JAR Jewelry

Thank you dear Kat for bumping up this wonderful thread, I've missed our regular chit chat about JAR (and other beautiful bling!) :smile:

I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to some of the comments here, I think it was a very busy period for me and was mostly spent offline :smile:

I hope you ladies were able to enjoy the JAR retrospective at the MET in late 2013. I went so many times, I lost track (at least 7-8 times!)

Just a few updates with photos.

First a rare photo of THE MASTER himself, Joel Arthur Rosenthal (gentleman in the very dark blue sweater) and his business and life partner Pierre Jeannet.

Attachments

• JARPicture.jpg
    JARPicture.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 703
A photo of one of Gwyneth's JAR pieces (which we discussed here previously.) This necklace was featured at the MET exhibit.

However, over the past few years, it seems Gwyneth has been adorning jewelry mostly from Anna Hu (another very talented jeweler, we discussed her on this thread previously.) Oprah and Madonna also wear a fair bit of Anna Hu.

Attachments

• GwynethJAR.jpg
    GwynethJAR.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 436
Marie Chantal of Greece's beautiful JAR earrings. For those who went to the exhibit, you will have noted several lovely pieces owned by her mother, loaned for the exhibit.

Attachments

• MCJar2.jpg
    MCJar2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 445
At the recent Christie's Magnificent Jewels auction in Geneva, this JAR bangle sold for about 3.5 million US Dollars, vs a pre-estimate of about US$300,000. Essentially sold for ten times what it was valued!!

This was the second highest price ever paid for a JAR piece at auction (behind the scenes, is another story and another staggering amount altogether!)

This is called the Parrot Tulip bangle, and I must admit it is not my favorite JAR piece. Having said that, I would not decline if someone offered to get this for me as a gift :graucho:

Attachments

• JARBangle.jpg
    JARBangle.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 384
  • JARBanglePic.jpg
    JARBanglePic.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 437
Thank you dear Kat for bumping up this wonderful thread, I've missed our regular chit chat about JAR (and other beautiful bling!) :smile:

I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to some of the comments here, I think it was a very busy period for me and was mostly spent offline :smile:

I hope you ladies were able to enjoy the JAR retrospective at the MET in late 2013. I went so many times, I lost track (at least 7-8 times!)

Just a few updates with photos.

First a rare photo of THE MASTER himself, Joel Arthur Rosenthal (gentleman in the very dark blue sweater) and his business and life partner Pierre Jeannet.
Thanks for these updates, I always wondered what he looked like.

^ You are welcome Dialv :smile:

Other results from the Christie's auction.
This gardenia ring, which previously belonged to Ellen Barkin (and auctioned in 2006) was sold for US$ 1.7 million or THREE times what it went for when it was auctioned in 2006.

Attachments

• JARGardeniaRing.jpg
    JARGardeniaRing.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 329
From the December Christie's Magnificent Jewels auction in New York

Gorgeous diamond and emerald earrings which went for about US$200,000

Attachments

• JARDiamondEmerald.jpg
    JARDiamondEmerald.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 361
Also from the December Christie's NY auction. The Camellia cuff with colored pave diamonds and an old cut diamond in the center. Previously owned by the billionaire Lily Safra. Sold for almost US$ 800,000.

Attachments

• JARCuff1.jpg
    JARCuff1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 347
  • JARCuff2.jpg
    JARCuff2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 463
I am a great admirer of Jewelry with exceptional workmanship and JAR is of course in that category but I must be honest that I find many of his pieces ungainly in their overall composition. Further, it is clear to me that they are pieces created by a man, who notoriously wears no jewelry, for women. Somewhat like male clothing designers designing for a woman ........many of the high fashion male designers create clothes completely ill suited for the real world or for real female bodies. Works of art maybe, but often somewhat useless as clothing. I view JAR in the same way. That necklace looks awkward and uncomfortable on GOOP-many of the pieces are just too much sculpture and not enough a wearable jewel. Just my two cents.

This time from the Sotheby's Important Jewels auction last month. These 3-dimensional spiral ear clips sold for US$ 225,000

Attachments

• jarsothebys1.jpg
    jarsothebys1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 317
I am a great admirer of Jewelry with exceptional workmanship and JAR is of course in that category but I must be honest that I find many of his pieces ungainly in their overall composition. Further, it is clear to me that they are pieces created by a man, who notoriously wears no jewelry, for women. Somewhat like male clothing designers designing for a woman ........many of the high fashion male designers create clothes completely ill suited for the real world or for real female bodies. Works of art maybe, but often somewhat useless as clothing. I view JAR in the same way. That necklace looks awkward and uncomfortable on GOOP-many of the pieces are just too much sculpture and not enough a wearable jewel. Just my two cents.

I understand what you mean. Clearly most of his jewelries are not intended for daily wear, they are more art objects than jewelries, and the visual effect of a JAR piece is simply unparalleled to anything else.

This needs to be shared... its a little late, but still...

Lots 62-73

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.14.05 AM.png

more eye candy here: https://theadventurine.com/jewelry/jewelry-news/see-all-12-of-ann-gettys-jewels-by-jar/

Reactions: glamourbag