Anyone here an expert on tanzanite?

Thanks everyone ~ I just love it. I particularly like how the colors change in different lighting. Yesterday was very overcast here and the color was different. Such a unique stone.

I did know that about the heat treating with tanzanite. I also heard something about the cutting of the stone and if you cut to maximize the darker colors, a certain axis, you lose a lot of stone, thus making it more expensive. I know I'm not explaining it right, but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about..... :rolleyes:

Cat ~ thanks for the advice about cleaning. The jeweler did tell me that. I learned quite a bit about the stone from him, but I always like to back that up from a third party.

Tanzanite comes from only one place in the world it is expected to run out within 10 years. the factors that took place to allow tanzanite to form are (apparently) statistically unlikely to have occured anywhere else in the world.

Tanzanite is graded A, AA & AAA with the AAA being the more valuable stone. This is the darker stone that has a good mix of both blue & purple hues. The is a tanzanite society website that may be able to give you more info.

Hope that helps,

Tanzanites are usually heated to alter or improve its color and clarity. It needs special care because it is somewhat brittle, around 6 1/2 on Moh's scale. Also avoid sudden change in temperature change. It is also known as ziosite.

Tanzanite is my favorite gemstone of all time! What a beautiful ring! Let us know what you find out, and definitely take very good care of that ring. Tanzanite will be the next alexandrite- the value will skyrocket!