Hermes jewelry perception

I did some searching and noticed Hermes resell is 50-60% of its retail price. It does not seem to hold its value much like most have mentioned. This tells me that buyers don’t value Hermes jewelry as much. However, VCA even when used, sells close to retail price. Why wouldn’t people just buy new VCA since resale prices are so close to retail prices?
Some people just want savings, however slight. Also, some vintage pieces come in stones or configurations that are no longer available new.
Don’t forget that what you see as the resale price is not what the seller realized, unless the seller sold directly to the customer. The middle man in resale always takes a hefty chunk. So if for example you see a Hermès piece selling for 50% of new, the seller only received 25-30% from the middle man.
Hope this helps a bit.

I did some searching and noticed Hermes resell is 50-60% of its retail price. It does not seem to hold its value much like most have mentioned. This tells me that buyers don’t value Hermes jewelry as much. However, VCA even when used, sells close to retail price. Why wouldn’t people just buy new VCA since resale prices are so close to retail prices?
Many years later of a response but I think it’s an important point - Hermes jewelry resale is extremely low because a lot of people buy it just for bag offers. So the resellers end up flooded with their jewelry, causing value depreciation. A rep at TRR told me she stopped accepting Finesse pendants because they receive way too many.

• Wow
Reactions: chaerimk
I think designer jewelry should pretty much be bought without any resale in mind. If it's meant to be an investment, then 22k or 24k gold jewelry is your best bet. There are pure gold designers where you can buy beautiful pieces from. The resale value is based on the market price of gold at the time. If you hold it long enough, it can appreciate in value. That being said, all jewelers will charge a "making" fee which varies based on the intricacy of the design.

Reactions: rkys12