Would appreciate your help in authenticating this bag:

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate your help in authenticating this bag:

Thanks in advance!
No red flags that I can see...

Reactions: renaissancelad
Appreciate your comment on this one.

I'm just wondering because all the leather labels that I see have their stitches up to the lining of the bag. View attachment 5070315
Is it also normal to not have that stitch for a puzzle bag? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 5070316

This one is tough. I'm going to lean towards a super fake for the following reasons:

1) Good catch on the inner label. Even older Medium Puzzles (pre-2018) have stitches that go over the leather tab into the lining.

2) If you Google translate the description, it mentions this was purchased from the Vancouver Airport. I find this hard to believe as Loewe is not a popular brand in Canada and the Vancouver airport is pretty small. There aren't any standalone Loewe stores here, they're all part of larger chains such as Nordstrom or Holt Renfrew. I'd be surprised if there was Loewe at YVR - maybe someone from Vancouver can verify. Haven’t been there in a few years.

3) Based on the measurements this is a Medium Puzzle. MSRP of $2,820 CAD in the last photo is ridiculously low for a Medium Puzzle in Canada. For reference, even a Small Puzzle will cost $3,450 CAD these days. A Medium Tan Puzzle is currently retailing for $4,650 CAD on SSENSE. Even if this came out in 2014 when the Puzzle was first released and was purchased at duty free, I don't think a $1,800 price increase over 7 years makes sense.

4) The feet, dust bag and tags all look consistent with authentic Puzzles, down to the tag details (other than MSRP). However, tags are one of the easiest features to fake.

5) There are a few more features of this bag that are debatable, but it's difficult to tell unless the seller provides a photo of the date code tab. It would also be good if the seller can provide more photos of the "LOEWE" logo on the hardware (buckle and zipper). Date code is pretty key in authentication and I find it weird a photo isn’t included.

Last edited:
This one is tough. I'm going to lean towards a super fake for the following reasons:

1) Good catch on the inner label. Even older Medium Puzzles (pre-2018) have stitches that go over the leather tab into the lining.

2) If you Google translate the description, it mentions this was purchased from the Vancouver Airport. I find this hard to believe as Loewe is not a popular brand in Canada and the Vancouver airport is pretty small. There aren't any standalone Loewe stores here, they're all part of larger chains such as Nordstrom or Holt Renfrew. I'd be surprised if there was Loewe at YVR - maybe someone from Vancouver can verify. Haven’t been there in a few years.

3) Based on the measurements this is a Medium Puzzle. MSRP of $2,820 CAD in the last photo is ridiculously low for a Medium Puzzle in Canada. For reference, even a Small Puzzle will cost $3,450 CAD these days. A Medium Tan Puzzle is currently retailing for $4,650 CAD on SSENSE. Even if this came out in 2014 when the Puzzle was first released and was purchased at duty free, I don't think a $1,800 price increase over 7 years makes sense.

4) The feet, dust bag and tags all look consistent with authentic Puzzles, down to the tag details (other than MSRP). However, tags are one of the easiest features to fake.

5) There are a few more features of this bag that are debatable, but it's difficult to tell unless the seller provides a photo of the date code tab. It would also be good if the seller can provide more photos of the "LOEWE" logo on the hardware (buckle and zipper). Date code is pretty key in authentication and I find it weird a photo isn’t included.
1. I did not notice the inner label and yes that could be a red flag. Good catch! However as a counterpoint everything else about the label looks legitimate, so it really hinges on whether there were any labels that didn't have the stitch into the lining. If this was indeed a superfake, it would be puzzling to have them miss this detail as it's quite widely publicized as the defining detail of a real vs fake Puzzle.

2. I was searching the terms in TPF and I think some users have spoken about seeing Loewe at the Vancouver airport. I've tried Googling and there doesn't seem to be a Loewe boutique there though, so cannot verify this further.

3. My Large puzzle was purchased in 2017 in London for £1,850 including VAT of 20% and its duty free pricing would have been £1,541, so depending on year of purchase, CAD2,820 (especially if tax free) doesn't feel very off - there has been a ton of price increases at Loewe in the past two years which is quite insane when you think about it :sad:

4. Agree with you that everything else looks legit.

5. Agree that it will be helpful to see more images of the hardware.

1. I did not notice the inner label and yes that could be a red flag. Good catch! However as a counterpoint everything else about the label looks legitimate, so it really hinges on whether there were any labels that didn't have the stitch into the lining. If this was indeed a superfake, it would be puzzling to have them miss this detail as it's quite widely publicized as the defining detail of a real vs fake Puzzle.

2. I was searching the terms in TPF and I think some users have spoken about seeing Loewe at the Vancouver airport. I've tried Googling and there doesn't seem to be a Loewe boutique there though, so cannot verify this further.

3. My Large puzzle was purchased in 2017 in London for £1,850 including VAT of 20% and its duty free pricing would have been £1,541, so depending on year of purchase, CAD2,820 (especially if tax free) doesn't feel very off - there has been a ton of price increases at Loewe in the past two years which is quite insane when you think about it :sad:

4. Agree with you that everything else looks legit.

5. Agree that it will be helpful to see more images of the hardware.

2. I could be wrong as it's been several years since I've transited through YVR. But I do recall it being very small. For reference I'm from Toronto and our international airport's duty free selection is pretty terrible. So I'd be surprised if there was a good selection of Loewe at YVR. If there is, I'm connecting through there next time I fly to Asia!!

3. I can really only see the C$2,820 price being reasonable if it was when the Puzzle was first released. Usually CAD prices are higher than simply converting the GBP/EUR exchange rate. As an example, right now the Medium Puzzle €2,350 = ~C$3,525 before the VAT refund, whereas you'll see it for C$4,650 at Canadian retailers. The CAD was also a LOT weaker a few years ago, before Brexit.

That's why this one is tough - hard to say without the date code and hardware logos.

2. I could be wrong as it's been several years since I've transited through YVR. But I do recall it being very small. For reference I'm from Toronto and our international airport's duty free selection is pretty terrible. So I'd be surprised if there was a good selection of Loewe at YVR. If there is, I'm connecting through there next time I fly to Asia!!

3. I can really only see the C$2,820 price being reasonable if it was when the Puzzle was first released. Usually CAD prices are higher than simply converting the GBP/EUR exchange rate. As an example, right now the Medium Puzzle €2,350 = ~C$3,525 before the VAT refund, whereas you'll see it for C$4,650 at Canadian retailers. The CAD was also a LOT weaker a few years ago, before Brexit.

That's why this one is tough - hard to say without the date code and hardware logos.
One of the photos on the listing is of the date code though:

1619827091530.png

Thank you very much for all your replies. I asked for more pictures of the hardware from the seller. By the way, the seller posted the date code tab and the zipper (quite blurred, though) this morning.

IMG_20210501_090119.jpgIMG_20210501_090102.jpg
Any insights on this is highly appreciated. Thank you!

One of the photos on the listing is of the date code though:

View attachment 5070642
Thank you very much for all your replies. I asked for more pictures of the hardware from the seller. By the way, the seller posted the date code tab and the zipper (quite blurred, though) this morning.

View attachment 5070656View attachment 5070669
Any insights on this is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Whoops, didn't see the date code photo. Details on the date code do seem consistent with the rest of the bag, and looks consistent with my 2016 Puzzle.

Zipper hardware photo could be clearer, and it would still be helpful to see the LOEWE logo on the strap buckles. If they lift the top flap and provide a photo of the entire zipper section, that would be helpful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.