Has anyone permanently switched from big bags to small?

I'm with you! I love my cavernous Speedy's to put everything from iPad to winter hat and scarf, and sweatshirt for my daughter.
I just got a two-seater Miata and realize I need a smaller bag to tuck in the door panel for when I have a passenger but am having trouble finding one that can fit my Louis Vuitton hard sunglasses case. Right now I'm using Eva, which I love because I can keep it unzipped in the Speedy, use it, and just remove it and use it by itself when I go in the Miata, but it can't fit my sunglasses. :sad:

I actually have a thread going about it here, there's some good suggestions of cute small bags.
I never thought I'd be a small bag person, but I do see the appeal of a really cute cross body!!

I used to use a Givenchy medium Antigona for work, and it was huge. I've since downsized to a smaller laptop messenger bag for work, but even that is too big on days I only need phones, tissues, agenda, and small makeup bag.
When I'm out and about running errands, I like to carry as little as possible. As my mom always says, the more stuff you bring around with you, the greater the potential for losing something. I tried to "be like a guy" and carry the bare minimum now, so even my Speedy 30 is too big for only my phone, card case, keys. Not gonna lie, I really like being able to go out without a purse :O these days. Phone and card case in my left pocket, multicles and tissues in my right pocket. I'm going to miss having pockets when the weather gets warmer.

I've accepted that I like different bag sizes for different occasions. For work I need a big tote (for instance - Neverfull MM) that will fit my laptop and A4 files - even when I don't actually put either inside, I feel much more comfortable knowing I have extra room. For shopping/sightseeing/travel I love my Speedy B 25 - that's the perfect size, as it's not too big to be cumbersome and yet not too small so that when I buy something I still have room inside. For going out, Speedy feels too big, and the best size for me is my Gucci Soho Disco, which still fits a lot, but is more compact. When I tried downsizing - like a Speedy 25 for work and Gucci Soho Disco for shopping, I just didn't feel as comfortable, I felt like I didn't have enough room inside my bags. When I add something, for instance Pochette Metis (which would fit a similar amount of stuff as my Gucci Soho Disco) it would be a good alternative to my going out bag. But why fix something that isn't broken? I like having a variety of sizes and styles in my collection, each serving a specific purpose.

I've accepted that I like different bag sizes for different occasions. For work I need a big tote (for instance - Neverfull MM) that will fit my laptop and A4 files - even when I don't actually put either inside, I feel much more comfortable knowing I have extra room. For shopping/sightseeing/travel I love my Speedy B 25 - that's the perfect size, as it's not too big to be cumbersome and yet not too small so that when I buy something I still have room inside. For going out, Speedy feels too big, and the best size for me is my Gucci Soho Disco, which still fits a lot, but is more compact. When I tried downsizing - like a Speedy 25 for work and Gucci Soho Disco for shopping, I just didn't feel as comfortable, I felt like I didn't have enough room inside my bags. When I add something, for instance Pochette Metis (which would fit a similar amount of stuff as my Gucci Soho Disco) it would be a good alternative to my going out bag. But why fix something that isn't broken? I like having a variety of sizes and styles in my collection, each serving a specific purpose.
This is me exactly. I like having different size bag options for different occasions, even if my occasions don't end up being all that varied! Tote bag for work, hobo on weekend, smaller/handheld for evening or special events. I think the variety gives me peace of mind:smile:

I feel like I am more interested in smaller bags. I like being hands free and am finding that I do not need to carry as much as I think I need to carry. When I first started buying LV - I gravitated to the larger bags. Fast forward a decade, within the last two years I've started buying smaller/crossbody bags. I carry my Neverfull GM during the week and it is feeling too big although I wouldn't want it in a smaller size. I reach for my Felicie and Favorite mostly on the weekends. I'm planning to buy a Speedy B 25 next. I think that will give me the best of both worlds.

I just can't. My kids are 11 and 14 now and I still need a bigger bag. Wallet, toiletry bag with sanitizer, tissue, bandaids, a pen, feminine products, Advil. Then I need a separate mini long bag for more pens, lip balm, make up, nail clipper. Then small flat pouch for documents, extra room for a sweater cause I always layer, a scarf, key pouch, phone, sunglasses. I always have some food, bars or fruit. Minimizing is an art form I have not mastered. I am jealous of those who have.

