Hermès authentication

I am so torn between Bababebi and Authenticate4u. I sent pictures in Authenticate4u to authenticate a Birkin 35, X stamp and they deemed it fake, so I sent the exact same photos to Bababebi and they claimed it was authentic!! I asked authenticate4u again and they replied in a rude response "fine go with them"... Who do I trust?

You trust Bababebi. For most all H collectors, she is the most trusted authenticator.

I would never ask anyone else to authenticate H.

Bababebi is the diamond standard when it comes to Hermes. I would only trust her with Hermes authentication. I would;t trust anyone else - she is undoubtedly the H authentication expert!

I checked with Bababebi about authenticating a men's belt from TRR, but she does not perform belt authentications. I've been inactive for a few years but am coming back from my dormant state. I think I became complacent and trusted TRR too much, so I'm now going back and doing an audit. The belt is still within the return period. I see CarolDiva does "the occasional belt" and I've had great experiences w/ her for LV. Any others? Lollipuff seems to offer Hermes auth (but not limited by category), too.

I checked with Bababebi about authenticating a men's belt from TRR, but she does not perform belt authentications. I've been inactive for a few years but am coming back from my dormant state. I think I became complacent and trusted TRR too much, so I'm now going back and doing an audit. The belt is still within the return period. I see CarolDiva does "the occasional belt" and I've had great experiences w/ her for LV. Any others? Lollipuff seems to offer Hermes auth (but not limited by category), too.

Bababebi is the Hermes authenticator, , and if she doesn't authenticate a belt no one else is going to do a creditable job either (CarolDiva is LV trustworthy, beyond that I wouldn't).

Belts aren't rare or super expensive new from the store, and easily faked--so I'd advise buying new from the store.

Reactions: smallfry
Bababebi is the Hermes authenticator, , and if she doesn't authenticate a belt no one else is going to do a creditable job either (CarolDiva is LV trustworthy, beyond that I wouldn't).

Belts aren't rare or super expensive new from the store, and easily faked--so I'd advise buying new from the store.

Thanks for your reply. I just checked the order and that puts me in something of a bind because the belt is apparently NOT returnable. I couldn't force a return w/o some kind of credible assessment that the belt is actually fake. I doubt I will ever re-sell it (which sidesteps any ethical or due diligence issues), but if I do I'll have to just take solace in the fact TRR "alleges" to have authenticated it. Still, it would be nice to have someone more seasoned than me at least opine on authenticity, even if reliablity isn't guaranteed.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but what is the point of getting the opinion of an "authenticator" if that opinion isn't reliable. To the majority of H collectors here, Bababebi is the only authenticator that we trust. If you are not concerned about the reliability of an authenticator's opinion, there are plenty who will take your money.

Unfortunately, one must be very careful with RealReal - one can get some good buys, but they are known to list fakes. In fact, even if they have had an item returned because it is a fake, they will re-list it. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: smallfry
I may be misunderstanding your post, but what is the point of getting the opinion of an "authenticator" if that opinion isn't reliable. To the majority of H collectors here, Bababebi is the only authenticator that we trust. If you are not concerned about the reliability of an authenticator's opinion, there are plenty who will take your money.

Unfortunately, one must be very careful with RealReal - one can get some good buys, but they are known to list fakes. In fact, even if they have had an item returned because it is a fake, they will re-list it. Caveat emptor.

If Bababebi will not authenticate belts, and given the belt is not returnable, then I have no options but to use a generally reliable authenticator (such as Authenticate4U) to make a good faith attempt at due diligence/reassurance to myself or to simply rely on TRR's guarantee. I agree the authentication is probably not a good use of money if it's not considered reliable by TPF, so I may skip it in the end.

If Bababebi will not authenticate belts, and given the belt is not returnable, then I have no options but to use a generally reliable authenticator (such as Authenticate4U) to make a good faith attempt at due diligence/reassurance to myself or to simply rely on TRR's guarantee. I agree the authentication is probably not a good use of money if it's not considered reliable by TPF, so I may skip it in the end.

Even in this short threads are 2 examples of A4U calling 2 different H bags fake when Bababebi found the bags to be authentic. These are but 2 examples.

Can you tell anything from carefully looking at the belt - is it as heavy as you would expect, does the workmanship look high quality. That is probably as useful as hiring an unreliable authenticator.

But I don't want to badger you - it is your $ and your sense of comfort. I just worry that your concern about TRR and authenticity (or lack thereof) is going to drive you nuts! I have purchased from TRR quite a bit, but I tend to stick to H items that I can authenticate myself or that I can get Bababebi's opinion on. The other stuff I buy from the boutique. Good luck!

I really appreciate your input! I've just never run in to this issue before where something is basically incapable of being authenticated by a TPF-approved source. You are 100% correct; it IS driving me crazy. I'm doing some crazy audit of everything I've bought from them, plus a few from Rebag. I've been doing buying (and to a limited degree selling) for 10+ years so I think I do have a "natural" eye and wouldn't be fooled by an obvious fake. I think if the other stuff I'm having authed from TRR comes back good, I'll feel better - I hope. But I'm feeling disappointed about the belt because my bf got me $500 to TRR and I bought the belt for only like $100 less than retail without realizing I'd ever be in a position where I couldn't reliably authenticate it to the extent any doubt arose. :sad: And then I remember other items, like my H Clic Clac I got from TRR that I'm afraid to even ASK about now...

I really appreciate your input! I've just never run in to this issue before where something is basically incapable of being authenticated by a TPF-approved source. You are 100% correct; it IS driving me crazy. I'm doing some crazy audit of everything I've bought from them, plus a few from Rebag. I've been doing buying (and to a limited degree selling) for 10+ years so I think I do have a "natural" eye and wouldn't be fooled by an obvious fake. I think if the other stuff I'm having authed from TRR comes back good, I'll feel better - I hope. But I'm feeling disappointed about the belt because my bf got me $500 to TRR and I bought the belt for only like $100 less than retail without realizing I'd ever be in a position where I couldn't reliably authenticate it to the extent any doubt arose. :sad: And then I remember other items, like my H Clic Clac I got from TRR that I'm afraid to even ASK about now...

If It is any comfort, neither clic-clacs or belts were authenticated here, even when we had an accessories authenticator. I love H bracelets but only buy them from the boutique or from a reseller that I know to be trustworthy and knowledge. Sadly, this does not describe TRR.

Maybe keep all this in mind going forward and not worry so much about past purchases unless you really feel that they are wonky?