Does this sound like an outrageous price?

So..... I asked around and found another local jeweler and went there on Friday. They couldn't have been nicer and they are making me just what I want for ......... $350! They've done the same necklace many times (they don't use the "mickey mouse ears"), in fact they have a name for (named after one of the employees) and the owner of the store makes the jewelry himself. And instead of having to wait 6-8 weeks, it should be done within a week. So I hope to have pictures by next Friday! Thanks everyone for your advice, can't wait!! I realize the original piece is very unique but its just not me and Iwouldn't wear it (never have). Also - even though it was my grandmother's - she didn't leave it to me. Its a long story (and not very pleasant) but my father and his fourth wife took most of her stuff and sort of threw that piece at me so it doesn't really hold any sentimental value, lol! (it was rather tawdry - out of a bad soap opera!!) So at least this way, I'll have something that I can wear everyday that is special!

wow, good thing you shopped around! Hope you post a pic of the final result. :smile:

I picked up my necklace today and its just lovely!! They did a beautiful job and now they are going to make me a rose gold etoile ring as well!! Here are a couple pics!

Attachments

• rg1.jpg
    rg1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 147
  • rg2.jpg
    rg2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 147
Thank you! I'm very happy and not only that but they buy gold so I took in all sorts of old jewelry that I haven't work (or for that matter seen) in years (maybe decades) so it cost me nothing!! Win win!!

Doesn't flip or turn at all. They made it so it slides so the only issue that may come up is that I may have to adjust the clasp once in a while. When I talked to them about designing it they said they had made them before and flipping was never an issue. Perhaps it's because they use a rather thick bezel? Ill take a picture of it later to show the detail of it. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe its a tad long at 17"? But maybe not - ill live with it for a week and see, I can always have them shorten it since it is not fixed in place.

I picked up my necklace today and its just lovely!! They did a beautiful job and now they are going to make me a rose gold etoile ring as well!! Here are a couple pics!
I love it! Looks gorgeous!!!! I recently has an old ring (a tad under .75) set into a white gold bezel. My little local jeweler charged me $200. I think he did a great job. This did not include the chain.

c428f5d0-c398-4bd6-9261-48054ab3ea03_zps29cf56eb.jpg