Home & Garden wood floors in whole house or carpet in bedrooms?

sounds good
we looked a lot of homes and most people with dogs went with either tile or laminate - something that could hold up to dogs.
Good for you if you got stained concrete for a good price. The company that quoted us was as expensive as the nice engineered wood we got.
Yeah, you have to get several quotes as with anything. I think I paid about $3.60 per sq. ft. and I did my entire first floor which was about 2500 sq. ft. Ten years later I haven't done anything but sweep and mop it. No other maintenance.

Hello!

I grew up with carpets thrown on the hardwood floor in the bedroom, living room and hallway.

Lately I noticed more and more carpet-free apartments. I like the cool look, but it is also cool tempersture wise (our floor gets cold during the winter months)
Also, I am not sure if the room looks more or less spacious without the carpet thrown on the floor.

Maybe I just need a new carpet in a popping colour? (my bedroom carpet is brown/beige/grey, furniture is white and beige) :tup:

Ok random (and maybe slightly gross) question: for anyone who has hardwood in a powder room or bathroom, do you have an issue with the wood holding onto odors? I ask because my neighbors mentioned how their hardwood in the powder room smells like urine because of when they were potty training their son.

We're putting hardwoods throughout our main floor and were planning to include the powder room too. However, this made me rethink things. Wasn't sure if anyone else has a similar issue or if it's just because the neighbors don't exactly keep a tidy home or clean up spills and messes right away.

Ok random (and maybe slightly gross) question: for anyone who has hardwood in a powder room or bathroom, do you have an issue with the wood holding onto odors? I ask because my neighbors mentioned how their hardwood in the powder room smells like urine because of when they were potty training their son.

We're putting hardwoods throughout our main floor and were planning to include the powder room too. However, this made me rethink things. Wasn't sure if anyone else has a similar issue or if it's just because the neighbors don't exactly keep a tidy home or clean up spills and messes right away.

Don't have hardwood in my bathrooms but I never thought it could hold onto odors.. wow..
I have heard hardwood isn't a good idea for bathrooms because the moisture will damage the wood.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89

We haven't had any issues with our wood floors holding onto odors. When we bought our house, it had carpeting throughout and smelled like smoke since the previous owner was a smoker.

I agree with the person who said wood floors aren't best for the bathroom though.

I would never put hardwood in any of my bathrooms, especially if I was getting hardwood without a gloss finish over it, because I would think it would be very porous. I have ceramic in all of my bathrooms.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't put hardwoods in a full bath, but since it's just a powder room, I figured it should be ok. I just like the look of continuous hardwood, but we did consider putting the same printed tile that is going in our foyer.

Reactions: Materielgrrl
Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't put hardwoods in a full bath, but since it's just a powder room, I figured it should be ok. I just like the look of continuous hardwood, but we did consider putting the same printed tile that is going in our foyer.
but if your toilet overflows the wood could be ruined.....

If the hardwood is properly sealed & you clean up right away I don't see how odor could be an issue. If it was continuous and uncared for maybe...
That being said I would not put hardwood in a bathroom or kitchen because any plumbing could go wrong at any time - even a powder room can have a toilet back up or a sink clog... or burst pipe.

My dishwasher flooded my kitchen last spring & I was happy it was tile. My house is all hardwood except kitchen & baths.

i live on a slab, so our hardwood floors are engineered wood. technically they could be sanded down and refinished, but i am not relying upon that...the top wood layer isn't very thick. i wouldn't put them in a bathroom, i have them in our kitchen...and 5 years later no problems, but i always fear a leak.

i have had the refrigerator leak in the past, as well as the dishwasher...and i have no idea how i would repair that.

We moved Florida in December 2016. The house we are renting has no carpet, only tile. This is a first for us. It took a bit husband t get used to.
We are getting new construction built and we are paying an extra $5k NOT to have carpet. I don't like how bad the high traffic areas can get to looking. We are getting area rugs

We have timber in the living areas, tile in the kitchen/bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms. We're in an apartment and changing the tiled areas to timber just involved too many compliance headaches with the Body Corporate :whut: The carpet in the bedrooms is nice, it makes them both quieter and a bit warmer.