Black finger, real ring?

I've never tried this, but I've heard that if you take clear nail polish and coat the inside of the band that it will prevent your finger from going black. Acts as a barrier between your skin and the ring.

I've done this in the past and it works. I had some handmade Native American jewelry that was made of nickel silver. Anything with a lot of nickel makes me break out. I carefully painted the inside of the ring and bracelet with clear polish. I as able to wear the pieces with no trouble after that.

I had a problem with all 3 fingers coming into contact with my yellow gold wedding ring set turning black. I tried having them professionally coated by a jeweler, but nothing worked. I finally took the rings to a jewelry designer, and he used my diamonds to create a new ring set in platinum. I have never had a problem with black fingers after that. Now I want an eternity ring made to go behind the others, and one is being created for me using palladium, which is a sister metal to platinum, but lighter in weight, and much less expensive. I have been assured that palladium, like platinum, is non- allergic, and should not cause my fingers to turn black. I will post again once I have worn the new ring. Jill:biggrin:

Wow I learnerd a lot here! I notice sometimes my gingers get black from my rings..It's only once in a while..now I'm going to have to pay attention as to what time of the month it is!!! Huh..very interesting!!

I've never tried this, but I've heard that if you take clear nail polish and coat the inside of the band that it will prevent your finger from going black. Acts as a barrier between your skin and the ring. Also, I do know that certain hand lotions will cause that problem because of what's in the lotion, not because of your skin PH type.

I'm not exactly sure which chemical reaction causes the black finger, but I want to say that if your body PH is a bit on the acidic side, that can cause your finger to turn black. Do you eat lots of oranges, limes or lemon (especially in your tea?).

I've had a problem recently with the skin under my wedding ring being really irritated and itchy... I have to use a sterroid cream but have to wait until my pregnancy is over. But sometimes, when I'd put certain creams on to ease the itching and then my rings, my finger did turn a bit black there too! I never really took the time to figure out which cream it was (I have a lot of different ones) ... but yeah, something reacted with the gold. My rings are white gold - not sure of the K though. I assume 14K... DH picked them out. Weird!!

Contrary to popular belief, it is not because you are iron deficient, or that your gold is not real. Most likely it is caused by certain things causing a microscopic breakdown in the gold alloy by abrasion. The causes are often amino acids in the skin, salty perspiration, sulfer, and zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, calcium carbonate, iron oxide, all of which can be found in cosmetics and lotions. The sooty black look of the marks on your skin is the metals wearing down. Clean your jewelry often and keep your skin dry and clean as well. That can help cut down on the markings. :nuts:
Check out http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Gold-Turns-Skin-Black
An article about the topic by me.:biggrin:

OK, so this is probably going to sound like I am definately off my rocker here but...
your body might be low on iron. Take a gold ring, and draw "cat wiskers" with it on your face. If it leaves black/sooty 'wiskers' this is probably the case. Wearing it on your finger can do the same. If this is the case for you, go have your iron levels checked and take appropriate action after. Again, I am not crazy! this happened to me!!

I've had a problem recently with the skin under my wedding ring being really irritated and itchy... I have to use a sterroid cream but have to wait until my pregnancy is over. But sometimes, when I'd put certain creams on to ease the itching and then my rings, my finger did turn a bit black there too! I never really took the time to figure out which cream it was (I have a lot of different ones) ... but yeah, something reacted with the gold. My rings are white gold - not sure of the K though. I assume 14K... DH picked them out. Weird!!

If it helps any all gold starts out yellow so when the alloys are added to oxidize the gold to turn it white some people (like me) have reactions to the extra alloys. I am currently on the hunt for a yellow gold ring b/c of this (also b/c I want an upgrade for my 5 yr:graucho:) Also rhodium plating is added to make it shine this is done everytime white gold turns back yellow you could be allergic to that as well... (like me) GOOD LUCK!!!

I have had this happen to me at certain times with yellow gold rings and was told i had too much acid in my system - i think it was like eating too many tomatoes. It was really weird how it would and woudn't happen.
Sometimes I just think i need to take a polishing cloth to the ring - then you can see the black come off.

I've been having this bizarre problem. Anytime I hold a glass with condensation -- like an iced tea, for example -- in my right hand for a bit, the skin on my ring finger starts to look sooty -- like it's covered in black dust. I wear my sapphire and 14K gold ring w/ little diamonds every day -- and it's definitely all genuine materials...so I don't know why it's turning my finger black.

Anyone else ever encountered this problem?? I know that some synthetic golds turn fingers green? But this is different...and annoying!

Try coating the band of the ring with clear nail varnish and this will stop the colour change from the ring onto your finger;)

Hope this helped