Why did my nail polish turn black?

Occulus Jaden

Jan 10, 2023
I painted my nails with OPI Sheer Creme Finish Nude (no top coat). The color is beige pink and I love it. However, within a few days the color on the nails slowly turn to black. Especially the tip is dark and it’s the worst for the thumb and index and middle fingers.

My guess is that it’s reacting to some chemicals I touch? The only things that come to interact with my hands are Vaseline, soap, coconut oil, and some skin lotion. I don’t touch harsh chemicals or spices (although I cook a lot). I don’t touch newspaper or any printed material. Can you think of the possible causes?

Thank you so much! 😊

I eat some foods with my hand, that's the way here. I notice when I eat food that's yellow due to tumeric (curries etc), the nail polish colour will change.
It might be some dye on clothing, foods etc. Is it both hands? If worse for your dominant hand, then definitely something you touched. It doesn't have to be harsh to stain. All things are made up of chemical compunds, even us. Some reaction doesn't automatically mean its dangerous.

I eat some foods with my hand, that's the way here. I notice when I eat food that's yellow due to tumeric (curries etc), the nail polish colour will change.
It might be some dye on clothing, foods etc. Is it both hands? If worse for your dominant hand, then definitely something you touched. It doesn't have to be harsh to stain. All things are made up of chemical compunds, even us. Some reaction doesn't automatically mean its dangerous.

That’s a good guess. I do wear a lot of black. So I did an experiment and wore only light-colored clothes for a few days and my nails kept changing colors ☹ So it might not be clothes.

But I think you’re probably right that it’s something I touch because it’s worse on the tip and worse for the thumb and index and middle fingers. I painted my nails on different days, so I can paint them on the same day to see if it happens to my dominant hand first.

I don’t cook with turmeric or things that have strong colors, but I cook a lot and I cook with garlic and onion. So I wonder if it’s food ingredients?? I’ll have to keep looking. I can wear gloves while doing different things to see which activity might be causing it :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your thought!

• Insightful
Reactions: Jktgal
Agree with above posts re dark jeans or something you touch. Are you wearing dark lined gloves? If your fingers are very well moisturized with an oil based moisturizer, I can see them picking up some dye.

Reactions: Occulus Jaden
Does it stain whe you wear all brands of nail polish?
Also, those fingers you mentioned (on your dominant hand?) are the ones used to write, might also be the pen or mouse? Or kitchen knife handle?

Exciting mistery to solve...
Yes it happened with other nail polishes as well.

This time I wore a topcoat to see if it happened again... and it did! Within 1 day, it started to darken. It seems to happen at a slower pace compared to not having a topcoat.
I think we can rule out chemicals from food because they don't come in direct contact with the polish (only the top coat)
I don't use a pen or mouse, I only type. But if it's typing causing it wouldn't it discolor just the tip? The kitchen knife is aluminum, so no dye there.
Dominant hand and the other hand seem to be equal rate of darkening.

Another thing I found is that it doesn't seem to happen with toe nails. They touch dark things too.

Yes, mystery deepens...!! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: Jktgal
Agree with above posts re dark jeans or something you touch. Are you wearing dark lined gloves? If your fingers are very well moisturized with an oil based moisturizer, I can see them picking up some dye.
I do moisturize my hands a few times a day. I didn't know that made dye stick.
It happens slowly with a top coat on. If dye were the cause, wouldn't a top coat stop it? Unless it's rubbing off on the top coat too.
FYI it doesn't seem to happen with toe nails, but they touch dark things too.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: