YIKES !!! Gorilla Escapes @ Dutch Zoo, Injures 4 **Scary Pics**

Some primates are just escape artists. They are very smart. Some just get a kick out of getting out for the day its not always that they do not like their enclosures. I can't speak for the Jersey Zoo but most every accredited Zoo (including ours) is leaning towards more natural looking enclosures that suit the animals needs best. Our chimp exhibit is large and beautiful with a huge waterfall and places they can hide from the public if they wish. Only they really love watching people and get a kick out of the public. Especially the kids!
One of our females has gotten out of the exhibit a few times and seems to enjoy teasing the troop and showing off that she got out. She always ends up going back in herself (it is their home and territory afterall). Shes a sweetie though. Loves her keepers. We have had a gorilla escape too but was successfully tranquilized when she wandered into the bathroom. We've had smaller monkeys escape when keepers accidentally left access doors open (human error!) and they will spend a night or 2 in the surrounding trees but again, always come back to their enclosure where they feel safe and secure.
The best thing to do if any animal escapes a zoo is to leave quickly or find the nearest building and barricade yourself in it. Chances are the animal is not really interested in you and will be frightened of you. I find it pretty predictable that the gorilla at the dutch zoo went straight for the cafeteria. Probably smelled pretty good to him. "What do you serve a 400 lb gorilla? Anything he wants!"
I hope the lady was not hurt too bad. She was lucky cause it would not take much for him to have killed her they are so friggin strong.

I heard on TV that the gorilla had fled before once, but that time he didn't get far. They even showed footage of that incident. They should have learned their lesson from that. I once saw a picture of a gorillas teeth... I wouldn't want those near me.

I heard on TV that the gorilla had fled before once, but that time he didn't get far. They even showed footage of that incident. They should have learned their lesson from that. I once saw a picture of a gorillas teeth... I wouldn't want those near me.

I'm sure they barricaded whatever way he got out before. He just keeps figuring out a different way. Its kinda like a hobby for them! They love to figure stuff out.

I would be so scared. I am a big fan of monkeys and gorillas but it would be terrifying to see a 400 lb gorilla running your way. I was at a zoo in memphis, tn and this gorilla was sitting by this huge window and all these little kids were waving and smiling then all of a sudden the gorilla ran up closer and pounded on the window with both fists. The kids fell backwards and were screaming. It was very scary and the poor teachers were trying to call down about 15 screaming kids who looked to be around 5 yrs old.