Buying Bags For Investment

I do think a bag is an investment IF you can sell it for profit like buying pre-loved well below average and sell it at high. There's plenty of noveau rich x which hindern the shift from materialism to experiences but eventually I believe people are more willing to pay for innovative gadgets in the future than for the bags.
My post were censored being critized it sounded too racist though I did express in neutral way.

There's more proofs about the "x", for example, "Revenue growth in China’s luxury segment was around 15 to 20 per cent for the first half of the year, Zipser added." source: https://www.scmp.com/business/money...xury-brands-again-chase-chinas-young-rich-and

I know bags are not an investment but Id rather have an high end bag which I can still get some amount rather than a 300 value bag which can be sold for 50 dollars. My husband told me hes ok if i buy one expensive bag at least every 4 years than buy lots of low end bag

Some excellent thoughts here! This is turning out to be a really good discussion.

I should say that only a small portion of luxury youtubers act as if you can make money off goods. However, these users tend to have larger subscriber bases and more views than youtubers that differ in opinion. Sometimes I'm just watching a haul video, and the creator will say 'oh its an investment.' I, like many on this thread- was under the impression that fashion investments were items that you wear alot over time. However, the youtuber will then talk about 'the value' of the bag increasing over time and it turns out, we have wildly different ideas. Suddenly, youtubers who are influenced by other bloggers begin to sprout the same line. It changes how you look at bags- you no longer see them fitting into your own personal world, but instead, you view them as financial investments. It's no longer exciting and fun.

And my point is there a moment where misguided advice turns into free advertising for Chanel and Hermes as well as reseller sites. Because people are under the misguided notion that they'll make money, I find it to be unethical and misleading, bordering on reckless and financially dangerous.

I also think people underestimate what great of an influence YouTube can have on consumer decisions. There is a reason why companies partner with them. You may not be consciously thinking 'hey I'm buying this Birkin because this youtuber said I should.' It's more subconscious and subtle. Perhaps you were considering buying a Birkin, but you didn't take the plunge until you heard a 'success' story and watched an unboxing. Marketing isn't about changing minds instantly, but about slowly persuading you into being a lifelong customer.

I believe fashion can be fun and artistic, and we can help each other to make decisions that will enhance our own personal style. But there are times when we have to be critical of the messages we receive considering we pay a premium.

I'm only 24 and have just started my luxury collection. The thought of making 'investment' purchases stresses me out so much. What doesn't stress me out is curating a collection full of pieces that I love, cherish and use. Okay this post is getting long- I just have alot of thoughts.
I think overpaying for fashion is dangerous. Right now the prices of LV, Chanel and Hermes are

I think overpaying for fashion is dangerous. Right now the prices of LV, Chanel and Hermes are
But, is it possible to “overpay” for these bags at original retail? If you look back over the years of posts, people were calling the bags overpriced 10 years ago, 7 years ago, 4 years ago, a year ago…

The current prices reflect what this hot buying market will allow. The brands will never lower the price so, in 5 years, they will be even higher than today. And, if history is any indication, that price difference will have outpaced the general inflation rate.

I agree and the people who are speculating on bags are the ones who can the least take the hit.
Good luck to those who want to mix investment and fashion.
What happens if the bag get stolen or damaged?:huh:

I agree and the people who are speculating on bags are the ones who can the least take the hit.
Good luck to those who want to mix investment and fashion.
What happens if the bag get stolen or damaged?:huh:
Buying bags for purely investment purpose is really dangerous. I am keen in buying them for investment initially...however, the "what if" keep coming up. Its really a bad idea.
In the end I just feel that having something with increasing value just makes me feel good. Whether or not someday I am going to sell them or not becomes secondary.

I don't believed that bags is investment..My husband always saying buy whatever makes u happy and not investment. He doesn't believe luxury bag..Walmart bag is same as luxury bag carry same thing..lol. Everyone has a own perspective about buying and selling..Either way, I respect what they believed about buying luxury. Whatever makes u happy, go for it

Bags are not an investment. It can get damaged or burned. Its prone to wear and tear. Just buy it to enjoy it but never think of it as something that can appreciate in value. Yup you can still get a load of money to resell it but its still not the same as the amount you paid for it. Just enjoy the bag

Reactions: Gimmethebag
Bags are not an investment. They depreciate just like a car. The minute you buy one and drive it off the lot, you have lost money. Jewelry and bags will rarely ever appreciate in value. Just my 2 cents.

I bought some of my Cartier jewelry new because it tends to hold its value pretty well, but unbranded jewelry? I will buy diamonds pre-owned all day, every day. My inside-out diamond hoops look brand new and I paid closer to $1K than $5K.

I don't sell my bags, so I don't consider resale value on them. If I can see them working for me for years, trendy now or not, I will purchase. I told my husband I would like to start building an account up at Hermes because I have very little interest in paying reseller prices. Not to mention, I am the kind of idiot who wants a designer bathing suit or workout set anyway.

Investment pieces for me mean an investment in myself so I present myself nicely. Yes, some bags "beat the index" but a bag collection can only fund your retirement so far... I'd rather make long-term investments so when I am older, I own my home outright and have enough income coming in via interest to keep myself in bags forever.