Help! How many is enough?!

I'm so glad that you started this thread. After my last bag, I think I'm done for now... I actually reached that point where I can look at my meager collection and sigh w/ contentment.:girlsigh:

i love Hermes- but i do think there can be too much. i dont want to offend anyone so i am not going to comment on quantities or details but i think there are defintely people with no perspective and nearly as little appreciation. i am as far from a bleeding heart as you can get but sometimes when i hear people complain about not having such and such bag or their husband giving them a hard time because they want their 12th bag .............it makes me a little sick.

^ I know what you mean. That's exactly why I'm taking a "breather". At this point, I truly feel that if I were to expand, I wouldn't fully appreciate what I already have.

Thank you all! Great to hear similar reactions about H addiction and feelings towards this quite expensive "hobby"! I really do appreciate what I've got, but I slowly start to think myself as a collector or something to make me feel better about new purchases that I've made recently... It's the prices that bring the guilt..

I have to say that I've used my Birkins and Kellys much more than any other bags, so cost per wear is of course something to think about. On the other hand, I keep my croc like a jewel in its box and only take it out to look at it every now and then.. So I'm not even using it! Crazy or not?? Makes me wonder why I had to have it (and what the h*** made me order another one too?!)...

Well, addictions can be dangerous. I'm happy I fell in "love" with these bags and not for example drugs or alcohol..!

That's why it's called addiction: you need more every time to satisfy your cravings, naturally:P.
We all LOVE the special feeling of getting that next "ultimate" Hermes bag but then again we need that "just one more last score"...and there you go.
Addiction - it aint no joke:supacool:...and there's never enough of a "good stuff". I don't think I will ever be content with my Hermes collection. But not just beacuse of my addiction to the brand but simply because there will always be something whatever Hermes that I will just love on the spot.
Dear Santa please, make my money tree grow bigger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The hell with a school, man. We just lost 40 bucks worth of pharmaceuticals!" "Besketball Diaries"

for me it is also "one more.."
the "problem with collecting in general is. there is no exit-bag/jewel/painting/watch etc as simply there is no "the ultimate or the best " you can be happy and content with what you have love each and every item thinking "that´s it i have everything" and then out of the blue H(or whatever you desire ) comes out with a new style or a new color or a new fantastic leather. so since we are collectors not just women who need a bag to put our stuff in we will give in and buy and the story goes on and on and on happily ever after . realistically a women needs what 2 bags or three(not even to speak of the same model different leathers colors) or how many cars or watches needs a guy ? there lies the diferrence between collectors - aficionados and people who are focused on / interested in other things and are happy with one bag/car etc and that is not a problem at all as every and each person has her vice be it travelling or art or whatever and as long there is no harm done or one acts financially irresponsible i see nothing wrong with it
so now excuse me got to go pick up a new bag :lol::flowers:

I agree with Hermesaholic......I thought the answer to this obsession was "one more bag" too; then you don't even end up using your collection......then, 12 Kellys and 5 Birkins later (not to mention all the other Hermes clothes you have to buy to get offered these "bags"), I sold almost everything off on Ebay.....everything except one Birkin bag. And now I use that one bag all the time, but I do regret not keeping maybe one more. But you just need a few quality bags (yeah right, don't listen to me), and if they're Hermes, I think you're doing okay........

You are the only ones I can confront with my problem (I even have to hide my bags from my husband)..:shame: Tell me, money put aside, how many H bags is enough? When comes the moment that you're just happy with the one(s) you've got and want no more?!

I thought I would have been "happy ever after" when I got my first croc Birkin, but obviously not. I still look at the websites, stroll in H stores.. and bought another bag again. Against all my beliefs! help!

:tup:You've got the ne plus ultra of Hermes bags! there is no better one! you can't GO any higher........maybe a couple of neutral colors? Then, like heroin, OFF..............:sweatdrop:

As I am in the process of purchasing my first Birkin soon, I have actually had time to think about this question due to my other obsessions. I have a full closet of Louboutin shoes and Jimmy Choo Shoes. Don't even get me started with my closet full of clothes from the designer floors of Barneys. I sometimes wish if I hadn't bought 5 pairs of black louboutins, I would be pretty close to buying a Birkin buy now. Gearing up for a birkin made me stop buying petty things so that I could save for this wonderful bag. I have come to realize that buying a few "classic investment" pieces will last me for a lifetime. Having one Birkin such as yours sounds wonderful and having two or three is fine two. I think there may be a poin of having too many... but I would not be willing to put a number on that since we are discussing this at the Purse Forum. I would keep it special and have a variety of other pieces you may want- or use the money to do something satisfying for your soul-take a fabulous trip first class all the way to Bora Bora!

I think, maybe never enough, but for different reasons.

We are women (mostly, and a few chic men!) and so we will grow, and evolve. As we get older, we may find ourselves gravitating towards a new colour, a new leather, a new style one that has taken on meaning for us.

My mother has adored purple her whole life, so I have had an aversion to it, content to allow her to hoard all nature of that colour! But as I've matured, soft violet and lavendar truly speak to me. I find myself holding leathers in that colour, and thinking "hey, not so bad". I have also loved slouchy, soft bags as long as I can remember but I will lose myself staring at a structured for Kelly for ages. And materials like suede have always entranced me, with a gentle hand. But currently, I am finding myself obsessed with epsom and chevre. The stiffest leathers around!

So while I would like to say, I am done, stick a fork in me (but keep it away from my H bags!) I know better. I am not the same woman I was 5 years ago. Oh it's still me, but my tastes has evolved, gone sideways, and occasionally regressed. So my bags from 5 years ago, and my bags from 5 years forward may be from different worlds, almost different eras of my life.

And thats okay! I am not aggressively acquiring, but I keep both eyes open. Wouldn't wanna miss anything. Life moves too quick, and I need my bag to keep up ;)