Engagement ring help :)

Thank you for your response! Funny you me mention this because the whole reason a new setting came about was because the prongs in my current setting did wear down and the diamond is wiggles/is loose. It would cost about $300 to get the prongs fixed. Even then, I’m not sure what a long term solution this is. What is your thought on that?

At this point I’m trying to decide between keeping what I have and getting prongs repaired and being open in the future to maybe upgrading the diamond size obviously with a new setting, OR upgrading now to a new setting and keeping my current diamond.

How are they going to "fix" the prongs? It sounds like for the price they're going to tip them. When prongs are tipped they apply tiny blobs of gold to the top of the prongs. I had that done to my mom's engagement ring and the tips now actually look like small blobs and obscure the diamond. It's not a good look. Plus it's a fragile fix. I was told to wear the ring only for special occasions not everyday because those little tips are apt to fall off and take the diamond with them.

The other alternative would be to have the entire prong crown or head replaced. That would cost more and in your case it would be difficult because the ring's not a solitaire.

When repairing or resetting an engagement ring you need to balance the sentimental elements with all the other factors. Decide what in your grandmother's ring is most important to you and what will most remind you of her. The diamond? The setting? Maybe the solution is to have her diamonds reset into a ring that's very similar to the current ring but to add your own small flourish or additional diamonds to the design. I know women who've taken the diamonds from their mother's and grandmothers' rings and combined them with the diamond from their engagement ring to create one fabulous ring.

Lastly you're the one who's going to be wearing the ring every day on your hand for the next twenty years. You have to look at it all the time. You want to love it and you want it to remind you of all the good people in your life like your DH and grandmother. What sort of ring will do that?

When my engagement ring started to fall to pieces I had the diamond reset into a ring that was similar to the one DH picked out but with a bit more gold on the sides. Enough to remind me of the original ring and DH's care in selecting it, but with a setting I liked a tad more. To have the old ring repaired I would have needed to have the back of the band replaced where it was thinning, plus replace the worn prong crown. I would have ended up with a patched together ring that wouldn't have been that strong structurally. Buying a new ring didn't cost much more.

You Grandmother’s ring is beautiful but it was a popular style at a particular time. I like the new style you have chosen and, if you prefer it, then get the diamond remounted. You’re still honouring your grandmother but wearing what you want.

Reactions: originalheather
How are they going to "fix" the prongs? It sounds like for the price they're going to tip them. When prongs are tipped they apply tiny blobs of gold to the top of the prongs. I had that done to my mom's engagement ring and the tips now actually look like small blobs and obscure the diamond. It's not a good look. Plus it's a fragile fix. I was told to wear the ring only for special occasions not everyday because those little tips are apt to fall off and take the diamond with them.

The other alternative would be to have the entire prong crown or head replaced. That would cost more and in your case it would be difficult because the ring's not a solitaire.

When repairing or resetting an engagement ring you need to balance the sentimental elements with all the other factors. Decide what in your grandmother's ring is most important to you and what will most remind you of her. The diamond? The setting? Maybe the solution is to have her diamonds reset into a ring that's very similar to the current ring but to add your own small flourish or additional diamonds to the design. I know women who've taken the diamonds from their mother's and grandmothers' rings and combined them with the diamond from their engagement ring to create one fabulous ring.

Lastly you're the one who's going to be wearing the ring every day on your hand for the next twenty years. You have to look at it all the time. You want to love it and you want it to remind you of all the good people in your life like your DH and grandmother. What sort of ring will do that?

When my engagement ring started to fall to pieces I had the diamond reset into a ring that was similar to the one DH picked out but with a bit more gold on the sides. Enough to remind me of the original ring and DH's care in selecting it, but with a setting I liked a tad more. To have the old ring repaired I would have needed to have the back of the band replaced where it was thinning, plus replace the worn prong crown. I would have ended up with a patched together ring that wouldn't have been that strong structurally. Buying a new ring didn't cost much more.

Thank you so much for sharing all of this wisdom! This gives me a lot to think about. My ring has also been sized up/down a few times, so it’s had a lot of work in all directions. I’m sentimental and love it though. I’m so really torn. I appreciate your response though, it’s helping to think it all through!

You Grandmother’s ring is beautiful but it was a popular style at a particular time. I like the new style you have chosen and, if you prefer it, then get the diamond remounted. You’re still honouring your grandmother but wearing what you want.

Thank you! I’m trying to also consider what she would have wanted me to do. I’m really sentimental so trying to weigh that in too.

Reactions: missconvy
if you need a jeweler, the people that made my setting specialize in vintage / antique pieces as well ... repairs and whatnot

their name is Ivy and Rose and they work out of Chicago - plus they're great people... :smile:

8B85A58E-914A-4487-B391-65B9E67E97CA.jpeg Well, you asked for opinions....personallyI think the baguettes look dated but neither ER setting works with your wedding band. Either plain or with a couple of diamonds on each side the same size as your wedding band diamonds. It would look great with either center stone...a half carat upgrade is probably not worth it because it will not look 25% larger.
Pictured is an example of what I am suggesting, just bigger stones.

My engagement ring is the same style as your grandmother’s. I have been wearing it forever (20+) and still get compliments.
While it might not be trendy or loud, it is classic, imo.
The diamond is the centerpiece and in your ring the diamond is really great.
I would not change a thing.
When I want variety, I wear it with different bands. I have some in different stones.
Sapphires, ruby, etc...

I think your grandmother’s ring is beautiful and that diamond looks plenty big to me! I would get it retipped and keep the original setting. Plus the baguettes draw the eye to the stone, making it the center focus. The sentimental value trumps the minor size difference in my mind....but I am a vintage lover and place value on personal history.

Please don't change it, the one you have is soooo stunning, and the the family history makes it even more beautiful. At least don't sell it or anything. I honestly think you'd regret it (although if you are planning on selling it, let me know! :drool:).