***A Place for the Fakes***

Ebay "authenticity guarantee" fail.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295496943069?
Seriously, what are their standards? "Well, it says Balenciaga, so I guess it's real!"
Listings marked with the blue "Authenticity Guarantee" checkmark simply means that the item will first be shipped to eBay authenticators to undergo inspection (both to confirm authenticity and if it matches the listing description), before then being sent to the actual buyer.

I have sold a few things this way. Definitely doesn't mean that the listing/item has already passed inspection for authenticity.

Reactions: PikaboICU
Listings marked with the blue "Authenticity Guarantee" checkmark simply means that the item will first be shipped to eBay authenticators to undergo inspection (both to confirm authenticity and if it matches the listing description), before then being sent to the actual buyer.

I have sold a few things this way. Definitely doesn't mean that the listing/item has already passed inspection for authenticity.
This bag was first sold on PM, for under the “authentication” limit there. Not that eBay or PM authenticators would catch this fake unfortunately…

Does "PM" refer to Poshmark/Posh? Not overly familiar with that platform or how buying/selling works on there.
Yes, sorry about that, it means PoshMark. For bags over $500, sellers ship to PM authenticators, then onto the buyer if it passes. Unfortunately I found this service to be variable, as with most authenticators. We are lucky to have the skilled folks here!

Yes, sorry about that, it means PoshMark. For bags over $500, sellers ship to PM authenticators, then onto the buyer if it passes. Unfortunately I found this service to be variable, as with most authenticators. We are lucky to have the skilled folks here!
Noted, thank you for the explanation. I wouldn't bank on eBay's authenticity program either, mostly due to lack of total transparency about their process and also the qualifications of their "authenticators."

My original comment was written to illuminate the fact that the eBay Authenticity Guarantee mark didn’t mean an item had already undergone authentication… but that it will.

I agree that TPF is a much more reliable resource.

Noted, thank you for the explanation. I wouldn't bank on eBay's authenticity program either, mostly due to lack of total transparency about their process and also the qualifications of their "authenticators."

My original comment was written to illuminate the fact that the eBay Authenticity Guarantee mark didn’t mean an item had already undergone authentication… but that it will.

I agree that TPF is a much more reliable resource.
Totally agree! Even some fakes get through even the best sites. Of course it is always “buyers beware”, but a little help from our authenticators is always appreciated! ;)