How do I create a minimalist/ capsule wardrobe??

Never thought about how much clothes I need in relation to the amount of time I spend there, thats genius!!! I'm pretty excited to purge my closet, aside from things not fitting right I know theres things in there that I dont wear because they just arent my style anymore. I usually have a hard time letting go of clothes but I'm in a this mood to completely reorganize so no better time to do this!

Good luck!!!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your capsule(s)

Also visit us on the show us your minimalist closet thread where many marvelous posters spend a lot of time on the excruciating ecstasy of purging our closets

Show us your minimalist closet
https://forum.purseblog.com/index.php?threads/Show-us-your-minimalist-closet.867625/

Reactions: diane278
Agree on all the above. Also buy clothes that are versatile for different occasions, such as dresses that are professional looking and can be worn on a date night, black jeans that aren't ripped and can be worn at work, etc.

Bumping this thread as I am heading back to an office job after a long period of being home. I would like to build a capsule closet for work and was looking for some guidance on how many pieces I would need so that I don’t look like I am wearing the same thing all the time.

I did some online searching and the guidance I found so far was to pick 4 or 5 colours you like to wear that go together so that all tops match all bottoms and you have a large selection of outfits. But how many pieces of each is the difficult part as I don’t want to look like I wear the same thing all the time?

I’m no sure there is a particular number of items to have and it depends how strict is the dress code where u work.
In all cases : suit trousers in a flattering shape/cut for you.
Black jeans.
A blazer - button shirts - a shirt dress - pullovers v neck and high neck - a line or pencil skirt. Then you can decide if they should be classic or more trendy in style and which colors suit you.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Bumping this thread as I am heading back to an office job after a long period of being home. I would like to build a capsule closet for work and was looking for some guidance on how many pieces I would need so that I don’t look like I am wearing the same thing all the time.

I did some online searching and the guidance I found so far was to pick 4 or 5 colours you like to wear that go together so that all tops match all bottoms and you have a large selection of outfits. But how many pieces of each is the difficult part as I don’t want to look like I wear the same thing all the time?

I would go super slowly until you figure out your work style again... amassing is easy, maintaining a small number of things is hard. In terms of not wearing same thing all the time, you can play with accessories - necklace, scarf, etc. to change a look. Personally I like to wear all black in a couple silhouettes so no one can tell whether I am wearing the same thing or variation.

Start with a couple basics like mellecyn suggests... J crew and Ann Taylor have solid classic styles you can get on promotion. If you need higher styles check the RealReal- formal work clothes are out of style so can come by things more cheaply.

I actually follow a capsule wardrobe for work and it is the only way for me to manage or else I would become overwhelmed. I try not to pay attention to what people may think of my repeated outfits. Simply put, clothes were not made to be worn once and then thrown away, so the idea that you shouldn't repeat outfits at work is a bit silly in my mind. You won't look like you wear the same thing all the time unless, for example, you actually wear all black all the time, and even then it just becomes your signature look and that can be a good thing, too.

You asked for the specific number of items in each category, so I'll list mine below which I hope will help you, but I have to preface this with the fact that I never wear skirts or dresses to work (I think because I worked with mostly men and I didn't want to be overtly feminine and draw attention to myself). I also never wear jumpsuits- not even ones that would look professional- due to impracticality when using the loo. :P

So, that left me with 3 main categories: trousers, tops and suits. You may want to add dresses and skirts to your 'work' wardrobe. Within the categories I have:
- 2 suits: 1 black, 1 colour- usually blue or grey.
- 5 trousers: 3 black, one of which is from my suit, and 2 in colour (in summer this would be white, blue or purple. In winter it would be grey, navy, bottle green or burgundy).
- 16 tops: That is enough tops to wear a different one for 2 weeks, plus a few extra in case I need to switch out tops for any reason (spilled coffee or something). I like tops in a variety of colours, so I have one of every colour I enjoy wearing, along with multiples in white and black because I wear those more than anything else.
- I don't buy additional blazers. I use the jackets of my suits with different trousers. This way I fully utilize the suit as a full suit and as separates. It also means my suits wear out evenly (usually the trousers wear out faster than the jacket).

For accessories:
- 3 pairs of comfortable work shoes. 2 flat and 1 with a low block heel. They match all my other pieces and can be worn comfortably on long days.
- I switch between 3 purses for work and all of them are minimalist, with no obvious logos.
- 10 pieces of jewelry, including 2 of each: watches, earrings, necklaces, rings, bracelets. All of these pieces are minimalist and a mix of metals.
For instance, right now I have in my rotation 1 rose gold necklace and 1 silver necklace. 1 gold bracelet and 1 oxidized (black) silver bracelet. So even though I have only 2 in each category, they are all different from each other and that brings variety to my outfits in itself.
I usually wear only 1 piece of jewelry and 1 watch per day. I like to keep my look clean so I don't stack a lot of jewelry.
- 2 scraves- silk in the summer, wool in the winter.
- 1 reversible wool coat for the winter (black on one side, patterned blue on the reverse side) and 1 lightweight fold-able rain coat.

This makes a total of 40-45 pieces at any given time of the year, including shoes, bags and accessories.
I can get 6 months of mixing and matching, working 6 days a week, before my pieces start to wear out. I rarely repeat an entire outfit in 1 month because there's enough there for different combinations.

Twice a year, I look through the wardrobe and pull out anything that looks worn out or that I'm just bored of, those may get replaced by a new piece if needed.
This is also the time I'll switch out my summer/winter clothes, swapping lighter colours for darker ones, taking out my winter coat, swapping out my summer flat shoes for ankle booties, etc.
I also switch out my jewelry during this (in the summer I may wear opals and pearls, in the winter more oxidized pieces), this way I don't get too bored repeating my jewelry and I get to use my entire collection.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you and hope it isn't confusing in the way I have laid it out. Hopefully this gives you some ideas at the very least. :flowers:

Last edited:
So I’m considering doing project 333 here’s my list as of now:

Project 333

1. Black hat
  2. Straw hat
  3. Folding hat
  4. Red snake clutch
  5. Grey star cardi
  6. Yellow denim jacket
  7. Rain coat
  8. Black animal dress
  9. Black puff dress
  10. White stripe dress
  11. Black stripe nursing
  12. Black maxi
  13. Coral linen skirt
  14. Black linen skirt
  15. Black denim skirt
  16. Black stripe maxi skirt
  17. Green daisy skirt
  18. Purple spot skirt
  19. Black jeans
  20. Blue linen pants
  21. Black pocket pants
  22. Blue spot/stripe top
  23. Grey pocket top
  24. Black vest
  25. Black mcare t shirt
  26. Stripe long line
  27. Grey melange
  28. Black long sleeve
  29. Red button through
  30. Valentino red top
  31. Pussy bow vest
  32. Black crocs
  33. SupergA

Not counted - jewellery because CBA - it barely takes up any room, canvas totes mainly used for shopping and my Work out outfits and my sleepwear.

I have already started this so I might provisionally call it late may/June/July. The thing that will probably necessitate a change in my items is I’ve counted 2 light jackets but fingers crossed I won’t actually need them and I can swop them out.

This is a substantial sample of my total amount of clothes although it is missing two of my biggest categories which are coats and knitwear so I guess it’s easier to be minimal in the summer :lol: