Chanel VS Hermès

I think my biggest issue with Chanel is the lack of after sale service. It is stressful to keep so many iridescent bags that can’t be serviced if they start peeling. My Chanel milk bag has a corner that has started losing its iridescence. I still love it but I can only imagine how stressful it would be to have a large collection of these. I haven’t sold my Chanel classics but I don’t use them either. At least I know my Hermes bags can be repaired.

However, I will say while Karl was alive this was a lot of fun. I enjoyed watching the shows and picking out a trendy bag or a new jacket. I watched the Hermes show this past weekend and texted my sa what I wanted. I nearly had a heart attack because I was worried she would respond “no you are not vip enough to reserve any of this.”

Lol. I miss the days when I could go to my Chanel boutique and say to my sa “hey wanna come to my wedding? You are my bff since I text you more than any of my friends.” Lol my Hermes sa is not my bff, she is like that douchy dude from my 20s that kept ghosting me and refused to meet my friends.
Lol. My experience has been the opposite. My Hermes SA is far more responsive and a doll. He knows what I like and pulls my size as soon as it comes in for me to look at. And I am NOT VIP at all! My Chanel SA in the actual boutique is very sweet but not that responsive. He's better than the last SA who ghosted me left and right. My Saks SA for Chanel is awesome.

Reactions: mcha and jenayb
Lol. My experience has been the opposite. My Hermes SA is far more responsive and a doll. He knows what I like and pulls my size as soon as it comes in for me to look at. And I am NOT VIP at all! My Chanel SA in the actual boutique is very sweet but not that responsive. He's better than the last SA who ghosted me left and right. My Saks SA for Chanel is awesome.
I have had the exact same experience. My Hermes SA is lovely, always responds to texts and takes time to always share something about Hermes history or a particular item. My Chanel SA's.... well I've tried but I don't have one. They all ghost me. If I want something I have to pop by the store and try my luck.

• Love
Reactions: fabdiva
I have had the exact same experience. My Hermes SA is lovely, always responds to texts and takes time to always share something about Hermes history or a particular item. My Chanel SA's.... well I've tried but I don't have one. They all ghost me. If I want something I have to pop by the store and try my luck.
EXACTLY!!! It's made me real indifferent to Chanel. I think that's why the price increase doesn't bother me as much. I was already thinking about deboarding the Chanel train before the price increase. I do love the sandals and sneakers. But I imagine I'll be price out of those as well. They're already more than Hermes.

I'm with 880 in thinking there is a place for both in my closet. I have B30's, a K28 and Chanel classics along with several minis. I have a modest amount of Chanel and Hermes RTW. Most are neutrals or easy to use colors. There are things I love from both houses and I tend to blend them while getting dressed. Shopping is supposed to be fun and I think now it's become too much of "a game" for the hard to get/popular items. Although I understand the strategy, I miss just dropping in a store while out shopping for pleasure and finding things I love. Now, it's all about pre-ordering and reserving.

I agree that there’s room for both brands and agree with those saying don’t rehome your Chanel bags too quickly.

I went through a huge H phase over the past 2-3 years and a few months ago I had barely touched any of my Chanel bags and wore H bags every single day. 23P has reignited my interested in Chanel as it’s very much my style in terms of RTW, shoes and bags and I have bought so much and for a couple of months now have not really worn any of my Hermes bags.

It’s cyclical, and tastes and preferences change. A couple of years ago I hastily sold a proportion of my Chanel collection - including quite a few special bags and a few jumbos - because I was overwhelmed and I wanted to focus on H and just classic Chanel bags. I’ve become more interested in special bags and I do regret selling quite a few of those bags.

over the years i had actively been acquiring RTW and bags from chanel and hermes. Though i love both brands because of the different styles- one more classic and the other more trendy-i feel in chanel the service level has dropped dramatically. The sa's don't reply for the longest times...there bags don't seems different to the past collections ...so altogether i find myself buying more Hermes bags since the last 2years ...also i find the price increase way to steep and would only buy something if i absolutely loved it in chanel.

Reactions: PurseCloset
over the years i had actively been acquiring RTW and bags from chanel and hermes. Though i love both brands because of the different styles- one more classic and the other more trendy-i feel in chanel the service level has dropped dramatically. The sa's don't reply for the longest times...there bags don't seems different to the past collections ...so altogether i find myself buying more Hermes bags since the last 2years ...also i find the price increase way to steep and would only buy something if i absolutely loved it in chanel.
Honestly I would shop at H more if they made it easier for me to find items I like even though I love my SA there. The bag I want hasn’t been available for a year for instance, and I spent a decent amount. At least with Chanel, if I show up at the right place during launch, I can locate 90% of the stuff I want.

I hear you on the reps but it’s a case by case situation for me. For instance in my experience, bigger metro area reps are less friendly due to a lot of competition and they’re too busy to be able to respond fast.

Luckily I was able to cultivate a strong relationship with a SA in another city and she goes above and beyond to find the items I’m looking for and shares upcoming collection photos/info with me ahead of time. I’m in a city with some of the biggest boutiques and I never go to them because they’re just too snobby for my taste, and been ghosted by multiple SAs where I stopped trying.

Reactions: peke<3cc
I have a few Hermes pieces but they are small leather items like card holders along with scarves and bracelets. All of those I enjoy. I can’t afford the K or B - I had the Yeoh bag but didn’t find it of great use - too bad I sold it - maybe it would be worth more now that she’s won a Oscar. The thing about their bags that doesn’t work for me is I usually need more zip or flap compartments which I find more in the Chanel line. And they always look unfinished inside. JMO