You never forget your first Bal buy...

protein_

O.G.
May 20, 2007
What was your first Balenciaga purchase?
I'll kick off with mine...

These sunglasses in 2008.

IMG_9603.jpg

I proudly purchased them with my own money (high school student at the time! lol) from Barneys in NYC in July 2008.

The case has now yellowed over time, bold sunglasses aren't entirely my style anymore, but I was (and still am!) sooo in love with them. They felt like the key to cool for a high schooler spending the summer going to "fashion camp" in the city.

I must have worn them every day that summer and then some more...! :coolio::biggrin:

Now, what was your first Balenciaga purchase?

Last edited:
2006 white City.
I rented one from Bag, Borrow or Steal, and kept extending my rental, something I never did with any others. I had that bag all summer, and wanted to cry when I finally sent it back, so I didn’t stop until I found one of my own.
Took a while.
This was the first of many.
The leather reminds me of vanilla whipped cream.

IMG_4709.jpegIMG_4710.jpeg

Mine was the ONLY bag I bought brand new and paid full retail!
WHITE Day from Barney’s in Beverly Hills. Both are long gone, but I LOVED that bag!
No pictures sadly, but it was my prized possession - and started my BALaddiction - for many years.
2006 white City.
I rented one from Bag, Borrow or Steal, and kept extending my rental, something I never did with any others. I had that bag all summer, and wanted to cry when I finally sent it back, so I didn’t stop until I found one of my own.
Took a while.
This was the first of many.
The leather reminds me of vanilla whipped cream.
OK, wow, love that White had this effect on people!

... also kinda wishing that my sister had gone for White instead of Black (that then went on perpetual loan to me when she got tired of it, like, the next year) when she got her City in early 2007... not that our department store, Holt Renfrew, likely would have still had it though, ahah. :lol:

The men's Besace messenger (on the left) was my first Balenciaga. I got it along with a men's Day bag, but I sold that one because I liked the look of the Besace a lot more. The leather on the Besace was amazing.

The other two Balenciaga bags followed soon after. I don't know the name of the one in the middle but the leather was not as distressed and a bit dry (was almost like regular calfskin, come to think of it). The Folk on the right was a nice messenger and I liked the smaller size than the Besace. I don't own any of these bags anymore. I stopped liking flap messengers as men's bags evolved. I never got the leather of the one in the middle to be distressed how I like it, so I sold it too.

CIMG4618.jpg

I love the men’s day! I’ve been on the hunt for one in the right color. I like men’s flap
Messengers for travel, but everyday use the flap is a pain. I ended up selling a lot of my Dior saddle bags for this reason :/

Very cool collection nonetheless :smile:

• Love
Reactions: averagejoe
Mine was the ONLY bag I bought brand new and paid full retail!
WHITE Day from Barney’s in Beverly Hills. Both are long gone, but I LOVED that bag!
No pictures sadly, but it was my prized possession - and started my BALaddiction - for many years.
I miss Barney’s in BH so much and the restaurant :sad:

I remember seeing the rack of all the Balenciaga’s. Sadly I was a student back then and poor lol

im poor help me GIF

I love the men’s day! I’ve been on the hunt for one in the right color. I like men’s flap
Messengers for travel, but everyday use the flap is a pain. I ended up selling a lot of my Dior saddle bags for this reason :/

Very cool collection nonetheless :smile:
What colour, I'll keep an eye out.

Reactions: protein_
I miss Barney’s in BH so much and the restaurant :sad:
I loved that store!! Best sales ever.
I smartly opened a credit card to get that bag - they were offering 10% off purchases at the time. Still spenny but worth it!
... or Barneys in general (East Coast baby here, hehe)!

It was such an aspirational dreamy department store, no matter your age or net worth. :girlsigh:

Here's my grade 6/elementary school yearbook "Ambitions"...

yearbook.jpeg

Who's gonna break it to baby protein_? :hrmm::lol:

Still have my first Barneys purchase: A Chanel lip gloss that is probably over 20 years old, but I refuse to throw it out - it's a talisman of youth and wonder!... but I digress, lol.