How Hermès Bags Are Made (Vogue Video)

That’s right! I forgot about the Constance. Can anyone confirm that all Hermes bags are made by hand?
Bags are not 100% handmade nowadays, some parts are machine stitched.

For example let's take the handles of a Lindy or Birkin, only the base is hand stitched, the rest is machine stitched, but of course no one would ever tell you this because they'd lose the allure of an entirely artisanal product. But if you look closely, you notice the difference in stitching.

Sellier bags are usually almost entirely handmade, retourne bags I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the inside of the bag is
machine stitched, that's also why Sellier is more expensive than retourne.

Back to the video, I'm pretty sure that as nice and insightful as it is, it's mostly staged...

Bags are not 100% handmade nowadays, some parts are machine stitched.

For example let's take the handles of a Lindy or Birkin, only the base is hand stitched, the rest is machine stitched, but of course no one would ever tell you this because they'd lose the allure of an entirely artisanal product. But if you look closely, you notice the difference in stitching.

Sellier bags are usually almost entirely handmade, retourne bags I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the inside of the bag is
machine stitched, that's also why Sellier is more expensive than retourne.

Back to the video, I'm pretty sure that as nice and insightful as it is, it's mostly staged...
The artisans all did seem to be ridiculously good-looking, but hard to say if that detail in particular is staged vs reality. :biggrin:

That’s right! I forgot about the Constance. Can anyone confirm that all Hermes bags are made by hand?
I've heard that all H leather goods are hand crafted with the exception of belts. Belts are machine sewn for whatever reason... I have other H bags than BKCs, and they have hand crafted qualities such as unique stitches and very slight alignment differences.

I've heard that all H leather goods are hand crafted with the exception of belts. Belts are machine sewn for whatever reason... I have other H bags than BKCs, and they have hand crafted qualities such as unique stitches and very slight alignment differences.
I don’t know if it’s just haters talking but some people say that their bags are not truly handmade.

Reactions: themk888
I don’t know if it’s just haters talking but some people say that their bags are not truly handmade.
Most likely, a lot of people say things when they don't like a brands practices. Hermès is a great example of this as many people have strong opinions about the "game" and not being able to purchase items just because of the fact that you have the money. Haters can't stand that fact, but then also complain that instant purchases from consignment stores are way too overpriced. Although I think it may have something to do with comparing H to other luxury brands that create most items with machine sewing.

The attaching of zippers to leather like the ones seen in Plumes and Bolides, and the interior pockets of Birkin and Kelly (and other bags with interior pockets) are all sewn by machine. Doesn't make them less handmade, since the artisan still guides them by hand.

I feel like @r luvs h would have some insight
I don’t know why I never saw this notification, but technically the bags are all indeed “handmade”. Though, this does not necessarily mean they are all hand-stitched, as others have pointed out. I think people sometimes conflate the two terms. Hermès is quite clever with how they word things.;)

Even the bags with practically no hand stitching (e.g. Herbag) still use hand-guided machine stitching. Therefore, it is technically still a handmade bag.