Finally decided on T&Co E-Ring..but now what Carat, Color, and Clarity?

Hi didi,
Congrats on such a wonderful decision. I am an antique jeweler and it is very important to buy somewhere you really trust. Of course Tiffany and CO. is super famous but I am wondering why you would only buy there? Do you just love the store--I do--but I never buy there. You are paying over 40% more for the name. I don't know if you realize that all large diamond wholesalers buy diamonds from the same place.

With that said--look for clarity first, than color, than ct. size. Unless you want a big hunk of a diamond and don't really care about color and clarity. D,E, or F is colorless--the best, IF (internally flawless) is the top. From there, color and clarity go down a bit. Like G, H, color are really great, but may pull slight yellow. Not noticable to the naked eye but with a special light, loupe, or comparision diamond you may see it. For clarity, VVs, VVs1-2 etc are still great but again will show a tiny flaw. This may only be visable to the most expert eye.

So, thats my take on diamonds. I would shop around and not just choose Tiffany for the name. Yes, you can always trade up there, but many other fine jewelers have the same policy with far less overhead and markup. Sorry all :yes: Tiffany addicts.

I have a pre 1940's Tiffany jewelry collection. I loved their early jewelry. I guess I love the sentimentality and uniqueness of the old pieces. I always think Tiffany was so expensive it was given to a great love, and kept for that reason until the grandchildren needed money or didn't like the style. I am an old soul.

The way you reference VVS 1 and 2 makes it sound like you could possibly see a flaw.......they are just a step below IF......most likely the only way anyone would see a flaw in a VVS stone is if they were looking at it under a microscope. I have a VVS stone that has only 1 needle inclusion that you could never ever see with the nakes eye, we couldn't even see it with a loop, we had to look at it upsidedown under a microscope........ Just wanted to say a little something, if someone who is very new to diamonds read this it may lead them to be under the impression that even VVS is not good enough when it's nearly as good as you could get.......

I don't think you should sacrifice color and clarity for carat. I'd rather have a clean stone that is slightly smaller than a larger one that has more flaws.

I don't think you should sacrifice color and clarity for carat. I'd rather have a clean stone that is slightly smaller than a larger one that has more flaws.

I agree personally because I don't care for very large diamonds, so I wanted nothing less then a VVS.....But I have had friends that have SI stones that still look amazing, a good cut really makes a difference too. I would say to always try to stay in the VS and up range, but you only know for sure once you start looking at stones....... Color in my opinion is also a matter of preference, I think the most important is to have a clean well cut stone then compare a bunch in the colorless to near colorless range and see what you like best, it doesn't have to be the D color, don't even ask what the colors are until you pick the stone you like.....

I agree 100%. What's the point of a large ring if it doesn't shine and looks "dirty"?

I know someone that had to have a 2 carat engagement ring. Well, it's so flawed and unwhite (LOL, I think I just made up a word) that people notice that more than the size.

Look at cut, clarity and color and then worry about size.

I'm sorry if anyone thought that a VVS or VS stone would have a visable flaw with the naked eye. This is supurb clarity and the very slight or very very slight inclusions could only be seen with a loupe, microscope, diamond light etc.

When shopping a good hint is to bring a diamond with you that you already know the color, cut and clarity--then just put them together. This helps me when I don't have a microscope or diamond light with me. Have fun:yahoo: :yahoo:

So sorry Lola----

I'm sorry if anyone thought that a VVS or VS stone would have a visable flaw with the naked eye. This is supurb clarity and the very slight or very very slight inclusions could only be seen with a loupe, microscope, diamond light etc.

When shopping a good hint is to bring a diamond with you that you already know the color, cut and clarity--then just put them together. This helps me when I don't have a microscope or diamond light with me. Have fun:yahoo: :yahoo:

So sorry Lola----

No, Don't be sorry, you sound as though you have a great deal of knowledge to share on this topic, I was just thinking that the individual asking the question may not have much knowledge on this and I would hate for them to think they should only get an IF clarity and D color or something......There are lots of beautiful diamonds out there that aren't considered absolutely perfect and we don't know what kind of price range anyone is dealing with, I always say anything in the categories starting with V for clarity and no lower than near colorless for color should give you a pretty diamond as long it's a good cut.....

No, Don't be sorry, you sound as though you have a great deal of knowledge to share on this topic, I was just thinking that the individual asking the question may not have much knowledge on this and I would hate for them to think they should only get an IF clarity and D color or something......There are lots of beautiful diamonds out there that aren't considered absolutely perfect and we don't know what kind of price range anyone is dealing with, I always say anything in the categories starting with V for clarity and no lower than near colorless for color should give you a pretty diamond as long it's a good cut.....

I agree---but then its impossible to listen to me---my favorite are rose cut diamonds. I love them!!!! And my grandmothers engagement ring, which I now wear, is a 2ct K color, SI2 and I think it sparkles like crazy. See how twisted I am?? I love the sentiment more than the specs.:smile:

I agree---but then its impossible to listen to me---my favorite are rose cut diamonds. I love them!!!! And my grandmothers engagement ring, which I now wear, is a 2ct K color, SI2 and I think it sparkles like crazy. See how twisted I am?? I love the sentiment more than the specs.:smile:
That sounds amazing, I love antique jewelery! Plus I can find things that fit my hands and wrists more with antiques.... I have a size 3 ring finger....Honestly I think people get too caught up in grades......I have an emerald cut diamond which is a cut that really does look better with a good clarity, color is a matter of preference as far as I'm concerned......

I think getting an ideal cut is the most important after you decide what size (1.25 - 1.3 is a good size and still affordable). With an idea cut, colours in G, H still look Really white (they are near colourless afterall), and save you a lot of money. A stone cut to ideal proportions will reflect so much light, that you can easily get away with VS2 and even SI and the stone still sparkles like crazy. Hope that is helpful :smile: Let us know what you decide!!