Blue Nile Signature Ideal-cut vs. Tiffany's Excellence Cut - are they the same?

Hi!

is the Blue Nile Signature Ideal-Cut the same quality as Tiffany's Excellence Cut?
Or is Blue Nile Signature Ideal below Excellence cut?

TYIA!

Hubbie got my Tiffany e-ring almost 3 years ago. I just went to the bluenile website and entered the same specs of my diamond to see how the pricing is on Blue nile and the diamond price of today of the same specs of mine from Tiffany 3y ago are about the same!!! I don't know if the 3 years make a different in price..

What I am tryin to say is NEVER buy a diamond without seeing it with your eyes. We asked to see at least 5 diamonds that's over 1 carat with 3 EX from Tiffany and all of 5 didn't shine the same way. We chose the sparkliest one out of 5 to purchase ...all 5 were similar in price range too!

Labrat from this forum told me about this scope website to enter my diamond specs in (like the %) to see if it's below 2. Mine scored just below 2 so it is for sure one of the best I can get for my money.

I reserved a pair of studs for 1.5 weeks, I hope I will catch up with the know until then.
Although I don't think Tiffany will provide any information on table and depth.
Tiffany will provide that information upon request, though it depends generally on the size. One thing you can do in the event that they cannot or will not on such sizes of stones, buy an IdealScope online or an H&A Viewer online and bring that with you to look at the stones in person. That will give a quick yay or nay on the stones without going through too much drama getting certs/numbers.

Thank you Ame!

I guess the small stones at Tiffany's are not AGS graded.
What you say makes totally sense: today when I looked at the stones (some 4-prongs, some bezel-setting), they were not all stunning. Some where, many where, but not all.
And it seemed to me as if the VS1 stones in the bezel setting pleased my eye more than the VVS1 in the prong-setting.

I will have to learn my lesson to be more educated and I definitely will not buy a stone without a certificate.
Though I will have to check at what size the certificates are available. I guess there is a min. ct size for that.

You are also right about the brand: it does give me security. Probably also because the first studs I tried there were far above other studs I had tried at the jeweller. One could say I am still on the hunt for the best place for diamonds in Vienna. And I will trust my eyes. And of course my heart: If the heart doesn't jump, it's not right!

May I ask: when you've bought online, did you ever return an item?
I have! I actually sent back and forth 4 diamonds with GOG before we settled on this one, and then I ended up flying out there anyway. But prior to that I bought and returned several items, diamonds and jewelry. It's not fast or always cheap, but as long as you send it USPS Registered when the vendor doesn't supply an insured UPS/FedEx option, its great. Just be sure it's insured somehow for full value.

I don't know if there's an Infinity dealer in Vienna, I know there are a few in Europe. I know Dr. Indira Marchant in UK is one. I also couldn't tell you a guesstimate on a price for such a thing there, but that would give you a chance if nothing else at seeing what a true super-ideal diamond looks like in person. Their stones are TIGHT with measurements. They vary so little from diamond to diamond. Paul Slegers is the MAN.

I bolded the key phrase in your post above. Do NOT settle. It might not seem like a massive purchase in the scheme of things, especially not to many of the folks on this forum, but you're buying diamonds and you're buying something that's frankly not cheap. You might be a millionairess but it's still money. And if you don't love it, don't spend the money.

As far as the VVS to VS correlation--the naked human eye in almost every scenario will not discern between the two. I tend to say VS1 MAYBE VS2 for most things. Earrings you can almost certainly do an SI1. Sure it's nice to have higher clarity, but it's not necessary. Rarely if ever will someone's face be so close to your ear that they can see an inclusion. lol As long as they're fantastically well cut, they'll scream amazing :smile: My stones for my studs are SI1 and SI2. They are completely eye-clean (whether or not you can see the inclusions with your naked eye) and one is actually loupeclean. And these were not earrings I spent time weeding through stones on. I just got em at Nordies!

To my knowledge Tiffany's does not usually obtain stones with AGS certs, if they aren't their own report it's GIA almost always. That said, many stones under half carat, and in some cases even just up to a full carat, don't get a cert from a lab like GIA or AGS. Some jewelers, tiffany included, don't think it's worth the investment of time or money unless a customer asks for it.

One thing that's good to also keep in mind, with studs especially, is finding well matched stones (visually mostly). I would hope Tiffany would make that effort, you never know.

Can we make this a sticky??? :lol::lol::lol:
:lol: Yes, actually I suck. I was working on a diamond FYI kind of sticky and i told Swanky Id message her when I had it ready. Well...wedding season started early and I backburnered it! I need to finish my work and then focus!

