First-time Hermes customer interested in a Picotin. What can I expect?

There aren't any rules. Since you're ok waiting til you get to Europe, personally I'd stop worrying and tell yourself you're going to enjoy a spot of luxury shopping in the US. Be nice, be yourself. Drop into ALL these three boutiques with the expectation of a fun browse and IF there's anything you are interested in, ask to see it. If there is not, ask if they happen to have any Picotins.
There is a bit of a bag shortage at the moment, and most SAs (not just leather) in big stores like BH and Madison have a limited number of things they can offer each day. But walk-in offers still happen all the time.

Don't burn out either your wallet on things you don't want, or your psyche on it being a game. You can always get your bag at resale.

If you want, stop at Fashionphile/Rebag/TheRealReal first to educate yourself on the bag and possible colors.

This is supposed to be fun, and it can be.
I really appreciate this take. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a thoughtful response! It's very helpful.

Sharing my experience at Cannes store in Nov 2019. Like you, I had Picotin 22 in mind. I’ve been collecting Charniere/Hinged bracelets wherever I go. The first item was checking out the bracelets and found one that I like. Then I wanted a tie for DH, picked one too. After those items, I simply ask for a Picotin 22, neutral color. SA said she’ll check and after a few minutes she told me to follow her to a room. Unboxed a Picotin 22 Black Clemence in PHW hardware. I tried it and asked for a Twillon. She brought several colours and I picked a black and white to try. That’s the story of my first Hermes bag.

Good luck in your search. Definitely don’t ask for the bag the moment you walk in. Start researching other items that you may like and then ask for them at the store. IMG_0737.jpeg

I'm going to add to this by noting ... you would not believe the number of people who just walk in and say "I want a Birkin" with absolutely no understanding that bags are in short supply and that SAs hear this constantly, not delivered in the nicest way either. So the simple acknowledgment of "I know it's tough, but I would love to find..." for a Pico honestly is way way better than so many customers' approach.

Source: what I have heard on every visit to any H store anywhere ever, triple it for the past year and a half :lol:

Reactions: mz_engineer12
I just remembered, some TPFers post that they did not havevthe good fortune to obtain a lottery appt at FSH. But, they approached thr leather concierge when no one was around and asked if it was possible obtain a bag that was not a BKC. I believe a few were lucky and got picos, Evelyn’s etc.

others have had good luck quickly checking out with apple pay on h.com. Though, i cannot speak from personal experience. I cannot stand h.com bc of the prancing pony icon

ETA : one popular reseller, fashionphile has dozens of picotins. ( if you are unsure, it’s easy to authenticate and take other precautions)

Last edited:
Fashionphile is always a good place to go at least to look at all the options for different seasons. Sometimes you’ll even see colors that you won’t be able to get at the store during current season. I don’t recommend theRealReal as there’s a 50% chance that the bag is in worse condition than stated while Fashionphile tends to be pretty accurate.

1683268698543.png

Hi you guys. I'm in the same position except that I live in Germany and I'm interested in Geta bag. Is it possible to walk into the store and just buy this one bag in Hermes shop in Germany? I'm actually also interested in the Kelly belt but not sure if it's also really available. I don't wanna go all the way to Düsseldorf and given no bag as am answer. I also don't wanna buy pre loved. Too scared of counterfeits.

Hi you guys. I'm in the same position except that I live in Germany and I'm interested in Geta bag. Is it possible to walk into the store and just buy this one bag in Hermes shop in Germany? I'm actually also interested in the Kelly belt but not sure if it's also really available. I don't wanna go all the way to Düsseldorf and given no bag as am answer. I also don't wanna buy pre loved. Too scared of counterfeits.
Not answering your actual Q directly, but I have a Geta it’s a great bag!

I don’t think they are that hard to come by, if you can be patient they pop up on h.com every now and then, there was one in the UK site just yesterday in fact.

Agreeing with the rest to buy items that you love only. If I were you, I'll definitely try my luck in Europe. Sharing some pico offered in Europe by walking in and asked
June 2018
Store in Baden Baden. I was offered a black pico 22 phw. Bought it together with a matching twilly.
Dec 2022
Store in Aix-en-Provence. I was offered a beton pico 18 ghw and a matching rodeo. Didn't accept.
Dec 2022
Store in Lyon. I was offered the micro lucky daisy pico. Didn't accept.
Mar 2023
Store in Zurich. Hubby was offered gris neve pico 18 ghw. Didn't accept.

Good luck :flowers: