Do your diamonds do this: turn dark purple in direct light/flash?

If it was Yehuda, it would be purple only at the area where the enhancement was, not the whole diamond. By all means get a second lab appraisal (certificates can be wrong; also, the buyer takes the seller's word that the stone bought is the one on the certificate), but the bottom line is that it's a beautiful stone irregardless of why it's flashing purple!

:censor: Seriously! Nothing in those images or her description of what she's seeing indicates that this stone is in any way different than indicated by the report provided with the stone. I don't really get the need for everyone coming on here to give this OP drama and cause for concern unless they're trying to drum up business for another seller.

Any fracture filling would have been very obviously picked up by the lab and would have been noticed. That is not something that can be hidden from a trained grader, or in many cases, the naked eye. AGS is as reputable as GIA, and is better known for their strides in the grading of, and improving the industry standards overall on, cut quality. It's a shame more people are unaware of them considering how important they are to the industry. They've even made GIA better.

I don't think anybody is trying to cause drama. I have never heard of this. And doing a google search and a search on price scope returned nothing close to this?
Is there a source of info on this that could explain the purple? That would be super helpful and put the op's mind at ease.
I was also wondering if it ever looks purple to the eye or just in photos?
It's super pretty anyways. Whatever the reason for the purple....

I will try to explain this more clearly... What you're seeing in this instance is a side effect of how the diamond's dispersion index is refracting the light from the flash of the camera, which is brighter than outside natural light. The flash has to make up for the lack of light around the subject by shining ridiculously bright to illuminate the subject, right? Well the subject in this case happens to be a tiny prism. When the light enters that prism, and from this particular angle, only one part of the spectra is being captured by the camera, which happens to be a blue/purple shade. It's not always blue/purple, because I've had my stone capture green, yellow, red, and blue from the flash from various angles, where the stone just lights up one color of fireball from that particular part of the spectra. A flash cannot bring out the fluor in a stone usually, and since she doesn't have a stone with that characteristic, that's not the case here. Being in a stone holder vs a full setting makes only a little difference, because more light is getting into and around the prism from the flash. Once it's set that will decrease a little.

Also not the case here is the misconception that her stone is treated, filled, or a CZ/other. I happen to be educated and have anecdotal evidence behind me, which is why I am so bent out of shape about this accusations of this stone being in any way treated, filled or somehow not authentic, I am not just saying this out of thin air to be an a$$hole. If this stone were any of those, it would not reflect the color in the photograph the way that it has and would do it from more angles than it has, besides that, the OP would almost certainly see it with a loupe and probably naked eye, depending where the stone was tampered with, fracture filling is not usually easily hidden on an unset stone. Since she doesn't see it in other lighting conditions, it's clear that it's not related to treatment.

This color is simply an effect of the flash and the diamond's prismatic effect on light.

Thanks ame, great detailed explanations. Makes sense to me. I see it all the time and mine is medium blue Fluor. I used to freak out about it and then I saw my stone unmounted and examined it under a 30x loupe. It looked great no issues, super clear. That is just the way it looks. And it's an F, vs1. My smaller diamond, also F vs1 no Fluor does the same thing. And at least 3 different jeweler a have examines it and said it was a great stone. Don't worry!!

I am glad that was a better explanation. That's actually an abbreviated post to what I had written before the forum ate it...grr...but it explains it still well enough.

There really is not a lot of clear explanation on this phenomenon online and why it happens and the closest thing on PS is still not really explaining why it does this under flash photography.

Diamonds also pick up their surroundings, so if there's a lot of cool light around you, or a blue object, that often interferes as well. My stone does have fluor, but that is not what is causing this effect.

Here's one of mine before it was reset that isn't quite the same angle but shows the blue spectra. I should've posted this in the beginning.

Attachments

• bluefireforexplanation.jpg
    bluefireforexplanation.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 487
This totally makes sense! Very scientific. Thank you Ame :idea:
I love your set!
I will try to explain this more clearly... What you're seeing in this instance is a side effect of how the diamond's dispersion index is refracting the light from the flash of the camera, which is brighter than outside natural light. The flash has to make up for the lack of light around the subject by shining ridiculously bright to illuminate the subject, right? Well the subject in this case happens to be a tiny prism. When the light enters that prism, and from this particular angle, only one part of the spectra is being captured by the camera, which happens to be a blue/purple shade. It's not always blue/purple, because I've had my stone capture green, yellow, red, and blue from the flash from various angles, where the stone just lights up one color of fireball from that particular part of the spectra. A flash cannot bring out the fluor in a stone usually, and since she doesn't have a stone with that characteristic, that's not the case here. Being in a stone holder vs a full setting makes only a little difference, because more light is getting into and around the prism from the flash. Once it's set that will decrease a little.

