40 vs. Birkin 40: Need workhorse. Too big? Also: Pre-loved or new?

I am new to Hermes and have begun my learning journey. Any insight you can provide is so appreciated. What do you mean when you say "Hermes is a slippery slope"? Thanks so much!

I have known Hermes for many years and have bought some accessories.
It was just over five years ago that I discovered the Kelly Sac a Depeches briefcase only to discover it was a rested design, so buying new was not an option. I found a beautiful pre-owned example in black box.
I had no need for any further bags. I now have seven others including a HAC 45 and had to resist buying a peau de porc Bolide because I had to accept that it would not be large enough for the purpose I had in mind. I will continue to have the pleasure of buy other non bag items.

I have known Hermes for many years and have bought some accessories.
It was just over five years ago that I discovered the Kelly Sac a Depeches briefcase only to discover it was a rested design, so buying new was not an option. I found a beautiful pre-owned example in black box.
I had no need for any further bags. I now have seven others including a HAC 45 and had to resist buying a peau de porc Bolide because I had to accept that it would not be large enough for the purpose I had in mind. I will continue to have the pleasure of buy other non bag items.
I started with one Kelly in Box, then added a Birkin, then a Kelly... what a rabbit hole. Last year I said I wasn't interested...lol

So A little update to the story. Last week, I felt brave enough so I went back to the Hermès store in Munich, and started chatting with one of the sales associates. At first she was a bit reserved when I mentioned that I wanted to look at a Kelly 40 for work, but then we got into talking about riding bikes through the city and some other things and she took me upstairs and showed me some bags. Not Birkins, but we looked at some other models (they also did not have a Kelly 40 in a test size), and I am kind of taken with the toolbox. I had looked at that bag before, and I am now obsessively reading all the threats here, but it seems to be a really versatile bag with all the requirements I had. With one exception-it may be too small in 26 to hold my laptop, and the 33 size is no longer produced, and also is lined with fabric, which I really don’t like. It must be leather interior I think. Any thoughts on these new developments? I am also listed now for a Kelley 40 in case they ever get one, but not sure they will.

You have got to address the issue of what an Hermes bag would tell the world.
It depends on the people with whom you come into contact; if they recognise the bag being Hermes and the associated amount of money you would have spent, then it might send a signal that could make you uncomfortable; HOWEVER most people would not be likely to recognise it, so there is nothing to consider; you will probably be very conscious of it fir the first few days, but it won't take long for it to be just the bag you are using for work.

Your choice of style does need more information. What kind if bag are you using now? how does it suit your needs? do you need constant easy access or the security of closure? if an open tote works for you the a Garden Party could be a good choice - lighter than a Birkin - a very popular and successful style. Remember that Hermes is the slippery slope, so perhaps start with one in canvas and progress.
The Birkin is the aspirational alternative - although it can be closed, how many times do you see it used properly closed? Do you want a bag that looks smart? For fear of upsetting people, just because a Birkin costs thousands it does not stop it being a tote (especially when kept open).
A Kelly demands to be closed properly and therefore retains its design and style; it will always look smart. Look at what you are using now and that will help you decide what is right for you.

With regards to size, as the bags get wider all the other dimensions increase proportionately.
The Birkin base is already proportionately larger than that if a Kelly, so by the time you get to 40 the base is quite large.

My style is experimental / stylish, cold colors. I am an architect, so it’s a mostly clean aesthetic but never conventional or conservative- abut also not what I call “MoMA chic”; think more Berlin style maybe?
I am now using bags by Jas MB and 0851 (the Canadian brand) for work, with a colorful Fendi strap.

Hello @annapurse

I just found this topic and have a lot to say :biggrin:

First of all, I think you should absolutely rock a B40. As some other Users said, the amazing pic of the Birkin in Vienna, really stands out. I feel that especially Hermés bags are build to have a little bit of Rock’n’Roll lifestyle :cool:.
Can’t see a Chanel styled and aged that cool.

Second, I feel you because of the work problem. I personally purchased a black Peekaboo because I could not see myself in a Kelly for work - the Peekaboo is so much more unknown, I just felt better that way.

But - you work in an good environment for that kind of bag and your description of your Berlin Style and your preferred bag (black B40) is just sooo cool! You should totally rock this!
I am (sadly) not somebody who can do that style but I adore it so much.

I just would recommend: no Twillys on the handles, no bag charms and a chilled attitude.

However (I am sorry), the Birkin 40 is a really, really heavy bag. I could not use the Fendi without the shoulder strap, just for beeing flexible how I carry it. I don’t know if you are able to bike with it, especially if it is loaded. :sad:

And: www.LuxusSachen.com is a really nice shop. I am in Hamburg and they have two boutiques here. I am just too scared (because of my lack of knowledg) to buy there. But if you do you research you have good chances. They had a lot of stunning Hermès bags during the last years.

Oh will look into the shop. I am now a bit on a Toolbox-Trip, or, maybe, a Kelly 40 (for the strap), but it would need to be a rocked down Kelly to be cool I think? (People might kill me for saying this here).

Anyhow, I will wait for my SA to call in these years - should I email her and thank her for the nice conversation and great advice?

Good luck :smile:
I think we know what you mean when you look for a rocked down Kelly. Perhaps in a more sloppy, softer kind of leather? And, have you considered the men’s purses? There are some pretty nice too.

Regarding the SA question, I don’t know. I waited four years for my Kelly and didn’t buy a lot during this time. I don’t think they knew me, but they called, as they promised.