I Hate Jewelry Stores Because...

I've never had a bad time w/ jewelers but I only buy my items from the actual store.

I think next time you shouldn't bring up where you got the piece at unless it is asked of you.

I've never had a bad time w/ jewelers but I only buy my items from the actual store.

I think next time you shouldn't bring up where you got the piece at unless it is asked of you.

I was asked. I NEVER bring it up unless asked. At first he was nice and actually complimented my ring and then he asked where I got it and only after that did he become an *sshole like that.

Online is just so much easier when purchasing as long as you know what you want. By now in my life, I'm quite confident in knowing what that is so I can avoid the salesmen.

I agree though, I do feel awkward when bringing in jewelry to be resized that was purchased online. I'll just say it was from family

Online is just so much easier when purchasing as long as you know what you want. By now in my life, I'm quite confident in knowing what that is so I can avoid the salesmen.

I agree though, I do feel awkward when bringing in jewelry to be resized that was purchased online. I'll just say it was from family

My sentiments, exactly! I have grown to REALLY enjoy the convenience of online shopping for the fact I can shop around and get the best price/most reputable seller right at home. I don't like sales pressure.

I actually bring Yurman pieces that I have bought on ebay to my local Yurman retailer or Nordstroms, I just say it was a gift if they they ask but normally don't mention where I got it at all. However, some sales people in some stores that have a very high comission may be a bit unhelpful since they want you to purchase from them! I would prefer to shop at a place where the sales people aren't extremely high pressure and certainly not putting down your purchase from somewhere else!

I never mention where I get jewelry or watches. I either say that I couldn't remember, give a vague area like state or city, or say it was a gift.

Many of my designer pieces are purchased through my husband's company (not a jewelry company, but an authorized dealer) at a price most, if not all, retailers can't touch.

Those who do find out just want to see if we could buy items for them to sell in their store, because we pay less than what they could get the item in for.
Would you please kindly share which online site is reputable for discounted jewelries ? thanks
As far as online purchases, many stores will try and scare you about buying fakes online, but there are many reputable sites that sell authentic grey goods at a fraction of the cost, often with the site's own warrenty. I will buy certain things online through these sites.

Jewellers say all kinds of crazy things. Over on the pearl thread there was just someone the other day, posting about a jeweller who told the owner of a platinum/pearl/diamond ring NATURAL (how rare, right?) pearl that they should replace it with a “newer” and “shinier” cultured pearl! Go figure!!!

Reactions: cdtracing
Last year I wanted a custom piece made and went to a local jeweler favorited by a friend. Guy loved my idea, was really onboard, but then refused to quote me a price. He wanted to know my budget. Call me crazy, but I didn’t want to say my budget was $1500 with a willingness to go to $1800 and be charged $1700 for something he could do for $900. I really just wanted to hear his going rate. If he said $2500 then I could try elsewhere or save up, but he refused to say. I gave a low ball answer so as not to be locked into my highest price and the guy became a condescending jerk.

He couldn’t do it for the price I said, he told me it would be higher than any price I guessed (I felt like I was on Price is Right for a while there) but wouldn’t commit to what it would cost, suggested I get a better paying job or stick to costume pieces (I am totally serious and I was standing there with a rope of Tahitian pearls wrapped around my neck and $700 boots on my feet) and kept insisting half the mystery price would be for some fugly wheat chain that was “the only chain he would use on it” that looked destined to be forever snarled in my long hair. Oh and he told me there was no point saving up because gold prices rise daily and I would never reach my goal.

The next weekend I went to another jeweler and was quoted $1800 with no attitude or guessing game.