Have you ever regretted a purchase/gift?

Yes, my e-ring. The stone is wonderful. But with me (stupid me) trying to cut corners and stuff...that lead to 3 bad settings.

Ring 1 - Halo 1. Too thin and super crooked. This is a situation of "you get what you pay for."
Ring 2 - Halo 2. Had it made at a friend's high end jewelry store which was owned by her mother in-law. The ring came and it was just a hair crooked but after 6 months of wear, small diamonds started falling out (3-4 times to be exact). Had each lost stone replaced every time... On the last time, my friend said she will make a wholly new setting for me because she realized the area where the diamonds kept falling out didn't have enough gold on there in the first place. I honestly think they had a junior jewelry person make my ring...I've seen the craftsmanship at her mother in-law's store and it's VASTLY different from what I have! This is a situation of "it's iffy with friends."
3 - Tapered Baguettes with side stones - This is the replacement ring. It was not crooked, but not super well made either. Baguettes were too big for the 1ct stone, but they were beautiful. The "bar" that was holding/cradling the baguettes were shorter than the baguettes itself so you can actually graze your fingers on the CORNERS of the baguettes. And after 2 years of wear....the 1 baguette came loose today. Another "iffy with friends" situation.

I am going to lose my mind. No more going cheap. And no more having friends set my e-rings! Whatever setting I get next, I'm going to make sure there's a warranty and from an established retailer/brand from now on! End rant!

No I did this too... I jumped into the Tiffany yellow diamond DBTY pendant a little too quickly! Don't get me wrong I love it, every time I look at it it is so stunning and really does sparkle like a diamond but with this sunshiney colour, it's amazing! But it was SO expensive for this "little" diamond (it's .91 carats but it's not like this big soleste pendant which is where I started which does have more pa-pow!) and I've always felt uncomfortable... I actually didn't wear it for a year! I was partially afraid something so expensive but so delicate would break... and partially thinking I might return it if they would let me. Trying to get over it b/c I love it and just have it be my everyday necklace! Feel really stupid though!

Also currently selling my Cartier Orchid pave pendant. DEFINITELY an impulse buy and although I LOVE it, I don't wear it enough to justify!! breaks my heart when I look at it b/c it's SO PRETTY!!! But I don't need it! I decided to keep the yellow diamond and sell the orchid. Sad but feel like it's the right thing to do!

Good thread!
Other than the price, are there any other reason you wouldn't recommend the yellow diamond by the yard pendant? I am considering getting one soon. Just want to make sure that I make the right decision. Any input? Thanks

Yes. When I upgraded my old engagement ring I wanted a bigger stone. Really wanted a Tiffany solitaire but couldn't justify the price. I bought a one carat OEC diamond from the USA (I am in Australia). Saw lots of pictures, videos etc. It was great value so I bought it. Never ever loved it. Sold it 12 months later for a huge loss and ended up with my Tiffany. Lesson learnt big time. My new saying "the cheapskate always pays twice:..lol..