Graduation Class Ring

I have some hoodies from Open House and some events. Yeah, I do not wear jewellery so I don't think I will wear it. This university (and my time in it) is very close to my heart. I got a college degree in a university that my parents chose. This time, the decision was all mine.

As an alternative mark of achievement, you could but yourself a grad present that you would use and have it personalised, a special book, embossed leather notebook holder, embroidered Steiff bear, engraved silver object for travel or home. $200 dollars can be put towards a party for your best buddies. You don't have to get their choice if you'd rather have your own.

I have some hoodies from Open House and some events. Yeah, I do not wear jewellery so I don't think I will wear it. This university (and my time in it) is very close to my heart. I got a college degree in a university that my parents chose. This time, the decision was all mine.
Well, if you like it, think it's the kind of memento you'd want to keep and you're not bothered by the price, then what's the harm? It's small, portable, and if it will bring back good memories, go for it :smile:

Reactions: Antigone
Just found out that the ring comes with your choice of birthstone, but since the uni colour is blue, I'm thinking of the blue stone - Fireblue Spinel.

Also found out that the there are more expensive gold versions - 10k, 14k, and 18k.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
My brother-in-law still wears his MIT ring on occasion and I know a few other men who wear their rings (not every day, though) but no women. But you said you're not planning to wear it, more to keep it as a memento and $200 isn't a huge investment, so it's up to you. I still have my high school ring (decades after graduation), but stopped wearing it less than a month into my freshman year at university. What other commemorative items have you looked at? For example, I still have two etched glass mugs commemorating a university homecoming week-end and a sorority ball (I'm completely shocked they've survived multiple decades and more than a dozen moves!). They cost next to nothing, I keep pens in them, and they still bring back fond memories.
Yeah I could imagine a man wearing one. These rings do look manly. Kind of like Super Bowl rings without the crazy bling.

I would recommend buying an embossed diploma frame with your school logo. They are expensive but well worth it. My diploma hangs in my office and I do not regret the extra cost. I would recommend rings for people who had an unwavering positive experience and their community is built around the university (to the point where all their friends probably also got rings, will see them every weekend, still enjoy going to sporting events involving the school, etc). My school pride does not reach this far but I am happy to show off my fancy diploma.

I vote no for sure. I find them a bit dated and also as if telling the world I graduated. No one cares and certainly not recruiters. Also, as you are a college grad, my guess is your social circle will also be the same, so wearing that ring to make a point is of no value. And to those who are not college grads, there is no point.

Your self confidence will reflect your degree, not some ring. If you want jewelry, I vote buy something nice you will wear to celebrate the occasion (or a nice handbag to use for work).

Congrats to you on such a great achievement!

I vote no. Buy yourself a special momento that you will still want to wear many years down the road. I think a grad ring is dated. I bought myself a pair of 18 K gold Tiffany earrings once I was called to the bar. Pick something timeless for yourself :smile:. Congrats btw!!