Hubbie got my Tiffany e-ring almost 3 years ago. I just went to the bluenile website and entered the same specs of my diamond to see how the pricing is on Blue nile and the diamond price of today of the same specs of mine from Tiffany 3y ago are about the same!!! I don't know if the 3 years make a different in price..

Labrat from this forum told me about this scope website to enter my diamond specs in (like the %) to see if it's below 2. Mine scored just below 2 so it is for sure one of the best I can get for my money.
Probably Pricescope. And the HCA is the same as the link I think was mentioned above. Excellent learning on that site IF you can get beyond all the shilling and ridiculous plugs for preferred vendors. I have bought from many of those preferred vendors and will never recommend two of them to any one even my worst enemy. Especially the one.

As far as your comment on the pricing on your specs from when you bought three years ago to now--Diamonds have SHOT UP in the last few years, but mostly in the last six months to a year. So that same stone that was on BN maybe 3 years ago might have doubled in price if not more by now. Your Tiffany will have definitely gained substantial value due to that, and due to the fact that it's an intact branded piece from a house. You might have noticed that in your insurance premiums on it as well. The insured value will have gone up quite a bit. I just got my renewal and almost peed myself when I saw that. Yikes.

What I am tryin to say is NEVER buy a diamond without seeing it with your eyes. We asked to see at least 5 diamonds that's over 1 carat with 3 EX from Tiffany and all of 5 didn't shine the same way. We chose the sparkliest one out of 5 to purchase ...all 5 were similar in price range too!
Good to hear this! At least I won't feel insane, when I ask the SA to show me another pair with the same quality because I feel as if they are not alike.

The only downside really is that there are not enough people out there who dare to "look", they "read" and buy.

True, there are a lot of those kinds of people. I think reading and looking are vital.

A bigger issue is those who settle or take the word of someone else that wants to make a sale, and doesn't care about being honest.

Also get yourself an ASET. They sell little hand-held ones. Those were developed by AGS and you can bring one. It's not as awesome as the real ASET scope a jeweler has but it's enough to help weed some things out :smile:

Also get yourself an ASET. They sell little hand-held ones. Those were developed by AGS and you can bring one. It's not as awesome as the real ASET scope a jeweler has but it's enough to help weed some things out :smile:
Hi ame!
I suppore the ASET works for non-setted diamonds, only?

After having read only a small percentage of all the informations that's available online, I feel as if I should leave the diamonds and turn towards plain gold. There is so much you need to take into consideration...

I know this leads a bit far away from the original posting, but still:
Gold versus Diamond investment - comparison

Gold is not as rare as diamond. Diamond is a thousand times more rare.
There is more gold explorable at the earth surface. Gold is a long time precious metal, since Inca time.

Gold speculation, ie. trading gold without the actual goods, makes the
metal exchange volatile and speculative.

The high degree of rarity of a diamond makes up its value. In addition
diamond has a high value for its very low weight, it is easy to transport.

Obviously you will need a reliable source to purchase your diamond,
a diamantaire who is able to guarantee a buyback at the exchange rate of
the day.

The best investment in diamond is to wear diamonds in diamond jewelry, easy to trade only in case one needs cash
source: http://www.ajediam.com/investing_diamonds_investment.html

If you're looking to purchase the diamond(s) for investment, yea, not a good idea. But if you want to wear them and love them, that's where the worth is. As I said in the other thread, reselling them and expecting any sort of even break or profit is unlikely. Also probably not a great idea to buy gold now at it's highest lol wait til it's low, then sell when it's wicked high like it is now.

As far as the ASET--you can use it on a set stone, it doesn't work AS well but will work. Any of them will work better unset. But in a pinch you can use them set for sure. I use my viewers on mine when set.

I don't know if there's an Infinity dealer in Vienna, I know there are a few in Europe. I know Dr. Indira Marchant in UK is one. I also couldn't tell you a guesstimate on a price for such a thing there, but that would give you a chance if nothing else at seeing what a true super-ideal diamond looks like in person. Their stones are TIGHT with measurements. They vary so little from diamond to diamond. Paul Slegers is the MAN.

I bolded the key phrase in your post above. Do NOT settle. It might not seem like a massive purchase in the scheme of things, especially not to many of the folks on this forum, but you're buying diamonds and you're buying something that's frankly not cheap. You might be a millionairess but it's still money. And if you don't love it, don't spend the money.
Hi ame, I want to thank you once more! (somehot I missed your long posting at first).
I am not sure if I understand it correcty: did you mean "when the heart jumps up and down" I should NOT settle because I should take a closer look at the specs?
I am not sure ...

I had a friend with me and he could see the difference between VVS1 and VS1 with his eyes. I got it, too, but not as clearly as he did. The difference was the fire, the sparkle and the brightness.
The VVS1 sparkled and had a fire, but it was less bright. The VVS1 was just above the VS1 and you could see it, especially in the 4-prong-setting, not so much in the bezel-setting.

you know, I once started cooking intensly and my mother said "If you are into something, you totally are into it, 100% at least",
Maybe that's what pleases me with diamonds: it is right to be totally into it. 110% at least. :smile:)

I reserved a pair bezel-set studs at Tiffany's, they keep them until beginning of July- The SA told me if they sell them (without me putting my hands on them), they woudl try to find a new pair with the same specs. And that's exactly where all what you say comes appears on the scene: I don't trust them that they will find the same sparkle. They could, but there is no guarantee. I could find a new pair with the same spaces and it would not make my heart jump. Because of all what you said: the cut might not be excellent, the VS1 might be more of a VS2 ...
I might go back to the store next tomorrow and take a closer look.

ame, best wishes for your preperations and thank you for taking your time!

I feel very priviledged, knowing names of people who are the best in their field, thank to you.

Hi ame, I want to thank you once more! (somehot I missed your long posting at first).
I am not sure if I understand it correcty: did you mean "when the heart jumps up and down" I should NOT settle because I should take a closer look at the specs?
I am not sure ...
No I mean that if your heart isn't jumping and you arent' in love, don't go for that one. When it's perfect for you, you will know. :smile: Don't settle if it's not giving you the happy good feelings.

I had a friend with me and he could see the difference between VVS1 and VS1 with his eyes. I got it, too, but not as clearly as he did. The difference was the fire, the sparkle and the brightness.
The VVS1 sparkled and had a fire, but it was less bright. The VVS1 was just above the VS1 and you could see it, especially in the 4-prong-setting, not so much in the bezel-setting.

Actually the fact that it was VVS1 wasn't what made it sparkle more or have more fire. That was all about the cut. The clarity will not impact the brightness or fire when it's in those ranges. The difference in those two stones was not the clarity, it was the cut quality. And the VVS1 may just have been a better cut than the VS1. You might find another pair that are VS clarity that sparkle or have more fire than the VVS1 even. Or be equal. I also wonder--what was the color grade on each of those pairs. I find slightly warmer stones (say, H color vs E color) to have more fire sometimes.
you know, I once started cooking intensly and my mother said "If you are into something, you totally are into it, 100% at least",
Maybe that's what pleases me with diamonds: it is right to be totally into it. 110% at least. :smile:)
That's important. It is worth diving in and learning all you can when you're itnerested. It's not only fun to know, it's also good knowledge when you're making such a purchase. Being an informed buyer is important.
I reserved a pair bezel-set studs at Tiffany's, they keep them until beginning of July- The SA told me if they sell them (without me putting my hands on them), they woudl try to find a new pair with the same specs. And that's exactly where all what you say comes appears on the scene: I don't trust them that they will find the same sparkle. They could, but there is no guarantee. I could find a new pair with the same spaces and it would not make my heart jump. Because of all what you said: the cut might not be excellent, the VS1 might be more of a VS2 ...
I might go back to the store next tomorrow and take a closer look.
If they bring another set in, just be sure you see them and don't just ccept that that's all they found.

When your heart jumps, thats the one.

ame, best wishes for your preperations and thank you for taking your time!

I feel very priviledged, knowing names of people who are the best in their field, thank to you.
Absolutely, my pleasure :smile:

Actually the fact that it was VVS1 wasn't what made it sparkle more or have more fire. That was all about the cut. The clarity will not impact the brightness or fire when it's in those ranges. The difference in those two stones was not the clarity, it was the cut quality. And the VVS1 may just have been a better cut than the VS1. You might find another pair that are VS clarity that sparkle or have more fire than the VVS1 even. Or be equal. I also wonder--what was the color grade on each of those pairs. I find slightly warmer stones (say, H color vs E color) to have more fire sometimes.

I just want to ditto what ame said here, because it's a very common misconception that clarity=sparkle/fire. It's a misconception that often leads consumers to buying something "more" than what they may need. Sparkle is based on cut. A super ideal SI1 will out-sparkle a very good cut VVS1.

Someone commented that a good cut has 57/58 facets. Brilliant Rose has a fancier cut to maximise shine (66 facets). Does anyone know how many facets a regular Tiffany solitaire has?