Also not the case here is the misconception that her stone is treated, filled, or a CZ/other. I happen to be educated and have anecdotal evidence behind me, which is why I am so bent out of shape about this accusations of this stone being in any way treated, filled or somehow not authentic, I am not just saying this out of thin air to be an a$$hole. If this stone were any of those, it would not reflect the color in the photograph the way that it has and would do it from more angles than it has, besides that, the OP would almost certainly see it with a loupe and probably naked eye, depending where the stone was tampered with, fracture filling is not usually easily hidden on an unset stone. Since she doesn't see it in other lighting conditions, it's clear that it's not related to treatment.

This color is simply an effect of the flash and the diamond's prismatic effect on light.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's actually my old set! My new one is around here somewhere... See if you can get my Tiffany2mm channel set reveal thread up. That's my current set. :smile: same stone different setting and diamond band. For all that I know about stones, I have a lot of bench drama. I have insane standards and that maybe makes it hard to find someone to meet them!

I hope that post and photo helped. I had to really dig thru old folders to find that image. I moved all the old setting photos out of my main folder and could not figure out wth I named it. I didn't think you were really concerned about the authenticity but I wanted to make sure that any other readers got real info in the event they also have a nice stone that does this. It's normal, it's not even just rounds that do it. And AGS is not a lab to ignore or discount!

The only thing that really matters is that you love it! Some people get obsessed with their stone, to the OCD extent of being terrified of wearing it, or cleaning it a hundred times a day. It's a symbol of your marriage, not the fetish object that Western culture had made it out to be. And it's beautiful, so wear it in good health & enjoy it's uniqueness!

I couldn't have explained this or even knew this info, but I trust ame's opinion and i'll +1 what she said :biggrin:

Ame, thank you for explaining this so clearly. I've seen enhanced and filled diamonds before, and through the loupe, the treatments can be easily seen and even sometimes with the naked eye if one looks at the enhanced diamonds closely. I'm also surprise some people never heard AGS, they've been around for so long now.

The only thing that really matters is that you love it! Some people get obsessed with their stone, to the OCD extent of being terrified of wearing it, or cleaning it a hundred times a day. It's a symbol of your marriage, not the fetish object that Western culture had made it out to be. And it's beautiful, so wear it in good health & enjoy it's uniqueness!
Very well said. And I resemble that remark!

I almost never wear my rings. Tonight was the first time this whole week. I think I wore them for a few hours last week... Not so much just out of OCD/fear, but because I can't use my hands if I have rings on and I work with my hands!

I couldn't have explained this or even knew this info, but I trust ame's opinion and i'll +1 what she said :biggrin:
:lol:

This kind of science is about all I have to share beyond mixing hairdye and ink on paper...

Ame, thank you for explaining this so clearly. I've seen enhanced and filled diamonds before, and through the loupe, the treatments can be easily seen and even sometimes with the naked eye if one looks at the enhanced diamonds closely. I'm also surprise some people never heard AGS, they've been around for so long now.
AGS is a major player with credibility and they need to be taken very seriously. What they've done in relation to cut grading and cut quality standards is simply incredible, it's made the entire industry better as a whole, they've changed the way diamonds are cut, graded, sold, etc. They are the reason we have IDEAL cut stones and finer guidelines for them. And having AGS on the scene has made GIA better as a side effect, and that's something I am immensely grateful for. If a jeweler doesn't know of them, or discounts them as a player at all, I pretty much know then and there that I can't work with or trust this particular jeweler because they're not keeping up with what is going on in their industry and that's to their own detriment as a business. AGS is here to stay.

Most enhancements (yehuda included) are pretty clear under a loupe and many to the naked eye. There's a different level of refraction from the materials that are used as filler, and they're usually very obvious. If this stone was enhanced, she'd know it before she took a flash photograph.

I agree with AME...don't worry and enjoy your gorgeous ring!
I think your high temporary setting has the most to do with the purple caste. The light satuation will be different and could be picking up color. When set in your permanent lower setting this will probably be eliminated.