Are You Also a Lover of 2 or 3 Very Different Bag Brands?

On the premier side, Ferragamo usually always delivers, but it may live a little too far in my fantasy life :P. New Celine is a bit iffy, but Philo era of Celine is basically all my aspirations come to life! I finally jumped on with a used Trapeze, but before all the colors I wanted were not readily available or discontinued and I was and am afraid of eBay!

If I can ever justify another structured top handle Valextra or a Ferragamo Studio are calling my name! Loewe is also on my potential list too. I really like the elephant, so cute. And the Barcelona. J.W. Anderson's stand alone collection looks promising sometimes. And Tom Ford too.
Thank you! Am taking notes for future searches :biggrin:

Reactions: papertiger and jade
And yet, for example Celine now is far more similar to and in tune with 70s and 80s Celine than Philo’s ever was. Not defending Slimane but just saying. Basically it feels like he’s been confined for months inside the house’s archives and he is totally into that bourgeoise French provincial girl which is what Celine was always about before Philo came along.

Same for BV, people are distraught that Maier’s heritage is being put aside, and I get it, but he himself brought his own very personal vision to the brand.
And last time Givenchy had anything to do with Hubert de’s vision was before he passed away...

I think it is just the way it is nowadays. But I also feel that if anything there is more respect for the heritage of the brand now than in, say the 90s. Designers seem to enjoy the roaming through the archives, like de Michele. I don’t think classics have ever been more in trend than now!

I like lots of the new Celine bags, but that first season was like way too many logos - that weird C bag. Ugh. Terrible. I haven't been able to see them in person, but the are spot on in photos. And of course they are not minimal in the way that Philo's bags were - which feels really different. I like the Triomphe hardware - but I always like interesting non logo hardware. I don't like the new clothing as much as #oldceline though, although the latest collection looks pretty good. That is disappointing. But in reality it doesn't matter those clothes aren't in my budget or size. I think the 70s trend is really helpful right now at getting designers to make the sort of "easy" practical clothes Philo was known for.

I am 50/50 on the new BV. I like the exaggerated weave, I think it is fun. The clothes look amazing. I think in that especially in the first season there were some weirdly impractical bags. But I like basically everything, and I think there is a lot more calling my name than before - but I am more into structured than slouchy. My take on what people are reacting to with BV is more of the new marketing approach. Before it was kinda insider/understated/exclusive/under the radar. And now they are like everyone else going for the money grab and courting influencers. Which is great for revenue and stock, not to great for old school customers who were looking for a brand that was not as "trendy" as brands like Chanel and LV.

I also do love that people are combing the archives for inspiration. It is great, and I think the 70s and 80s had a lot of great practical bags across the board, and of course these fashions are all coming back too.

I think we need to leave space for designers to have a new vision, but also not make that transition feel like whiplash.[/QUOTE]

• Love
Reactions: papertiger and 880
It’s taken a long time for me to stop discovering a bag I love, and then turning it into a need to buy more of that brand.
Epiphany when I read this ^ thank you! I am slowly learning this. It’s taken years and a lot of trial and error, and I never put it into words as clear as this. Merely saying one bag brand doesn’t fulfill all needs doesn’t do it.

Epiphany when I read this ^ thank you! I am slowly learning this. It’s taken years and a lot of trial and error, and I never put it into words as clear as this. Merely saying one bag brand doesn’t fulfill all needs doesn’t do it.

Glad this helped! Yes, it’s taken me a long time to learn that falling for one bag doesn’t mean that every style from that brand is going to work. It’s almost like I’ve wanted to have a signature brand, when the reality is, I have a few different signature styles — Hermes Kelly and Evelyne, Chanel Reissue. But because I love bags, and I want some variety, I keep trying to find more styles that work for me. :biggrin:

I had another thought. I don’t think I am brand loyal to those 3 brands (H, Coach, Fendi) I mentioned upthread, on purpose. But, It helps me narrow downs my choices. Otherwise I would be in a constant state of covetousness, if I allowed myself to have any brand I wanted, at any time. :lol:
After a bad break up I left with next to nothing. I bought nude, red and black nailpolish from the same brand and realised I didn't need more. That minimalist minset branched out to bags.

There are brands that suit my taste and my wallet. I am in no way bound to the brands I'm loyal to, but it does help weeding out the excess.

