How much is the cheapest one carat from Cartier?

I respectfully disagree. In general, Cartier diamonds are considered "better" than Tiffany's - assuming we are doing an exact apples-to-apples vsII-vs-vsII comparison. (By better, I mean as viewed by most jewelers or jewelry collectors. I used to work for an auction house, so I share a general industry view.)

You will be hard pressed to find any jeweler who will rate Tiffany diamonds higher than Cartier (again assuming all things are equal.)

It is true, however, that Cartier does give a discount between 10-20% off sticker price, depending on the store and manager.

Musicscrip, best of luck finding the diamond ring of your dreams! :heart:

I believe one of the reasons why Cartier is more expensive for engagement rings is because they are French based? Tiffany is more reasonable here in the States but I know that they are even more expensive abroad.

Vintage/Estate Cartier probably goes for more at auction because it's reputable, it's French and outposts to buy authentic Cartier are few and far between (versus most cities having a Tiffany and larger markets having several).

Though really, all of the big designer names aren't really competing or in a hierarchy in my eyes. They all cater to different tastes... I don't think Tiffany (more modern), Harry Winston (glllaaaaaamazon!), Van Cleef (super whimsical), Cartier (romantic/antique), Niessing (ultra-modern)... I think if you have a piece of two displayed in the special gems room at the Smithsonian, you're pretty top of your field.

I don't quite get the French based explanation...A Cartier diamond in France would still be more expensive than an identical Tiffany one in France.

Actually, one of the key reasons for the higher price is that Cartier is viewed by both the general jewelry industry and by collectors as a more premium brand than Tiffany's. Clearly some people may not agree with that and, I say to each her own ;)

Anyway, this isn't a thread for debating the brands, but to give the OP some advice on her dream diamond. :smile:

I think the OP needs to know how Cartier is viewed in case she ever wants to sell her diamond.
Leah is correct. I was at the NYC auction houses jewelry auctions in December & January. The auctions for Cartier (& a fellow named David Webb, whose a jeweler in NYC), were crazy. I noticed many of these buyers were on the phone, so maybe they were Asian or European? Even the cartier old croc purses, the prices were nuts. They had alot of gold or diamonds on them. They'd be valued at $2K & would sell for 10K to
15K.

Thanks for all your replies again ladies. For the look of things, Cartier is worth more in general cuz the brand is more expensive even if the two diamonds have the same specs from GIA in the past. I don't think my brother is thinking of selling it but it was great to know more about the two brands. I didn't see much posts about Cartier's engagement rings so that's why I wanted to know more to help out my brother. I think in the end, they will just go with which setting is more appealing to the gf since the difference is $1000 for the cheapest carat with same specs...

Does it HAVE to be such high clarity? Can he go down to a VS1/VS2? Can't tell the difference.

I did ask for the pricing of VS2 (or VSII), H and 3 EX. I just checked Ebay and a store is selling authentic preloved Cartier 1.5 carat solitare with the same specs for $15000. Not a bad deal at all!!!

So what is price range of a 1 carat solitaire from Tiffanys?

I think it's US$9200 for the Tiffany setting with I, VSII and VG.
The lowest colour for Cartier is G though... Lowest colour is I from Tiffany.
Also, my guess is the amount of platinum used for the rings would cause the difference in price between Cartier and Tiffany.