How do you keep your cashmere from pilling?

I've never tried freezing my jumpers... Have been using the shaver for years now and am quite happy with it... At the begining I've ended up accidentaly damaging a few pieces (mind you, nothing that a good seamstress wasn't able to repair for me) but after I've learned how much pressure to apply and how to manouver the shaver I haven't have any problems! :smile:

I'm just venturing into cashmere territory, but my mom had had cashmere sweaters for years. She buys them from Lands End and she swears they never pill!

All of her sweaters still look great, too!

i use this rough brick type thing i bought at a dry cleaners (i think its called a sweater stone)
i ruined 2 sweater by using the evil shaver

i find that they pile whatever i do, but they usually stop after a few times i wear them.

The freezer does seem to stop the piling a bit. Also, "freezing" tights and stockings helps keep them from running and tearing. The Sweater Stone is sold at JoAnne Fabric, Michael's, etc. It is amazing, just use quick strokes with a really light touch. A kind of funky sulfur smell comes out of the stone but does not stay on the sweater. The best thing I have ever been told about the care of cashmere came from the former owner of an N. Peal store in Seattle-- do not dry clean it. Hand washing in baby shampoo is the way to go, it actually makes the fibers stronger. Blot dry with a towel. Store by folding, not hanging, if possible, so the fabric doesn't stretch. I'm so glad sweater season is here, but their maintainence is so much tougher than my lightweight summer t's!

You can use a lice comb or a fine-tooth comb and lay it flat against the sweater so the pills are above the teeth of the comb, and simply comb away. no sweater rips or holes!

I think it really depends on the cashmere. My newer cashmere sweaters sometimes pill a little bit. For more than thirty years now I have been wearing cashmere sweaters that my mom wore in the 60's. They are amazingly warm, soft, thick, and they never pill.

i have always wondered what to do about this. i usually just hand pick off the pills gently. i'm way too scared of ruining a sweater with that electric shaver.

what brands of cashmere is everyone buying that they don't pill? i have a variety of price points but i'd like to think that the $3xx i spent on my vince that it would hold up a little better.

No offense to the OP but the J.Crew associate should have told you to stop buying J. Crew cashmere if you wanted to stop dealing with pills. :roflmfao:

Even super high quality cashmere can pill but it shouldn't pill much. J.Crew cashmere are notorious for pilling. Some people have been lucky. I think in 2011 and 2009 J.Crew had some good cashmere but they are basically known for high prices and total RUBBISH cashmere as far as quality is concerned. It's hard to swallow though because what they charge for their sweaters you would assume it's good quality. It isn't.

When to freeze/fridge your cashmere? After 1-2 wears and your sweater starts to look a little limp, place it in a bag, in the fridge overnight or the night before you plan on wearing it again to plump it up a bit.

Try not to over wash but don't wait until the sweater is visibly dirty before washing. Treat cashmere like a baby. It's a pain but you'll be rewarded for many years with the same sweater.