Why has Dooney & Bourke seems to have fallen out of favor with buyers??

ItzBellaDuh I love your red chiara! The color is gorgeous! I have never really been a big fan of D&B. The bags just aren't my style. I bought one a few years ago on QVC and returned it a week later. It has heavy, a little too big, and didn't fit my lifestyle. I have always like the chiara bags but just not enough to buy one. Just my opinion.

I have fond memories of my 1st D&B my mom bought me when I was in the 3rd grade. It was an AWL hunter green drawstring with carmel colored leather trim, a bottom ziparound compartment that was lined in sueded leather with an attached mirror at the the top of the compartment. It was my 1st recognizable brand-name bag. I miss it for sentimental reasons & also that bag was indestructable. Glad to see that D&B is listening to all the demands for AWL & is coming aout with a nice variety of them. The duck logo that some do not like well, the reason that the duck is their logo is because a duck repells water & so does D&B's AWL. The spokes person for D&B said that on a D&B show on QVC. Any brand that's popular eneough to be knocked off is not on a downward trend in op. D&B & D&B knock-offs are very prevalent where I live. The fact that "everyone & their Grandma" has a D&B bag should'nt really be a put off for anyone wanting one. Buy a less common style of that brand. & think about it, brands & designers WANT to appeal to a wide variety of demographics, that's how they make money & stay in business. Sure, we all want a different bag & be unique but, we are a society that tries to "fit in" as well.

Last edited:
Because many fashionable ladies don't really want to carry around a bag with popsicles on it? I think some of their designs were whimsical and cute but much better suited for accessories rather than bags. And, on the flip side, many of their bags border on matronly.

The everyday fashionista doesn't want to look like a 10 year old nor an 80 year old...

That said, I think DB does make some FABULOUS bags at times, great selection of colors and I like the shapes of multiple bags they make!

^^ This.

As soon as I saw the bag being sold on QVC, I KNEW the brand was going downhill fast...plus the bags being outsourced to China instead of being manufactured in the good ole USA made me turn my nose on this brand.

Didn't D&B used to be manufactured in the U.S.? I hate when an "American company" outsources to other countries like China! Does it stop me from buying a Coach or Dooney I like? No. I just wish they'd heed customer requests to manufacture in the U.S.

Didn't D&B used to be manufactured in the U.S.? I hate when an "American company" outsources to other countries like China! Does it stop me from buying a Coach or Dooney I like? No. I just wish they'd heed customer requests to manufacture in the U.S.

I think they did make them in the US at one time. I had AWL Doonies back in "the day". IMHO, they started struggling when they added so much more to the brand and steered away from their AWL line which was once of very good quality. I do have a friend who has a Dooney and loves hers -- I will admit, it's a nice-looking, quality bag. I'm not sure which Dooney line it's from.

I checked out some of the D&B patterns you guys talked about and some of them I'd love to have in small accessories. Like a little scottie dog coin purse? Cute! or just a keychain in the shape of the scottie?
I'm not sure if a regular sized bag would ever work with my style but I think you can play around a bit more with accessories. They're not seen all the time so who cares? Plus, they're so much cheaper, if you get bored of it quickly it doesn't feel like you wasted your money.

I just had to add my 2cents...although I carry my LVs and Coaches, one of my favorite bags is my Dooney Ice Pops bucket! It is great for summer and is a bright, playful look with shorts or a summer dress. I'm not a youngster, either - but a young 50 and I get lots of compliments on such a fun purse. It's the bag to carry when we go out for ice cream! I do have to admit that that's the only Dooney I like, though, the other designs, hearts, scribbles, etc., and colors do look too young for me - but buckets are a pretty classic shape!

I seem to remember all the workmanship was guaranteed, and you could send them to the manufacturer for repairs and maintenance (in Connecticut, I think). I had one of those green bags with the duck on it in the 1980s. It was indestructible.

I checked out some of the D&B patterns you guys talked about and some of them I'd love to have in small accessories. Like a little scottie dog coin purse? Cute! or just a keychain in the shape of the scottie?
I'm not sure if a regular sized bag would ever work with my style but I think you can play around a bit more with accessories. They're not seen all the time so who cares? Plus, they're so much cheaper, if you get bored of it quickly it doesn't feel like you wasted your money.

^ITA! I want a scottie camera case. :biggrin:

As soon as I saw the bag being sold on QVC, I KNEW the brand was going downhill fast...plus the bags being outsourced to China instead of being manufactured in the good ole USA made me turn my nose on this brand.

I saw a Gucci, Burberry, Louis Vuitton and Chanel handbags being offered on the "Price is Right" the other day for contestants to bid on them, so does that too make you turn your nose away. Besides all the brand outsource to China.

Reactions: realiteartificielle