Considering selling all designer bags to buy a birkin. Help me weigh the pros/cons

I think you have tons of cons to consider buying the Birkin. I wouldn't go with the Birkin. Instead of you like another Hermes bag that is not recognizable than the Birkin...consider the Victoria? Blondie? Lindy?
But TBH...I love the idea having more than one bag. One bag is just isn't enough to be settle with. :P

Woman. You just answered yourself. And I was getting ill just reading this post. Literally.

Obviously the Birkin is important to you, but you know on all levels that is not something you could carry off for many reasons, so it needs to be one of those "I'd love to, but .." and leave it at that.

For the price, you could commission a painting of the Birkin and hang it in either your home office or some other important place to you, and let it be a reminder of what's important to you.

IndiaInk, this was my reaction too!

OP, it sounds like you really want a Birkin, but you also know that for many reasons it really doesn't work right now.

I agree with those who said you really can't use the Birkin for everything, It's heavy, very conspicuous in some circles, doesn't have a shoulder strap, and what if it did get damaged and you have nothing else but one clutch?

If you really want a Birkin, start saving now. Maybe sell a couple of bags you no longer love, or don't really use, to start your Birkin fund. Or, look into another Hermes style. You can get a brand new leather Garden Party or Evelyne from the boutique for a fraction of the cost of a used Birkin. I find both of these styles more user-friendly and more under-the-radar than the Birkin. HTH!

OP it seems like buying a birkin is not worth it at the moment given the cons that you mentioned. IMO the birkin isn't that practical, I used to want one badly to the point where I asked to be put on the waitlist but then I realized it wasn't for me after all. I don't like heavy bags anymore and am more comfortable with bags with a shoulder strap. Let us know what you decide on.

I have actually purged a great deal of my bags at one point to buy a Balenciaga City brand spankin new... my old HG bag.

I will say this... we are clearly at different price points but the problem still parallels...

I REGRETTTTTTT that decision. I felt like a total douchebag walking around with a handbag that I had to treat like a small child. I ended up returning the bag because it literally gave me headaches. I even purchased a plastic tote box to use when I carried it my car... instead of putting it in the front seat like a normal human being. I drove me nuts. Can't tell you how good it felt to switch back to my RM bag.

I also don't like attention so if I can avoid that in any way... I do! A birkin would make me so uncomfortable... not that anyone would know what it is ... or even think its legit.

Find a happy medium, like others have said. Sell a few bags you don't use and maybe some jewelry...if it's something you want, and it's do-able, go for it. You can always sell if you decide it isn't for you, they retain their value.

I agree with others that 1) sounds like there are more cons for you and 2) a birkin bag is not an everyday bag. I also don't recommended them for folks that are afraid of anything at all happening to them (ie have coffee spilled on them), they are not that fragile and are built to be used/worn and if you plan to use it daily, something will get spilt on it at some point.

I wouldn't do it. To me there's a difference between having the money to purchase something and being able to afford it.
One of my rules of thumb is that if I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to it: stolen, stained, marked up- then I can't afford that thing.
Also- who wants to worry about judgmental co-workers or whether your wallet is fancy enough to be seen with your bag???
All that sounds like a drag and would take all the fun out of it for me.

I agree with the people who say sell a few and start a fund and work up to maybe one day adding the Birkin to your collection. But don't bind yourself to one high maintenance bag!

"No judgement being placed on anyone but regardless of your income level, $10k in the bank is always better than $10k on your arm"

Your words (certainly not mine, I think people should do and/or wear whatever they like). :sunnies

I can tell you from experience that no matter what bag you get, or how much money you spend on it, the excitement and the newness wears off after a while and you become bored with it and will start searching for a replacement.
I could never be content with just one bag. The bag I carry for the day depends on the mood I'm in, among other things.

I ended up selling my Chanel flaps (although I should have held on to them because I could have doubled my money!) because I was always SO worried about something happening to them, especially someone spilling something on them while out to dinner. I couldn't enjoy carrying them for fear of them getting damaged. Too much money for me not to be able to enjoy them.

I think in your heart you already know the answer, but good luck figuring it out, just in case.

You'll have one bag that's heavy, handheld, and work inappropriate. I get lusting over a bag, but you need to live your life. HG bags are overrated. Buy a Birkin when it isn't so much a stretch.