Fashion Statement or Religous Symbol ?

i dont like the idea of religion as a fashion statement be it a cross or any symbol from any religion. For example i'm hindu and i absolutely hate it when i see ppl wearing hindu gods/goddess' as tops or jewelery etc... I think it's totally disrespectful. Tarina tarantino makes jewelery with one hindu god on it and her description for it is goddess when it's a male god i mean at least get ur facts rite if u r gonna disrespect hinduism.

I vote for both, I'm a catholic an have 2 girls in catholic school and no one there finds it offensive to wear a cross as a fashion statement, your promoting GOD and taking him everywhere you go! My grandmother and my mother used to wear their crosses with everything they wore and they were very religious so go ahead and indulge!

I think they can be both, as long as you don't wear them in a disrespectful way. I'm a christian but not religous really, so for me it's more of a cultural thing. Maybe with the religious tension building up worldwide lately,people tend to wear their religious symbols as a cultural statement more than a fashion statement?

i have a few friends who are Catholic and Christian, they wear crosses... but they dont seem to care at all if non-catholic or christian ppl wear them... i guess as long as it not upside down everything is sweet... i agree with what amanda said, " each to his own".

Being Jewish, I'm uncomfortable wearing anything that might be construed as a cross (even Tory Burch stuff). To me, it's about respect for my own beliefs and others'. But when I see people (like Oprah) wearing big blingy crosses, I usually assume it's more about fashion than religion.

I'm a christian but it does not bother me when I see others wearing it as a fashion accessory. I observe though that those who wear small little cross are christians while those who wear big chunky ones wear them as fashion accessories.

I wasn't raised with religion, but my grandparents were very religious. Up until a couple of months ago I had never worn a cross because I didn't know if it was "OK". When my grandma passed away she left me a beautiful cross that she always wore, and now I always wear it. So I guess it's OK to wear it for different reasons.

i don't think it should be deemed a "fashion statment" but i don't see a problem with anyone wearing one. i know alot of people who are fascinated by religion and crosses but aren't catholic/christian who wear a cross almost everyday

I suppose I am going to be in the 'minority' and agree with the others who say no. Like it was said before, I wouldn't wear a star of david as a fashion statement if i were not jewish. But at the same time, I think if you are wanting to wear something religious it can also be fashionable. So if i did choose to wear a cross, I don't see a problem with it being a fashionable looking cross... if this makes any sense...

I totally agree with you Megs and that makes sense.
I wear a cross first of all because I am Catholic and it means something to me, but I pick the crosses I wear because I like the way they look or are pretty.
I would not wear a religious symbol of a religion I was not in.
Crosses mean a lot to Christians.

as a Christian, the cross means everything to me. however, when I see someone wearing one simply for fashions sake, I don't get offended at all. my heart just breaks a little. probably the same way a Buddhist or Hindu would see me if I were wearing some trendy shirt with one of their sacred symbols on it. Thats why I don't do that anymore. Gotta admit though, there are some really pretty pieces of cross jewelry out there!

How topical Pradasmeow!

I was out shopping today and saw a hat and thought it had a cute design and upon further inspection I saw it was 5 crosses intermingled. Which was a nay for me.

I'm not Christian, but I don't think people should be flaunting around religious symbols.

Im a Catholic and have a Tiffany & Co Elsa Peretti cross which i wear everyday along with my Open Heart necklace, i see it as more of a fashion statement but even though i think that the T&Co Star of David necklace is cute, id never consider wearing one as i think that would be bad form.