Hard, painful pimples...

My skin is going in the opposite direction. The older I get, the worse my skin is getting. I use the Queen Helen Mint Julep mask from the drug store and it does help quite a bit. Other than that, I use the Clearasil regiment (the one that is like ProActive). But, I'm going to give something else a try when I run out of the Clearasil. I'm just not having much luck with anything.

Those are the worst... ugh... cause they hurt like heck! You've got lots of good responses, but I'll add my two cents. First of all - LEAVE IT ALONE! It's going to spread the bacteria, it's going to hurt worse and it's going to make it bigger and more red. Benzoyl peroxide is the product that I use to really shrink pimples... most drugstores sell a cheap little tube of, I think, a 10% topical cream. It really helps! Sulfur products help shrink as well... Proactive's Refining Mask works wonders as a spot treatment.

There is some great advice here. When I feel a pimple coming under the skin I use the Zeno as well. The Zeni is tricky IMO it doesn't work on all zits but I find it to be great if you hit the zit with it early. I've tried a ton a stuff to keep my oily skin in check, one of the best things Ive found to shrink a pimple is the Deep Cleaning Mask by Kiss my Face, it is cheap and amazing! Also Kiehls drawing paste is good too. HTH!

I put a dollop of cortisone cream on top of it and most times it brings it to a head. My derm told me to use a washcloth with hot water and hold it on the pimple for about 15 minutes. It's supposed to speed up the healing process.

Have you tried mario badescu drying lotion or buffering lotion? The buffering lotion is really good for those deep down bumps/pimples. The products are really cheap and works really well!

I can vouch for this! Only I know the problems I've had with my skin since puberty - the older I get the oilier it seems to be getting. I get small but yet hard and painful cystic bumps on my forehead like clockwork each month before PMS, and sometimes between my period on the area of my cheeks near the ears. Nothing has cured this, they surface all the time no matter what. The buffering lotion by MB, when applied copiously has aided in shrinking them though. Makes them smaller. I'd love to know what causes these, is it just hormones? Or could it be anything else?

The zeno is a great tool but only works if the pimple is caught early enough.
I get these on my chin during that time of the month. I just started using Effaclar K (by LaRoche-Posay) at night with Effaclar AI (LaRoche-Posey) for spot treatments night and day. In one night it made a huge difference. If you go to www.larocheposey.com you can find places near you that sell it. Generally a derms office but their line is amazing. It use to be called biomedic.
For a cleanser I just use Dermalogica Special Cleansing gel, it's light but effective. I do have acne prone, dry, sensitive skin.