If I fall in love with something, the brand doesn't matter. When I'm looking for something new, I only check out the brands I love. I like the simplicity and use it to keep me from buying stuff I don't need. I need that because the things I want don't come cheap :lol:

I am curious. Does anyone else limit the amount of handbags you can own? I made a decision during summer 2020 that I can only own max 20 handbags. For that reason alone, owning handbags from multiple brands in different price points seems like a practical decision for me.
I do. But, only because I don’t like owning bags I don’t wear. With 365 days in a year, it makes no sense for me to own 100 bags (my high was about 150-160). I can’t get to all of them. So, 25-30is is my sweet spot. :biggrin:
I don't know if my loyalty has to do with the brand particularly so much as the style(s) quality and aesthetic often suit me best.

Of course if they change their style, lower their quality (just pausing to spit at Gucci's "easy to clean" microfibre lining) it's much harder to be loyal.
Can we slide Chanel in here too? Sigh. :hrmm:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: papertiger
I tend to buy from the same brands because I like the aesthetic (Dior / Chanel). They appeal to who I am the majority of the time with their feminine, fun, classic feel.

But, C in particular can get stodgy and predictable. That’s when I jump ship and run into Fendi / Gucci land. The bit of edge and fresher, more modern approach balances out my collection.

That being said, I still need a bag or two that pushes more into the glam rocker babe vibe that also fits me at times. Used to have bags for that but it’s a gap now. :girlsigh:

Different bags for the different sides of me.

Kipling and Coach different enough? :smile: I love Kipling nylon bags for their lightness, bright colors and pricing, but then again I'm loving Coach as well, which is pretty much the opposite on all fronts. I appreciate the quality on both but I choose them for completely different reasons.

• Love
Reactions: papertiger and 880
I am not loyal to any brand but I simply keep getting some more than others, because of aestetics either in craft or design.

I keep coming back to Fendi's designs, those which appeal to me, they have so many styles from horror ones (only to me) to the ones I would die for...........Once beloved Miu Miu I am not liking any more BUT vintage amazing leathers bring me to vintage Miu Miu hunts ...... YSL - several designs from Pilati I simply can't get enough and have in multiple colourways.

I don't like to act as a walking commercial for bags with logos, or highly recognizable bags without logos, BUT here I have quite a few Balenciagas...I have to say slightly unusual ones...not all appeal to me, but those which have all that clicks together - the size, design and colour which make a stunning bag

Hermes bags. I can't see myself with one....not my style..... EXCEPT when I see a beaten up old, amazing leather like barenia ...30 years old bag which lost every identity except for the amazing leather, smooshy at this point with beaten up hardware - something like a travel bag in Indiana Jones type movie LOL (yes I am describing one which I lost in a bid once). [But I am crazy about Hermes SLGs, in small size, the artistry is stunning, and my bags are full of pouches, calvis, notebook covers, especially foldable ones....unusual items like glove holders.....]

Chanel reminds me of a quilt bedding, and so does Dior, and I can't help it :smile:

No matter how much money I would have available for a bag, I would probably go back to these and some contemporary ones like Mansur Gavriel simple design yet amazing leather

I am not loyal to any brand but I simply keep getting some more than others, because of aestetics either in craft or design.

I keep coming back to Fendi's designs, those which appeal to me, they have so many styles from horror ones (only to me) to the ones I would die for...........Once beloved Miu Miu I am not liking any more BUT vintage amazing leathers bring me to vintage Miu Miu hunts ...... YSL - several designs from Pilati I simply can't get enough and have in multiple colourways.

I don't like to act as a walking commercial for bags with logos, or highly recognizable bags without logos, BUT here I have quite a few Balenciagas...I have to say slightly unusual ones...not all appeal to me, but those which have all that clicks together - the size, design and colour which make a stunning bag

Hermes bags. I can't see myself with one....not my style..... EXCEPT when I see a beaten up old, amazing leather like barenia ...30 years old bag which lost every identity except for the amazing leather, smooshy at this point with beaten up hardware - something like a travel bag in Indiana Jones type movie LOL (yes I am describing one which I lost in a bid once). [But I am crazy about Hermes SLGs, in small size, the artistry is stunning, and my bags are full of pouches, calvis, notebook covers, especially foldable ones....unusual items like glove holders.....]

Chanel reminds me of a quilt bedding, and so does Dior, and I can't help it :smile:

No matter how much money I would have available for a bag, I would probably go back to these and some contemporary ones like Mansur Gavriel simple design yet amazing leather

My only Bal is not popular (with Bal fans) but I absolutely love it. I can't say I don't like the Moto bags, I do, but I just prefer on others.

I certainly miss Pilati days at YSL too, but make sure you check out his work at Random Identities