Alto vs florentine?

I have Bordeaux, natural, black, elephant, navy....Chestnut bags are not my favorite color....natural....something about that natural lol
that's a lot but I would do the same if I were you. The bag is pretty! does the natural look like orange? my monitor shows that it looks like one. I like the navy but the red contrast is bothering me.

Once you have a natural...that florentine bug gets you...LOL...I am leaning more towards second hand ones because of the broken in look...the leather is so buttery soft...I actually enjoy cleaning and conditioning them...

Since I can't return the bag once it arrives, I have to choose the color that won't make me regret it. My heart leans toward navy than natural. It's just pretty with the contrast hardware but the red, ugh. I think I can ignore it.

Does the florentine small satchel also lined in leather?

What color do you own? I want the chestnut one but the pictures look like the bag is more reddish than brown and the natural looks like orange while the navy one is pretty but I do not like the obvious red contrast on the zipper.
I own the florentine Cameron in light taupe, a very pale blue, and coral.
But I have Florentine handbags in other styles in almost every color of the rainbow.
Brown and tan shades are not my wardrobe colors of choice, but this year, I
have been loving Dooney handbags in natural, saddle, and chestnut. And I seem
to be buying lots of them. :smile:

Every leather takes color differently and natural in Florentine is totally different than
natural in Alto. The natural in Florentine can range from a light butterscotch color to a
deeper more caramel color shade. Over time the lighter natural shade will darken.

The chestnut in Florentine is a beautiful mid brown shade. It's very rich looking.
I don't see any red in the chestnut, but I guess it shades to a warmer brown than
to a cooler brown. A few years ago Dooney did a brown shade that was similar,
it was called ginger. The ginger had more red in it, especially on TV. In person it
was very similar to a lighter chestnut.

Remember, every dye lot of Florentine leather can vary slightly. And the online pictures
can be quite different than real life since they use a lot of lighting.

The saddle color in Alto is a mid brown. It's lighter than than the Florentine chestnut brown.
Both are warm brown shades and very classic. I wouldn't call them reddish.

I haven't compared the measurements, but I think the Alto Emilia is slightly longer
and the Florentine Cameron is slightly taller. I think the Emilia will hold a little more.
Also, the Emilia has longer strappy handles as opposed to the satchel handles on the
Cameron. both the Emilia and the Cameron are structured, but the Cameron is more structured than the Emilia.

Since I can't return the bag once it arrives, I have to choose the color that won't make me regret it. My heart leans toward navy than natural. It's just pretty with the contrast hardware but the red, ugh. I think I can ignore it.

Does the florentine small satchel also lined in leather?
Navy Florentine leather is stunning. It is one of my favorite colors of Florentine.
Navy Flo is very rich and vibrant.
At first (10 years ago) I didn't like the red zipper tape either. But now I do like the subtle contrast.
And the red zipper tape coordinates with the red cloth lining. So, it's not an
extra color.... it looks intentional.

I also think that the darker Florentine colors 'wear' better than the lighter shades.
With a dark color like navy, black, chestnut, you don't have to worry about color
transfer from clothing and rain spots seem to disappear. Lighter color Florentine
handbags can be much more fragile and hard to keep looking pristine.

I wish Dooney did more Florentine styles in Navy. This season I bought the
Tulip Shopper in navy Florentine. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I'm just beginning to appreciate natural color Florentine leather. It can look beautiful.
But.... I would always buy the navy first. I like looking at the natural, but I worry
when I carry it.

One thought about leather lining on some Florentine bags.... it's very pretty and elegant...
but it's a light color and I'm concerned that it will get dirty easily. Even keys are dirty and
sharp so I protect the leather lining from them too. I use an organizer or
pouches for everything so nothing can ruin the leather lining. With the red cloth lining
it's much less stress. But no matter what the lining.... no food or uncapped pens allowed!

Very good discussion ladies...I do tend to worry a lot about my light colored flos. I spray them down as soon as I get them and don't wear them as much...I have a fern and strawberry flo....kept under lock and key...considering slate but looks too light...navy and black when aged do they look the same? Navy almost looks black to me at times?

Navy and black Florentine don't look the same... in natural light it's easy to see the difference.
In the dark, in the closet.... navy, black, deep teals, deep greens can all look alike.

And I love these discussions also.... call us handbag geeks. :smile: We want to know more and understand
the pros and cons of each style, leather, etc. I recognize that my preferences/needs are different
from others, and that's as it should be. But more info helps us all. That's why forums like this
are so good. I've learned so much from others over the years. Having someone say an item is
great or they didn't like it is 'useful'.... but knowing why... that is really helpful.

I'm a bit color blind...my husband helps me with black and navy....navy is such a good color...and safe for spills and such....I see I am talking myself into another bag....that handled satchel bag....I don't like that the pop of green suede is not as much of a pop as the regular satchel. Bizarre but true.

I'm a bit color blind...my husband helps me with black and navy....navy is such a good color...and safe for spills and such....I see I am talking myself into another bag....that handled satchel bag....I don't like that the pop of green suede is not as much of a pop as the regular satchel. Bizarre but true.
Which 'handled satchel bag'? I need to check it out. :smile:

As for the green suede.... I have mixed feelings... feels nice and we've been told (sold) the fact
that it's a luxury element. But.... I've always had trouble with the color combinations.... green suede against a red lining isn't my choice. Then add the exterior color of the handbag..... too many colors together
for me. I think the suede should match the exterior leather color or the interior lining color. Or the interior
lining color should be more neutral if the suede is green.
But no one asks me for my opinion. :smile: And these days, fewer handbags have the green suede interior trim..... progress? styling? or just cost saving?

I saw the remark from Lavenderjunkie concerning the Alto line and the suede bags. I purchased one bag from the Alto line during the July sale. I was surprised the suede portion looked better than I expected, but price does tend to influence my opinion when I make a D&B purchase.