ignoring resale value/potential: what bags have you bought solely based on love?

I love all my bags. But there are some, like the Chanel classic that I think about resell value. It's been 3 years and learned my lesson that buying full price and thinking I will resale for what I paid is laughable. Therefore, I buy only what I love. I know that if I decided to sell or downsize, it will be a financial loss.

Reactions: atlantique
I think the question can’t be truly asked here. We aren’t retailers, not buying with the plan of a profit. We are simply buying what we love, whether that love lasts a week or a year. The only time I‘ve seen dollar signs in my eyes is when I’ve found something thrifting that I knew I could flip for a profit.

I think the question can’t be truly asked here. We aren’t retailers, not buying with the plan of a profit. We are simply buying what we love, whether that love lasts a week or a year. The only time I‘ve seen dollar signs in my eyes is when I’ve found something thrifting that I knew I could flip for a profit.

A lot of folks here make purchase decisions based on possible resale values!

All of them. If I bought a bag solely based on resell value, I’d end up with a bunch of bags that I don’t like.

Same with black bags. I ended up with a bunch of black handbags that I eventually gave away due to non-use. I bought the black instead of the pink/green/blue/burgandy/teal/yellow that I really wanted.

A lot of folks here make purchase decisions based on possible resale values!
Agree, and that's why I created the thread as I was curious about the responses, perhaps the phrasing of the thread title wasn't clear. Resale value would not be my main reason for buying a bag, but a nice bonus. However, if there's 10 bags on my wishlist, the ones with zero resale value might make me move it down my list and I would prioritize my spending on another item, unless I was absolutely obsessed with the bag no matter what.

Agree, and that's why I created the thread as I was curious about the responses. Resale value would not be my main reason for buying a bag, but a nice bonus. However, if there's 10 bags on my wishlist, the ones with zero resale value would make me reconsider and move them down the list of what I would prioritize to spend my money on.
I certainly have not been around the longest but I think a lot of us have been around long enough to see what a gamble spending based upon an expectation of resale is. It’s really hard to know what a bag will be worth when you are ready to part with it and a lot of people have been unpleasantly surprised. So, I wouldn’t risk it .

I say buy what you can afford / love and, if you end up being able to sell it down the road all the better! You never know, those bags further down the list might be a surprising popular resale in the long run.

Last edited:
As an old Céline fan and a Fendi fan I certainly didn't factor resale into my purchases. One or two coveted Chanel slgs made a profit but I sold them due to non use.

I am of the opinion that any bag I buy is then spent funds never to be recovered. If I do sell something for a small return I consider it a bonus.

Reactions: jellyv
All of mine as well :heart:

I have never sold any of my bags (though I have gifted a few bags to loved ones) as my general premise is to keep them ‘for life.’

My purchases lately have low resale value (ie Chloe, Acne Studios, Mulberry, Proenza Schouler, Ferragamo, and some non-brand flea market bags) but I personally could care less :love::flowers:

Reactions: mewmewdea
Basically all and none. I sell a lot of bags and SLG (I get bored easily) but I also have items that have very low resale value and it doesn't make sense to sell them. But I still bought them, knowing this. It doesn't really mean I love them any more than things that have good resale value.
I have the things I have because I love them from clothes to shoes to jewelry and bags to kitchen gadgets - life's too short for anything else.