Dionysus: Trendy or New Classic?

I love the Dionysus. I think the silhouette is so classic and it doesn’t have a lot on it so it’s kinda hard for it to go out of style. It might not be on trend like how mini bags are like the “thing” now but I don’t think it will ever be out of style. I also know that the only bag that they offer in the Gucci DIY program is the Dionysus so they will be producing it for quite a while I assume. You should totally check that program out if you want a Dionysus with like a special color gemstone hardwares and croc paneling. My heart stopped when I saw it. :love:

Not even chanel or hermes bags are "investment" pieces. You will never sell it for the amount you bought it or even more because it's a bag. You use it. Like a car, it loses value the minute you leave the store with it.

Investment pieces are houses in upcoming trendy neighborhoods, stocks, ect. Not bags.

I think the Dionysus is a classic piece. Totes will always be in, it fits a LOT, the print and color scheme isn't busy (if you buy the regular non bedazzled one), it matches with everything, it's a nice looking bag. I don't think structured totes will ever go out of style. I think the GG print will make for a great vintage bag in the future as well. Dior is even reintroducing the label canvas on all their bags. It's super trendy now. I think the Dionysus will stay trendy and will also be seen as a classic piece.

Gucci is going hard with the Dionysus line and I don't see them going away with it. It'll be like the soho disco bag I believe. Always "in" and always around in stores.

You should buy bags that you can see yourself using years down the line and not for trendy reasons. If you need a tote bag that can easily go from day time to night time transitions, get it.

Don't ever buy bags with the intention of selling them later. Trends come and go, buy what you love.

I literally have a $200 basic camera bag from popandsuki with my name on it and it's not sellable or an investment piece but it's so so cute and small, serves my needs, it's $200 I won't get back but I use it almost every day. Worth it. My cheapest nondesigner bag in my collection and also my favorite. :flowers:

Not even chanel or hermes bags are "investment" pieces. You will never sell it for the amount you bought it or even more because it's a bag. You use it. Like a car, it loses value the minute you leave the store with it.

Investment pieces are houses in upcoming trendy neighborhoods, stocks, ect. Not bags.

I think the Dionysus is a classic piece. Totes will always be in, it fits a LOT, the print and color scheme isn't busy (if you buy the regular non bedazzled one), it matches with everything, it's a nice looking bag. I don't think structured totes will ever go out of style. I think the GG print will make for a great vintage bag in the future as well. Dior is even reintroducing the label canvas on all their bags. It's super trendy now. I think the Dionysus will stay trendy and will also be seen as a classic piece.

Gucci is going hard with the Dionysus line and I don't see them going away with it. It'll be like the soho disco bag I believe. Always "in" and always around in stores.

You should buy bags that you can see yourself using years down the line and not for trendy reasons. If you need a tote bag that can easily go from day time to night time transitions, get it.

Don't ever buy bags with the intention of selling them later. Trends come and go, buy what you love.

I literally have a $200 basic camera bag from popandsuki with my name on it and it's not sellable or an investment piece but it's so so cute and small, serves my needs, it's $200 I won't get back but I use it almost every day. Worth it. My cheapest nondesigner bag in my collection and also my favorite. :flowers:

Thank you! I think I misstated in my original request - I don't mean "invest" like I will profit off of these bags - like worth investing my money if a year from now it will be played out. I totally agree.. I invest my real investment money into stocks... and enjoy my bags. I think I'm going to get this canvas style with the black suede trim. I'm excited! Thanks all for the feedback!

Reactions: mspsu16 and rosiier
In regards to the topic in this thread, is the Dionysus still seen out and about? I personally live in a area where not a lot of designer bags are seen around, other than the occasional LV neverfull etc, but I can't recall seeing it in any blogger/instagram pictures online either for the longest time... is it "out" already? :shocked:

In regards to the topic in this thread, is the Dionysus still seen out and about? I personally live in a area where not a lot of designer bags are seen around, other than the occasional LV neverfull etc, but I can't recall seeing it in any blogger/instagram pictures online either for the longest time... is it "out" already? :shocked:
Same... I live in an area where everyone wears Louis Vuitton because that's the only major brand store we have in town (and I do like LV, I just think the fact that I see it so often turns me off to purchasing from them more often). Our Nordstrom carries Chloe, Valentino, etc. but not much else handbag-wise. So I'm always looking to bloggers on Instagram as well as what my friends in NYC are seeing to get an idea of trends, up and coming styles, etc. to figure out what works with my own personal style.

I don't think the Dionysus is "out" at all, I think Gucci will be continuing to pump out various versions of the Marmont and Dionysus for a while. I DO think, however (and my girlfriend who works in fashion in NYC agrees), that Italian designers generally will have waves of trends and popularity (see: Fendi Fall 2018)whereas brands like Chanel and Hermes will be mainstays. That said, I absolutely love what Gucci is doing and where the brand is going, so I'm going to get the canvas Dionysus (with black suede trim) to add something a big more edgy to my collection (I have the Marmont in nude and a Chanel classic black flap for chain bags), even if it's not as popular in a couple years.

I follow Chase Amie's Instagram / YouTube and she just got the Dionysus. She has a more practical every-day trendy style, given she still has a day job and has to dress professionally, etc. She isn't a blogger who has unlimited money and sponsorships and can buy whatever is "on trend" every second - so that's refreshing and more relatable. I'd check her out!

Reactions: doni
I can't stop going back to the taupe suede Dionysus. I'm really close to pulling the trigger--it's just I can't really envision the taupe suede with silver hardware & how it fits in my wardrobe. So that's the only thing holding me back.

Be mindful that these IG, fashion bloggers, YT Fashion Influencers are living and selling "in the moment". We have to develop our own sense of style. The Dionysys (is it a double-dragon or double serpent?) will be a classic in my opinion - LOL. I really love that symbol. It reminds me of so many things..mythological, Roman, Greek, etc. I think the trend or styles will change with the bag. For example, suede vs leather, structured vs unstructured, "Boston style bags, vs hobo, heavily adorned bags, vs not, or seasonal colors.

Wildorkid - your collection is lovely.

I have not pulled the trigger b/c I am looking for an evening bag with Dionysus that is bejeweled or a specific canvas/suede one. I'm on BAN Island so it will be a while before I take the plunge.

Reactions: jbags07
Hello,
I am contemplating getting gucci dionysus perhaps in arabasque from previous collection (since I love the design). But was wondering if people are still carrying dionysus as I have not seen many around lately