Do you tip nursers after filler injection?

The tip creep is insane. I was recently buying flowers at a gift shop and the little credit card screen prompted me to tip. =|

Doesn't make any sense to tip for medical procedures. Restaurant workers are not making enough without tips so that's absolutely a different situation, but the PA who does my injectables is responsible not just for making a good aesthetic result (like a hairstylist etc.), but making sure everything his safe medically--if poor tips generate poor restaurant service, are we to assume that injectables will be less safe if we don't tip well enough/at all??

I wouldn’t tip for injections, nor a dental hygienist or cosmetic dentistry assistant....most of the staff at the cosmetic clinics [in countries with tipping cultures] I’ve been to have regular 9-5 hours and do not have low pay as nurses, PAs, doctors.... my laser and medispa clinic doesn’t accept tips, and I think it would be strange for a surgeon or nurse to offer tip options. I’ve been to one clinic that asked for tips (owned and staffed by 2 doctors, a husband and wife) and remember thinking it was unusual they would request tips for botox, considering they had no assistants and did mostly injections. I would only tip if it’s the norm in that service industry (hairdressing, housekeeping etc), or if it’s a service with low hourly pay (as in restaurants, transportation), with few exceptions.

If I feel like showing more appreciation to a clinic I’m frequently booking then I would send seasonal gifts or buy some of their products if they receive commission. The tipping culture is getting ridiculous. Especially considering these positions are the “lifestyle” jobs (good pay and great hours as far as careers in medicine go)

Last edited:
I work in aesthetic nursing in CA and it’s different than traditional medical nursing. In traditional medical nursing you are not allowed to accept tips, gifts, or any other incentives from patients. The policies vary from hospitals to different facilities but at any place I’ve ever worked you cannot accept anything.

This is my first job in aesthetic nursing and the way it is structured is that I get a low base rate (I’m talking LVN pay not RN pay) and keep 100% of my tips. Speaking to different aesthetic nurses and going on interviews for different companies I’d say it varies. Some aesthetic offices will pay their nurses a low base rate but allow them to keep tips, some give just a base rate like traditional nursing, and some will only allow nurses to keep their cash tips or a percentage of their tops. It varies by company but generally if you see a tip option at checkout I’d assume that the nurse is not getting their normal RN competitive base rate and that their paycheck is actually mostly based on tips (like mine personally). Just giving some insight as a nurse working in aesthetics. It’s a different world forsure!

If it's done at a salon type place yes. If it's in a Dr. office no. Reason, at a cosmetic salon they usually are not paid much and there will tip envelopes at check out. At a Dr. office they are usually paid more and don't expect tips

• Thanks
Reactions: 880 and limom
As for tipping nurses after filler injections, I personally don't think it's necessary. The medical professionals who perform these procedures are highly trained and licensed, and they're responsible for ensuring not just the aesthetic outcome, but the safety of their patients as well. They're not working for tips like waitstaff in a restaurant.

My clinic just started this!! After my normal Botox and filler appointment with my usual RN, I was asked at checkout if I wanted "to leave something" for her. Totally threw me off and said not today. I'm a generous tipper, but this is too far, too far. If the clinic is underpaying her (and she's a fully-booked, very in-demand injector), then she needs to move.

Reactions: Andradia
I don’t. I actually asked them if I should tip or not & they told me no tip. The clinic I go to is located in SoCal. I don’t think anyone should work for tip in 21st century (esp in a developed country!)

Reactions: thewave1969