Experience with buying Coach at Macy's ?

I just bought a bag there in August and took it back a few days later, but it did not have anything on it about 90 days and they did not mention it. Interesting!

WOW, I certainly did not know this! Thanks for posting this!! However...if they did not take the time to explain that to you, or mark the 90 days on your receipt, they have no recourse. I'm glad to learn this, although I typically just shop at Nordstrom or L&T for some reason. I rarely can find what I want at the Macys around here, albeit most of them are lower rent Macys, so I guess that's why! Guess I will be shopping for Coach there even less now!

Actually, the only return policy L&T has is your satisfaction. I don't think they have a return policy period timelimit.

YEah, my receipt was not marked in anyway and I have never been told by anyone but her about this special policy.

I'm just curious, if you buy something at Macy's that's not Coach what is the return policy? Isn't it 90 days with receipt? I am thinking they are just imposing their "normal" return policy on Coach bags... it's they only thing that makes sense... the BS about it being Coach's policy is another story...

I'm just curious, if you buy something at Macy's that's not Coach what is the return policy? Isn't it 90 days with receipt? I am thinking they are just imposing their "normal" return policy on Coach bags... it's they only thing that makes sense... the BS about it being Coach's policy is another story...

I don't know if the 180 return policy is only for cardholders, but that is what I go by because I always use my Macy's card, as I had on that purchase.

I really think it is 180 days for everyone, but it could just be if you use your Macy's card.

I don't have a Macy's receipt handy...

Most macys.com items can be returned to a Macy's store, with original proof of purchase, within 180 days of purchase. Read items with special guidelines for information about restrictions on store returns, as well as other restrictions.

This is from the online policy. The special guidelines here do not mention Coach either.

Last edited:
Macy's should not have a different return policy for items unless clearly stated.

I know that when some Macy's took over the "Robinsons-May" stores in California, they had the MayCo's "30 day return" policy in effect for a while. This was stamped on the receipt and clearly indicated the different policy for the "designer handbags" (D&B, Coach). It eventually went away.

I've returned an item well over 90 days. I wonder if this is a new policy, or if this is new for stores that have a "Coach boutique" in the store. :shrugs:

I would have called CS right there in front of them! I've rarely had issues with SA's at Macys, but the one time I did and asked for a manager, she refused and stood her ground. I got on my cell and called the 800-customer service number and told them an SA was being difficult and denied me the opportunity to speak with a manager ( and that I was still in the store), and within minutes, had a general manager in front of me.

I returned a pair of Coach shoes to a local Macy's store a few months ago and was told that the standard return policy is 180 days. I'd kept the shoes for about 183 days and didn't realize that there was the 180 days/6 months return policy. I hadn't worn the shoes (brand new in box) and was only returning them because the shoes were 1/2 size too big for me. I'd forgotten all about the shoes until I ran across them in the back of my closet. Macy's made an exception for me but they didn't want to refund the full purchase price onto my AMEX card (card I'd used to orig. purchase the shoes) since I was past the 180 days, despite the fact that I had the orig. sales receipt for my shoe purchase. Instead, they wanted to issue me a full refund via a Macy's gift card. I took the gift card and turned around and used it to purchase something else at Macy's that day. BTW, the price of the returned Coach shoes was coming up as $00.01 when the SA scanned the return sticker and informed me that they'd have to return the shoes back to their warehouse since they couldn't sell them anymore due to the price scan issue.

The only time I would get Coach from Macy's is if I had a gift card or they had something on sale that I wanted. Sometimes you can find stuff on sale at the dept stores that aren't at the Coach outlet.

Anyone know what kind of return policy Dillard's has? It's been awhile since I was there, but I think their policy was 30 days for returns??

At least at Coach, I don't have to worry about the return policy.

I just took a look at the back of my Dillard's sales receipt for their Merchandise Return Policy.... it states that "merchandise must be returned within thirty (30) calendar days of purchase". I purchased some shoes at Dillard's a few months ago and the SA stated that I only had 30 days to return or exchange the shoes.

I would have called CS right there in front of them! I've rarely had issues with SA's at Macys, but the one time I did and asked for a manager, she refused and stood her ground. I got on my cell and called the 800-customer service number and told them an SA was being difficult and denied me the opportunity to speak with a manager ( and that I was still in the store), and within minutes, had a general manager in front of me.

LOL.. only reason I "left" the store was I couldn't get an reception at the Coach counter! Damn AT&T...

I was still only like 200 feet when I got a hold of CS. Then when I got back in I asked for a manager and got the ALL-KNOWING Coach Manager.

I just took a look at the back of my Dillard's sales receipt for their Merchandise Return Policy.... it states that "merchandise must be returned within thirty (30) calendar days of purchase". I purchased some shoes at Dillard's a few months ago and the SA stated that I only had 30 days to return or exchange the shoes.

Yea, I really try not to shop there because there isn't one here in MI and I recently bought a pink heritage stripe tote on sale in TX, accidentally left it in TX, then didn't get back to town before the 30 days to return it :cursing:

I wanted the large (I had bought the medium, but the SA told me it was the large) but now I am stuck like Chuck.

***One time I bought a pair of shoes in JAX (7.5) and couldn't get back to DIllards in TX until the next month. The guy was really nice and just gave me a merchandise credit when I explained I didn't live anywhere near a DIllards. He didn't have to, I just would have given them to my sister as I had bought another pair in an 8 from Macys.