First YSL: Medium Envelope or Medium Sunset

Do you have other dressier bags in your wardrobe in beige or black of similar size and function? I would keep the one I think better fits a gap in my collection. If no difference there then I think keep the black. Personal preference I prefer croc embossed in black, white, gray and pink, for some reason I don't want it in beige
I don’t have any bags in beige at the moment which is why I got the beige. I love YSL’s beige color! I am looking for a bag that I can use to more formal/ dressier event. One of my friends suggested the YSL clutch or WOC for fancier events. I am not a big fan of black bags because I notice I tend to carry them more during the winter months altho I do have a few in my collection. I am wondering if I should look at the YSL clutch, WOC or Kate bags to see if it will fit what I need it for most… thoughts??

The black envelope looks better. I like the contrasting black and gold.
The envelope does look stunning! The only thing that is throwing me off is the super shiny GHW. If I do pick the envelope, I will probably exchange it for a different color and maybe go with the black or silver HW. I like that the sunset HW is not shiny but it seems all envelope bags are equipped with really shiny hardware.

Reactions: brnicutie
I don’t have any bags in beige at the moment which is why I got the beige. I love YSL’s beige color! I am looking for a bag that I can use to more formal/ dressier event. One of my friends suggested the YSL clutch or WOC for fancier events. I am not a big fan of black bags because I notice I tend to carry them more during the winter months altho I do have a few in my collection. I am wondering if I should look at the YSL clutch, WOC or Kate bags to see if it will fit what I need it for most… thoughts??
Personally I like the envelope bag and sunset better than the clutch, WOC or kate because they hold more. At least I think they hold more. I don't have any of these bags but have been tempted by the envelope (my favorites in that are beige with gold hardware and the black on black but I just can't seem to pull the trigger) and the sunset (I was obsessed with the discontinued croc embossed light pink with silver hardware for a bit but a lot of reviews said it was heavy). If you are good at paring down your things then maybe go for the clutch, WOC or Kate.

Which clutch are you thinking by the way? I keep thinking the uptown clutch is gorgeous but eh I don't think I would get much use out of them at this point in my life. If that's the clutch you are thinking then I will mention that I heard the croc embossed on that one is harder to open than their pebbled leather.

The envelope does look stunning! The only thing that is throwing me off is the super shiny GHW. If I do pick the envelope, I will probably exchange it for a different color and maybe go with the black or silver HW. I like that the sunset HW is not shiny but it seems all envelope bags are equipped with really shiny hardware.
What?!!! I love the shiny gold with the envelope! I think that makes it look so dressy! Bling bling! Lol!

Personally I like the envelope bag and sunset better than the clutch, WOC or kate because they hold more. At least I think they hold more. I don't have any of these bags but have been tempted by the envelope (my favorites in that are beige with gold hardware and the black on black but I just can't seem to pull the trigger) and the sunset (I was obsessed with the discontinued croc embossed light pink with silver hardware for a bit but a lot of reviews said it was heavy). If you are good at paring down your things then maybe go for the clutch, WOC or Kate.

Which clutch are you thinking by the way? I keep thinking the uptown clutch is gorgeous but eh I don't think I would get much use out of them at this point in my life. If that's the clutch you are thinking then I will mention that I heard the croc embossed on that one is harder to open than their pebbled leather.
I’m thinking about the envelope clutch that has the same pattern as the envelope bag. But you are right, I am not sure how big/small it is just by looking at the photos online. I should probably go to the store to check and find out.

Another vote for the envelop - it’s a classic, and very versatile. My sister has the sunset in dark beige, and it’s definitely the bag she uses least, and is considering selling it. Her gripe is that it’s very heavy, and doesn’t hold much. IMO, if you want a flap bag, YSL has better options…

Reactions: NYorNowhere
Thank you to everyone who provided their thoughts and feedback. I decided to keep the sunset bag because it just speaks to me more.. and yes, I am aware that it can be a bit heavier. I don’t plan on taking it on a long day where I will be walking a lot so I think I can manage. The envelope bag remains to be in my wishlist for now - but it will be in a different color. Undecided on size — will decide that when I am ready for another YSL & will probably check in store so it is easier to make a decision. Although this will probably be a really long time from today….

Really appreciate everyone’s help and inputs as it helped me through the decision process — knowing what the pros and cons are of each and if I am willing to keep up with the cons since I chose to go with the one that seems to call out to me more after a whole lot of thinking… (wonder how many brain cells I’ve spent to think about this… lol)

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who provided their thoughts and feedback. I decided to keep the sunset bag because it just speaks to me more.. and yes, I am aware that it can be a bit heavier. I don’t plan on taking it on a long day where I will be walking a lot so I think I can manage. The envelope bag remains to be in my wishlist for now - but it will be in a different color. Undecided on size — will decide that when I am ready for another YSL & will probably check in store so it is easier to make a decision. Although this will probably be a really long time from today….

Really appreciate everyone’s help and inputs as it helped me through the decision process — knowing what the pros and cons are of each and if I am willing to keep up with the cons since I chose to go with the one that seems to call out to me more after a whole lot of thinking… (wonder how many brain cells I’ve spent to think about this… lol)

congrats on your sunset, it’s such a beautiful bag :smile:
I’ve got the medium envelope in a darker green colour with gold hardware and it’s one of my favourite bags because it’s so chic and is quite spacious. Can highly recommend!

Hi, have you decided which one? I'm considering to buy sunset or niki baby.

Hi, have you decided which one? I'm considering to buy sunset or niki baby.
I kept the sunset bag and am loving it! Absolutely one of my faves in my collection. It does not fit a lot tho so I don’t think I can bring it on vacation. Currently considering either a toy or small loulou or the baby niki as well for YSL. I prefer the baby niki for space but don’t like the colored hardware. I prefer either silver or aged gold HW however the only baby niki with my preferred HW is black and I already have my fair share of black bags and prefer a different color. Not adding any YSL in my collection anytime soon unless I find something that meets what I am looking for.

I kept the sunset bag and am loving it! Absolutely one of my faves in my collection. It does not fit a lot tho so I don’t think I can bring it on vacation. Currently considering either a toy or small loulou or the baby niki as well for YSL. I prefer the baby niki for space but don’t like the colored hardware. I prefer either silver or aged gold HW however the only baby niki with my preferred HW is black and I already have my fair share of black bags and prefer a different color. Not adding any YSL in my collection anytime soon unless I find something that meets what I am looking for.
Which size did you buy? Does it really heavy and not easily scratched?
Actually I really want niki baby at first, but I changed my mind when I saw it in real life.