Minimizing is an art form I have not mastered. I am jealous of those who have.
Try using only a small purse for a week or so instead of your normal, larger bag. You'll quickly find out which items are essential and which are "nice to haves" and which you don't need at all. For instance, I'm surprised you tote a scarf and sweater around all the time; why do you carry them around instead of actually wearing them?

I tried using smaller bags for a while but it just wasn't working for me. I usually carry quite a bit on a daily basis, most of which is more bulky than heavy, but I also have to keep in mind my body type which is tall/very tall and curvy. Small bags (i.e. Speedy 25, Twice, Alma PM, etc.) only make me look larger whereas large bags (i.e. NF GM, Delightful MM, etc.) that would otherwise overwhelm most women will instead balance me out.

I used to be a very much more of a large bag lady. But it became impractical for my work commute on public transit. I have since downsized to a givenchy bow cut bag and I place it in a longchamp tote with my laptop. On the weekends, I don't bother to switch back to one of my formerly preferred larger bags. In my bow cut I have the evasion pouchette from 2016, a goyard mini senat and a small bulgari wallet. Fits everything I need, though not always everything I want.

Reactions: prepster
it is not easy to find an everyday bag that is not tiny, but not a tote either. I wonder if this gap will be filled soon.
I agree so much! And when I find something I really like size wise (like the Reverse or IR Pochette Metis) then too many people have had issues that I am afraid to buy it because I am known to have bad luck. LOL

I love feeling prepared for anything, but I don't love being weighed down.....I'm finding that the freedom is nice. On the other hand...you never know when you're going to have to quickly build a satellite out of chewing gum and string, or rescue a team of trapped nuclear physicists, so I do have a tote in the car with a MacGyver-esque assortment of things "just in case." :lol: So maybe it's just that now my car has become my purse.
So true!!! LOL My problem is I never know when I'll need lotion, hairspray, band-aids, protein bars, etc (or need to build or rescue something or someone LOL) so totally know what you mean.

When I'm out and about running errands, I like to carry as little as possible.....I tried to "be like a guy" and carry the bare minimum now, so even my Speedy 30 is too big for only my phone, card case, keys.
I have been just carrying my Mini Pochette for cards, earbuds, pen, chapstick and a feminine product and carry Samsung Note in my hand or pocket. I like the Favourite MM just can't deal with the top concaving in but I need a small bag to carry Mini Pochette, card holder from Chanel (upcoming purchase bc want to use the Mini for other things and switch cards to the Chanel), Key Pouch for keys and coins, battery bank, and a few small personal items (lip gloss, etc).

My bags are "shrinking", and I'm becoming a stickler for function, but there are 2 problems that I'm encountering:

1) Sometimes it's a pain to wiggle my hand into the bag when I'm trying to get something out, and I'm not a patient person.
2) There is no PERFECT form and function bag, and I need to deal with my issues*....lol
#1, that is why I keep looking at the Cluny BB and I am 98% certain that is my next bag purchase.
#2, So very true. I can't find what I want in the current collection and it is driving me nuts. The Cluny is as close as it comes but why can't there be a DE version with the old red Alcantara inside?! Or a grape purple Epi would be fine...also maybe in a burgandy Epi too.

Try using only a small purse for a week or so instead of your normal, larger bag. You'll quickly find out which items are essential and which are "nice to haves" and which you don't need at all. For instance, I'm surprised you tote a scarf and sweater around all the time; why do you carry them around instead of actually wearing them?

Because I get cold very quickly, but then if i take a brisk walk i get hot. My body temp changes quickly if I do not eat every 2-3 hours. I will wear a cashmere beanie in the office if I am cold. In addition I also wear a jacket or coat regularly. Immediately after eating I will warm up very significantly. I will also shove my lunch into my bag as well. Otherwise I will need to carry three bags to work everyday, my purse, my lunch bag and my gym bag. If my purse is big enough I can shove an apple, banana, and box of leftovers in there. Then I can schlep only two bags, in addition to the free hand I need for my travel coffee mug.

this might be a good thread to post this in. it's from a very vintage book about handbags and what women tend to carry inside. it's my own picture, but i cannot recall the name of the book.
View attachment 3592916

That's why it's always so fascinating to see what other women carry in their purse, and how they organize it. Some anthropologist could study that for years!