Cartier or Tiffany's for an Engagement Ring?

This is a little old, not sure if OP has made a decision? But I'll give my $.02 anyway ;)

If you love the soleste, I would probably go with the actual soleste. I've seen tons of soleste repros online at various forums, and I think you definitely can get a very close repro, but based on the research I've done, I think your cost savings would be pretty marginal. An intricate design with pave would also make me more apt to want to have a physical, local jeweler who could inspect and repair it whenever needed. It's pretty clear that the markup on the Tiffany solitaire is significant, and I personally would not ever buy a branded solitaire because the value isn't there (for me). But for a specific design, it may be worth it. If you try on the soleste and love it (which is important because I drool over it online but it looks awful on me), I would get quotes from some of the other vendors who would nail this style (VC, SK, ERD, etc) and decide if the cost savings would be worth it to you.

Additionally, if you love the soleste but wish something was different (ie you could fit a band flush, different sized melee, etc), you could definitely get a high quality repro done elsewhere. You need to try it on first and assess how much you like it, and if it's "the one," and go from there.