Appleguarde or Loving my Bags for LV vachetta

I know. I noticed they don’t sell very well. I also didn’t see a ton of them for sale when I was looking. Most of them also had bigger issues than this one appears to. I hope I love it. I was planning on buying another Neverfull but in the Damier Azur, but I wanted something different. Keeping it or not, I just don’t want it gross after a while. When I was searching for my Cabas Mezzo a few years ago, so many of them had bottoms that were a complete disaster. Besides, my 16 year old daughter always begs me not to sell a LV any time I think of it. LOL
Your daughter is a smart cookie, I like her!

Your daughter is a smart cookie, I like her!

LOL!! It’s really funny actually. My husband bought me a Speedy 30 for our 10th anniversary. I only used it a couple of times because it’s too small. Because we went into Boston and made a whole day of it, I was reluctant to sell it so I decided I’d pass it down to my daughter when she turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. Even though she knew she was getting it, we didn’t really talk about it until I gave it to her. She was SO EXCITED when I actually gave it to her. She told me she hadn’t been able to sleep the night before because she was so happy to finally get it. I had no idea. I think I’ve created a monster LOL

Reactions: LV_BB and EdnaMode
LOL!! It’s really funny actually. My husband bought me a Speedy 30 for our 10th anniversary. I only used it a couple of times because it’s too small. Because we went into Boston and made a whole day of it, I was reluctant to sell it so I decided I’d pass it down to my daughter when she turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. Even though she knew she was getting it, we didn’t really talk about it until I gave it to her. She was SO EXCITED when I actually gave it to her. She told me she hadn’t been able to sleep the night before because she was so happy to finally get it. I had no idea. I think I’ve created a monster LOL
Sooooo cute! I want my daughters to know value in terms of buying things of quality that lasts a long time vs., throw away fashion. Your daughter is smart enough to know the difference. Good on you!

Reactions: kellyanicholson
I know. One part of me is saying ‘what the hell am I thinking w that vachetta bottom’ but it looks so beautiful.. LOL

I'm with team "leave it alone," lol, but maybe you could just spray the bottom to see how it does. I don't have any recommendations as to what to use since I do not use anything on my bags. I have had the Noe, and it is a great bag. But it is unfortunate that most of the second-hand ones look like someone purposely put it in a puddle of water, LOL.

I'm with team "leave it alone," lol, but maybe you could just spray the bottom to see how it does. I don't have any recommendations as to what to use since I do not use anything on my bags. I have had the Noe, and it is a great bag. But it is unfortunate that most of the second-hand ones look like someone purposely put it in a puddle of water, LOL.

I know. It’s crazy. I looked for a couple of weeks for one and most looked horrible. I’m hoping the one I bought is what I’m expecting or it’s back to the drawing board LOL

Reactions: cbarrus
I would recommend the apple garde, it’s made in the USA and is liked by many people. It also would, in theory, be much more effective than LMB because it is an actual hydrophobic coating on top of the Vachetta which prevents water from soaking in. I have even poured cups of water on smaller pieces with Vachetta to see how effective it was and it just beads off. As it is a coating it can wear off and needs to be resprayed at least every few months. Depending on the age of your bag (meaning how open the leather’s pores are and how much patina it has) it will darken the colour of the leather either somewhat or to an extreme extent but will dry within a few minutes (if you use too much or it settles to one part of the leather it may take a day or two to completely lighten, but it will lighten, do not worry (note: do not wear the bag until a few days have passed). I have one of those very rare all Vachetta bags that Vuitton used to take custom orders for and have even used it on that piece so I would trust it on anything with Vachetta. It is basically the same thing that us men use on our suede or nubuck loafers if we wear them out when they could get wet. If your bag is older and the leather is dry I would condition your bag using a small amount of an all natural leather conditioner before the waterproofing. Make sure the conditioner is not bad for natural leather and has no negative components (lacking silicones, artificial waxes, and oils etc) I always recommend Saphir renovatuer which is a great conditioner made in small batches in France. Stay away from Cadillac brand, kiwi brand, fieblings, or anything labeled as for automotive use or for leather upholstery.
Wow, this is really great info. Thank you for sharing the details!!

I have used Apple Garde and LMB. I prefer Apple to LMB for brand new bags. As someone said previously, just follow the directions and allow at least 30 minutes of drying time between the first and second application. My bags patina wonderfully, and stay water spot free. LMB is a good product for cleaning/conditioning/protecting vachetta on pre-loved bags, but I recently tried Apple cleaner and conditioner, and found it comparable to LMB, and at a better price! Good luck!